PC Peripherals [query] APC UPS discount due to active PFC incompatibilty?

rajil.s

Adept
Hi all,

I have a Back-UPS RS 800VA which as everybody knows doesnt work with Active PFC PSU's. Is anybody aware of APC giving a trade-in discount if want to have it replaced with Smart-UPS 750VA?

My intentions by the way is to use the UPS with a corsair CX500 psu. The firmware of the UPS is FIRMWARE : 9.o4 .I USB FW:eek:4

Thanks

IMHO you can use your existing UPS with CX500. many members here are using the same UPS with VX450.

Just don't put your system on UPS power for long time. Use UPS back just to save your files and shutdown.

Can't say anything about the trade discount but you can always call the CC and see what they say.

I too used the BackUPS-RS1000 with my Corsair VX450 for 2 years and not a single issue to report. I used the rig on battery power for long durations and still no issues.

Mine (vx450) just makes a slight humming noise while on UPS backup power, but I am on iball Nirantar UPS. No issues of PC shutdown during switching.

With the APC there is no humming sound at all. Infact, my ups is located in another room and when on battery, I cannot even tell that there is a power failure.

I have sent an email to APC about the discount. If anything worthwhile comes out of it i will let you know. My only concern is that there is a lot of voltage fluctuation at my place due to which the UPS tends to switch to battery mode quite often. This means the inrush power is needed so much often which is not good.

Also it seems UPS made after 2008 have a better firmware to deal with active PFC. My UPS has a serial number starting with JB08 which i suspect was made in 2008 which could be more error prone.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vivacious_tg said:
Can't say anything about the trade discount but you can always call the CC and see what they say.

This is what the APC customer care had to say.

Thank you for contacting APC.

With reference to your query, I apologize to say that at present we do not have buy back or upgrading option. I would suggest you to check with dealer from where unit was purchased so that he will be in better position to assist you.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times

Thank you for choosing APC!

bummer!

Back