Query about tourist visa to USA

Need some help here. My dad and brother are having visa interview at Delhi on 13th and 14th of this month. We had to do Delhi since we were not getting any bookings in Mumbai. So can you one tell me how soon we can expect to collect passport (assuming their Visa is approved) ? Also in Mumbai, is it supposedly to be collected at consulate instead of some bluedart office ?
All depends on when we can collect passport, the ticket bookings.

So can you one tell me how soon we can expect to collect passport (assuming their Visa is approved) ?
From as early as 3 days up to a max of 2 weeks I guess.
Also in Mumbai, is it supposedly to be collected at consulate instead of some bluedart office ?
Please check official website. AFAIK, all visa stamped passports have to be collected only in the blue dart centers. If you fail to collect within a couple of weeks, the passport is sent back to the consulate, and you will have to pick it up from there. You will have to find out from someone from Mumbai.

From as early as 3 days up to a max of 2 weeks I guess.

Please check official website. AFAIK, all visa stamped passports have to be collected only in the blue dart centers. If you fail to collect within a couple of weeks, the passport is sent back to the consulate, and you will have to pick it up from there. You will have to find out from someone from Mumbai.

So much time ? I was expecting to actually get it next day or max 2 days after. I got mine exactly next day in Pune when my interview was in Mumbai.
We were actually planning on getting a ticket of 17th or 18th.
I collected my passport from Pune VFS center and not blue dart.

So much time ? I was expecting to actually get it next day or max 2 days after. I got mine exactly next day in Pune when my interview was in Mumbai.
We were actually planning on getting a ticket of 17th or 18th.
I collected my passport from Pune VFS center and not blue dart.
The time varies from center to center. I guess metros have faster processing times. I got mine on the 5th day after approval (My interview was in Chennai, and delivery address in Coimbatore).
About the delivery address, I have no idea about Mumbai / Pune centers. Someone with personal experience should be a better help.

@raksrules not to create unnecessary panic or anything but apparently there was some "systems issue" which caused the cancelation in scheduled interviews from June22nd to some day in July (not sure of the dates) in US consulates in India. One of my friends who is currently in US on H1 was supposed to visit India and he had to cancel the trip because of this.
My parents had their interview a week prior to this closure and they were granted visitor visa but the passports took a long time to come through. At the time, the website said they were prioritizing certain categories of Visas. We had to wait for almost 3 weeks for B2!

From this link, it appears that they have cleared a majority of the backlog but I'd suggest you be prepared for a slight delay in getting the passport.
http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/news/technological-systems-issue.html

@red-devil

Yes I am aware about the systems issue. My father and brother's visa interview was scheduled in Mumbai in the same week when this problem came up, 23rd I suppose was the date. That is why they had to opt for Delhi.
I have told them to only "block" the ticket now and not actually book.

@raksrules

Ok, as long as you are aware of the potential delays... :)

BTW, how do you "block" tickets? And what is the preferred option to book tickets - via kayak/orbitz/whatever or the airline website or a travel agent?

@raksrules

Ok, as long as you are aware of the potential delays... :)

BTW, how do you "block" tickets? And what is the preferred option to book tickets - via kayak/orbitz/whatever or the airline website or a travel agent?
We are going through agent. We ourselves cannot block tickets but agents can. My company does this all the time (but we are not using agent from my company).
After the interview, assuming Visas are granted (I am very very scared of this part), I will immediately start tracking their passports by sending the passport# to their email id which returns you the status of the passport. I believe it also gives tracking number of bluedart. Happened in my case. I kept tracking and by night it was on the way to Pune (from Mumbai) and in morning I saw delivered at VFS office so I went there even before I got the email.
If we think the passports will come soon we will accordingly convert the block into a confirmed booking.

If we think the passports will come soon we will accordingly convert the block into a confirmed booking.
Once your visa is approved, you can go ahead with the booking. I don't understand why you want to wait until you have the passports in hand. (Or is it like you want them to travel as early as possible, but you can't risk booking a ticket, because passports might not be delivered on time before travel?)

Once your visa is approved, you can go ahead with the booking. I don't understand why you want to wait until you have the passports in hand. (Or is it like you want them to travel as early as possible, but you can't risk booking a ticket, because passports might not be delivered on time before travel?)

The thing is, biometric and interview is on 13th and 14th July. We want them to travel on 17th early morning flight (before 3AM), which means we need to have passport in hand by 16th evening at least. Now there is absolutely no guarantee that this will happen. I will start tracking passport once their interview is done and hopefully approved and that should hopefully give me an idea of when we will receive.
They are gonna make all preparations of travel. If I want to take one more day delay then I can tell them to book on 18th early morning flight but I really want them to come soon and be here for longer. This is the reason I cannot "book" the tickets of the date we want. Uncertainty of passport arrival at pickup location (which is the biometric center in Mumbai).

Ok guys, so my dad and brother's visas are done and approved. :happy:
They had interview today morning at 10 AM.
Now comes the important task of tracking the passport. So here is how it is as of now...

1. I emailed the address passportstatus@usatraveldocs.com and in reply got "Your passport is still with post." No idea what this means.
2. I went to this URL and punched in the passport number in the slot provided and I get reply as "Your passport is still with the US Embassy/Consulate".
3. I went to this URL and punched in the DS-160 confirmation number and I get this...

Code:
Ready
Application ID or Case Number:  XXXXXXX
Case Creation Date: 13-Jul-2015
Status Updated Date: 13-Jul-2015

Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check your status after two business days. If no interview was required, please check back in two business days for the status of your application. 
For more information, please visit [URL='http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/']U.S. Embassy New Delhi.[/URL]

I am confused at this moment and not sure what and when to expect the passport. I know it has not even been 12 Hours since their interview.

The passport status is still showing as "Your passport is still with post.". I know it will be delivered / ready to pick up sometimes in next few days but more than 24 hours and no movement in the status yet.
I wanted them to travel asap once passport is received but I see no movement at all in status.

Ok guys, so my dad and brother's visas are done and approved. :happy:
Congrats..!

The passport status is still showing as "Your passport is still with post.". I know it will be delivered / ready to pick up sometimes in next few days but more than 24 hours and no movement in the status yet.
Should update by tomorrow I guess. AFAIK, it takes at least 24hrs for the visa printing to be done. So, hopefully it should become trackable once it is dispatched today.

Congrats..!

Should update by tomorrow I guess. AFAIK, it takes at least 24hrs for the visa printing to be done. So, hopefully it should become trackable once it is dispatched today.

The thing is, mine was so quick. It's like my interview happened today at 3 PM and tomorrow morning I had passport in hand at 11 AM in Pune (Less than 24 Hours). This was when I had been for the interview in Mumbai.

I seriously hope what you are saying is right and it is dispatched today and it comes tomorrow for pickup. It is nail biting especially because their travel dates all depend on this only.

^^ All you can do is hope and pray. :p

On the main ustraveldocs website it shows "with post" but the CEAC website it says "Administrative Processing ". This has been updated today. No idea what this means now. It was in status "Ready" (not ready for pickup) yesterday with update date of 13th (which is the biometrics date).
Then it says...

Code:
Application ID or Case Number: XXXXXX
Case Creation Date: 13-Jul-2015
Status Updated Date: 15-Jul-2015

Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. Please follow any instructions provided by the Consular Officer at the time of your interview. If further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved, it will be processed and mailed/available within two business days.

Why does it say "if your application is approved", because the visa officer did say it is approved at the time of interview.

Some of my relatives gave the interview in Mumbai on Monday afternoon (As a family of 4). They got the passports at home today morning.

I am reading everything related to admin processing and they are saying it is because they want to do additional check and stuff. Problem is that there is not fixed timelines and max is 90 days. WTF.
This is messing up with our plans. Never expected the application to in this status. The visa officer said it was approved. No form or 221g or ping slip was issued, wasn't told to go to another counter, nothing.

Back