Audio 'Puter speakers for <20K

SiriusB

Adept
I am going to Ritchie street this saturday to buy me a speaker set for my computer (and a couple of 500GB Hdds, but that's another story!).
I am replacing my ATP3 (which I will be selling to my friend for one thou'). I initially thought of going with the MX5021, but then decided not to skimp on the speaker budget. Also, I have decided to buy my first 5.1 channel sound system :clap: The obvious sound system of choice at this budget seems to be Logitech Z-5500. Not many speakers seem to have been released for sometime now..
Being not very much "in" with the audio market, I bought a couple of A/V magazines (AVMax & What HiFi) but I think I over-estimated my ability to make decisions...

I made a checklist of a few things that will be affecting my speaker selection:
  • I like Bass
  • I use headphones for gaming & movies, 99% of the time
  • don't like to have seperate Amps, transports and what-nots
  • distance to speakers is atmost 1 meter (nearfield speakers?)
  • limited space on my desk (will see about buying another desk soon)

Frankly, the z5500 is tempting. Is there anything similar?

SiriusB said:
  • I use headphones for gaming & movies, 99% of the time

eh? Whats the point of this speaker then? Music ? Then its better you go with 2 channel setup. You use the headphones for 99% of the time, then you should think about spending on a good headphones.

There is a difference b/w bass and boom. What you get in Z5500 is boom aka loose bass. Z5500 may be good for gaming, but a big no no for Music.

If its mainly for music....MX5021.

Klipsch Promedia is very good too with an awesome woofer but the preamp build quality is not upto the mark. MX5021 is a safer buy IMO.

OT: but what did you gain by skipping the first three letters of the word "computer" in the title ?

Did it take too much effort to type two more characters ? Instead of ' , you could have as well typed COM.

-1 for the Z5500; Boom box; :|

Get a Klipsch Promedia 2.1; Would be a def better buy than even the much popular MX5021; :)

<10k I believe;

Lemme ask a question, is boom bad? I agree that the bass is a waste if the boom is as bad as in the inspire 2.1 series' subs. But Im guessing it won't be THAT bad on the 5500. Concidering the overall value factor seeing it is a decent 5.1 setup for ~15-20k, isn't it an allrounder capable of satisfying most of the users (obiviously not audiophiles)?

Disclaimer: I've never heard the 5500 and have an ATP3

gannu said:

Get a Klipsch Promedia 2.1; Would be a def better buy than even the much popular MX5021; :)

<10k I believe;

Promedia 2.1 is not available in India. Dont mix it up with the klipsch GMX series. From what i read performance wise the MX5021 and the Promedia are pretty close with the Klipsch doing better with lows and highs while Altec having the edge on the mids.

@TS, for movies and games go for the logitechs but if its for music I would suggest the Audioengine A5

Kumar said:
Lemme ask a question, is boom bad? I agree that the bass is a waste if the boom is as bad as in the inspire 2.1 series' subs.

Its neither bad or good :p some people like it and some people dont. Depends on your taste and what kind of sound you are used to.

I am sure all the owners of the Z680 or Z5500 would definitely recommend the speakers, the set are an absolutely VFM and have never let anyone down :) , no other speakers in that price range comes in the same league.

And it all depends on how the speakers are setup and source of music. Even a highend system might sound like crap if not setup correctly. So get the Z5500 with your eyes closed, take some time to set them up properly, replace the OEM speaker cables with some decent speaker cables, connect through a decent quality coax/optical and play some DTS tracks, and you are all set to wake up the neighbours :D . Give the speakers the respect they deserve :bleh:

Thank you for your input guys. So,
MX5021
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
AudioEngine A5
Z680
Z5500

Unfortunately, there seems to be no place to get an audition of these speakers. But, then again, I really want to upgrade to 5.1! I want teh option to switch to 5.1 mode when I game on my speakers. I should say that I use headphones exclusively for movies and, since gaming sessions last longer, I switch over to speakers most of the time.

But, since then I will only be left with the z5500(afaik), here's some last effort to get more choices:

1. Sorry for n00b question, but is there a way to reduce "boominess" with equalizer settings?

2. Are there subwoofers I can buy and connect to, say, an AudioEngine setup? Is it even worth it?

3. So are the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 available here? Like bottle says, I can only find the GMA.

Words of wisdom:
Its neither bad or good some people like it and some people dont. Depends on your taste and what kind of sound you are used to.
And it all depends on how the speakers are setup and source of music. Even a highend system might sound like crap if not setup correctly.
There is a difference b/w bass and boom. What you get in Z5500 is boom aka loose bass. Z5500 may be good for gaming, but a big no no for Music.

klipsch promedia 2.1 is available even at primeabgb....
equalizer tweaks is possible to reduce 'boom boom'..
z5500 isn't a good choice...

ohhh n btw u mentiond 99% gaming n movie on headphns???...
if for music only get the klipsch promedia 2.1....they r great for music..
and so is mx5021 paired with a good soundcard(xonar)....bass of mx5021 is sweet
If u gonna put headphnds for moviez n games...then go for 2.1 mx5021 or klipsch promedia....paired with a good soundcard...IMO.
Cheers

If U have 20k then spend 5-6k on good headphones(Sennheiser), 4-5k on sound card (Auzentech Xplosion if it has no flaws or increase budget and get Xfi/Asus), and rest good speaker like Audio Engine 2.0 or klipsch.

gannu said:

<10k I believe;

wat boom box ???

just lower the output of the SUB with the very handy remote in ur hand
and it then becomes as u wud want

Back