Query about Isohunt.com

Another thing, I'm downloading now at a comfortable 15 Kbps while uploading at 5 Kbps which is o.k. I guess, the other thing I saw were hashfails. I have one hasfail which is close to 20 MB now can somebody explain me what is hashfail. Is it something other than the obvious (that some part of the movie became corrupted) or something like that.

after some searching it became it sometimes is a packet loss, sometimes it's an integrity hash check which says that piece is not right also but anyway it's a good thing. :)

A 20mb hash fail can't be packet loss. Most probably someone in the swarm had a virus which infected his part of the torrent and he was trying to upload the same to you.
Your BT client ran a hash check and since it's impossible to maintain hash integrity even if 1 bit is changed, it discarded the 'dirty' 20mb worth of data.

One of the reasons why torrents are infinitely more safer than random RapidShare communities where you are at the mercy of any random individual who may or may not have uploaded a worm infected file.

With torrents your data is cross-checked against everyone in the swarm. So unless everyone in the swarm has the exact same worm, you are safe :p

Thanx sumail. Another question, what happens if the system crashes when one is downloading stuff to a certain partition. Should one do chkdsk or one can rely on the torrent client to check for data integrity for the same. This is different from what sumail had answered for above. It's also a cross-post with the same question asked there.

@shirish : the basic principle is acc to the ram u allot to the p2p client..it downloads the pieces to the ram & when the ram u alloted becomes full .. it writes the data to the HDD. :)

U can rely on the inbuilt file checking modules for this..i think its' called 'force recheck' in Azureus...where it checks the integrity of the file u select.

Isohunt is not a tracker it is only a torrent search engine... If you are on Bsnl Home 500 then just get utorrent and schedule it to download between 2am and 8am only... in that case you can do your uploads as well as downloads and not worry about the limit being reached... hence there should be no problem for you to upload. Also trackers will block you if your download to upload ratio goes below a certain number so it is always advisable to keep uploading the torrent till the ratio is alteast 1 i.e. you have uploaded as much as you have downloaded.

Back