Monitors Queries about 19" Monitor

zhopudey

Skilled
I'll get my Sapphire X800 GTO2 in november. :clap: ( hope its moddable).
I'm buying my new rig next month, and was thinking about getting a 19" monitor, as the x850xt pe can do 1600x1200 in most of today's games.

I know only of the Samsung 997DF, which s for around 12-13K. Any other monitor from viewsonic/phillips around the same price? And is anyone using the 997DF? How is it? I read the user reviews for the 990DF @egg. Though the majority were positive, there were a few specific negative reviews...

I bought this monitor replace a NEC I have had for years, but was finally circling the drain. The fine dot pitch attracted me, plus that it was optimized for 1600x1200. Had I known about the incredibly poor sweep linearity of the monitor I would not have purchased it.

The picture at resolutions of 1280x1024 or 1024x768 is very distorted, and cannot be corrected by the monitor settings. It looks squeezed in the middle, and the focus varies significantly such that the middle of the screen is almost unusable.

At 1600x1200 the picture and the focus improve, but the sweep is not linear. The horizontal sweep starts slowly so that items on the left portion of the screen appear to be horizontally squeezed.

The color and brightness are good and it has a very good high voltage power supply so there is no perceptible picture blooming as the screen switches from light to dark.

Also the monitor will not sync to vertical refresh rates faster than 60 Hz with out the picture vibrating. I am very disappointed by this monitor.

As an engineer who spent 4 years of his career designing video displays for fighter planes I would recommend staying away from this monitor.

What is this vertical sweep thing hes complaining about?

First off, ill say that i'm an avid pc gamer. The quality of my monitor is very important to me. I purchased this monitor because the reviews were great, the dot pitch was very low, but sadly, the image quality is not what I expected. After using beautiful Viewsonic monitors for years, I have to say this was a let-down. Yes, the dot-pitch is low, but there's a catch. It's the *horizontal* dot-pitch only. The vertical dot-pitch seems high, thus the image quality is not as superb as my past two Vixxxxxcs. The Samsung website doesn't even list the vertical dot-pitch for this monitor, and now I know why. While the image quality isn't terrible by any means, i've just become used to better image quality. I recommend purchasing a Vxxxxxxic "graphics series" monitor instead. The extra money is definitely worth it if you are as picky about your monitor as I am. If newegg accepted exchanges on monitors, that is what i'd be doing right now.

Is there any affordable (<15K) 19" Viewsonic?

get the viewsonic 19". it can do 70 or 75hz on 1600 where as my samsung 19" 955b can do 60hz on 1600. i dont know the specs of the 19" that u mentioned. if it can do 70 or 75hz @ 1600 then get that.

I purchased my Samsung SyncMaster 955b 19" CRT back in April'2002. I've never had
any problems with it so far. To save my eyes, I'm using a 3M IN230XL protective glass.
Samsung monitors are quite reliable, though there are better alternatives out there.
I think Philips, ViewSonic, NEC and Sony are slightly better than LG and Samsung.

In fact, I was willing to go for a Philips 19" in 2002, but the model I was after was not
available at that time. The Samsung 19" CRT cost me 19,800/- then. 3M screen came
for 3,800/-. Still, my 955b can do only 1280x1024@75 and maxes out at 1600x1200@68.

Look for a CRT that can do 1600x1200@75 at least. Video bandwidth should be 200MHz
or higher. And get an Anti-Glare and Anti-Radiation screen if you can. It'll save your eyes!

- Yamaraj

997DF does do 1600x1200@75 and also 2048x1536@60. So that is not a problem. It does have one problem though.... geometry... Its hard to get the geometry right. You have to tweak the hell out of it to get it to work properly. The colors too are a little undersaturated which is pretty typical of samsung monitors. If you can find a G series 19" Viewsonic, get it. Stay away from the E series though...

The Samsung 997DF is a nice choice too. 200Mhz Video Bandwidth.

1600x1200 @ 75 and maxes out @ 2048x1536@60

Around 13k i think, kidoman just purchased that screen.

He has problems at 640*480 though. Pixelized images.

goldenfrag said:
The Samsung 997DF is a nice choice too. 200Mhz Video Bandwidth.
1600x1200 @ 75 and maxes out @ 2048x1536@60
Around 13k i think, kidoman just purchased that screen.
He has problems at 640*480 though. Pixelized images.

I went and checked a few other monitors out, like the Philips 19" and Sony Trinitor.......... all showed me the same effect at 640x480. Seems like the larger vertical dot pitch (.25) compared to (.21) horizontally is same across all 19" monitors and responisble for the slightly pixeled appearance. Now I am used to it (4 days) and hence no complain. I have to get a good antiglare screen, as I want my eyes to remain spec free for atleast another 30 years :D:D

BTW, yes, it can do 1600x1200 at 76 Hz but i suggest not using it...... image is too small and Slightly blurry for eyes. Use one notch lower (13x10) and use 85 Hz. Much better.

^^ i have an age old Compaq P900...has Sony Trinitron tube...

max is 1920x1440..60Hz, eyes hurt...but the clarity is amazing at 1600x1200, 85Hz..75Hz sucks

EDIT :

here's a pic of the monitor..i sit atleast 2 feet away from the monitor..still doesnt feel small

i got it for 6500 only :p 19" flat, does 1600x1200 85Hz, dual input...wat else do u want? :p

Back