PuTTy

meet_me

Disciple
Hey guys!!
Can anybody please tell me how to access a remote computer using PuTTy? I did try it but i am not able to get to the screen where it asks u for ur username and password... it doesnt even give me a message like connection timed or something..
please help me...
it is urgent!!
thanks in advance

vnc rocks.. putty is alsoa good client :) y dont u cimply use netmeeting real good.
Location of netmeeting in winxp
C:\Program Files\NetMeeting\conf.exe

Putty is my application of choice of accessing remote computers running SSH.Very light & featured application.

@OP

For accessing a remote computer,it should be running a service like Telnet,SSH..& ready for accepting connections.

If the service isnt present you wont get further to the username/password prompt.

hi
thanx for ur responses.. i want to connext to a Unix system frm my home windows system. u mentioned that i need to hav a SSH or TelNet connection before i cud go further...
how do i do that? i want to learn to do that with Putty...
thanks again
regards,

If you only want to connect to the command line of a unix system, then telnet should be enuf....

if you want to go graphical, use VNC, specifically, try Symantec's PC Anywhere.

i found the real VNC server + tight VNC viewer a killer combo.Have the RealVNC on my home system and tightVNC viewer on a USB drive.

KingKrool said:
If you only want to connect to the command line of a unix system, then telnet should be enuf....
if you want to go graphical, use VNC, specifically, try Symantec's PC Anywhere.
Telnet is a cause of lots of problems and hence is disabled by default on most systems these days. SSH is the only way out.

^Plus password travels in clear text in Telnet.IMO Telnet is passe :p SSH is the way to go for remote management on CLI.SSH service is on by default on most distros.

Sorry, I meant SSH..... really. I was in a rush to get to dinner when I typed that out.

Telnet is limited in its abilities anyway... SSH allows you to do anything and everything you need, including formatting, mounting etc (depending on the account you use to login)

Back