PC Peripherals Query for Samsung ML 1610 Laser Printer

Switch

Skilled
The toner is almost empty and i want to buy a new one/refill it. But don't know about the charges. How much does a new cartridge costs / How much refilling the cartridge costs...

Please let me know as i know quite a few TE peeps owns this printer thanks to Samsung LCD + Printer offer...

Also i hope refilling laser printer toner is a wise idea...

Refilling wud be the economical solution. shud cost about 500 bucks (wil be lesser than this). But there is another component in the toner (image drum?? teflon sheet?? not sure) that needs to be changed for every 3 refills too.. and that costs about 800 bucks i think.

Still, all this is very much economical than shelling out 2.5~3.5k on original toner.

needless to say, refilling will void ur printer warranty.

Actually i think the warranty is already void... As it was not printing properly i took out the cartridge and found out that there was a little rope like thingy attached with the toner.... Upon closer inspection i found out it was a tail of a mice... Well after that i had to open the toner which i think has already voided the warranty...

Waise the printer is printing fine now only thing is that printouts are coming out shady which is a sign of low ink powder as a lot of it came out when i opened the cartridge...

I've been refilling the toner for the 1610 since ages.

It got refilled about 4 times after which the DRUM had to be changed and then it lasted only 1 refill.

The number of copies keep getting lesser with every refill but buying a toner for 3800 EVERY time it gets empty is just stupid. Go ahead with the refill, just make sure the person refilling it knows what hes doing.

Gr1M said:
I've been refilling the toner for the 1610 since ages.

It got refilled about 4 times after which the DRUM had to be changed and then it lasted only 1 refill.

The number of copies keep getting lesser with every refill but buying a toner for 3800 EVERY time it gets empty is just stupid. Go ahead with the refill, just make sure the person refilling it knows what hes doing.
Have you seen them refill the toner... As i myself opened up the toner and have closed it myself and it seems to work just fine... Thinking about refilling it myself... Any link you can pass me for a DIY...

Also how does one find out about the drum... Weather it needs to be changed or not...

refilling will cost you 350-400 bucks. after 3-4 refills drum needs to be changed. after 2-3 drum change you need to change the printer.( after 3-4 refills the print quality will deteriorate n u would know that drum needs to be changed)

Hi Switch,

Just to clarify, opening up cartridge doesn't voids your printer warranty. As cartridge is a assumed as a consumable and not considered in warranty. however, re-filled some time damages the printer circuit like throwing excess ink, more pressure on printer mechanism. However, best practice is to re-fill the cartridge at the max for 3-4 times, not more then that.

Refilling is alws a very easy job its just opening up of screws on cartridge, opening up of the locks on the cartridge ... use the dry ink (u can get it from your nearest IT Market, ask for samsung printer specific if possible, in the qty of 250 gm or 500 gm for around 70 Rs or 110 Rs) one refill takes approx 250-300 gms according to requirement, close all the locks .... thts it ur cartridge is refilled ..... else if you find it a hefty job ... just call ur local printer wala guy he will help you for the same.
R's
Ashi

Switch said:
The toner is almost empty

i know quite a few TE peeps owns this printer thanks to Samsung LCD + Printer offer...

I was one of the peeps who got this printer at the same time as you, I must have used at max about 50% of the original toner in all these months, I hardly use the printer. :)

I remember the last time I got my HP 6L printers toner refilled the guy in the shop held the refill packet a bit high whilst refilling the cartridge and the toner powder came out like a BLACK cloud, it was like from an old Charlie Chaplin movie - the guy and his clothes and practically the full shop (it was a very small shop) was covered in BLACK powder. (I had run out when I saw what was happening :eek:hyeah: ) Moral of this story - DONT DO IT YOURSELF.:hap5:

One thing I learned from the toner refillers: If the Toner powder falls on you or your clothes wash it off soon with cold water, if you use warm water then it will "set" and become quite difficult to remove.

Eazy said:
I was one of the peeps who got this printer at the same time as you, I must have used at max about 50% of the original toner in all these months, I hardly use the printer. :)

I remember the last time I got my HP 6L printers toner refilled the guy in the shop held the refill packet a bit high whilst refilling the cartridge and the toner powder came out like a BLACK cloud, it was like from an old Charlie Chaplin movie - the guy and his clothes and practically the full shop (it was a very small shop) was covered in BLACK powder. (I had run out when I saw what was happening :eek:hyeah: ) Moral of this story - DONT DO IT YOURSELF.:hap5:

One thing I learned from the toner refillers: If the Toner powder falls on you or your clothes wash it off soon with cold water, if you use warm water then it will "set" and become quite difficult to remove.

LOL! I actually did it myself on a cartridge for a ML-1210. I got this kit from the U.S. which included a soldering iron with a 1 cm or so round attachment which burned a hole in the cartridge. You poured the ink powder through this hole and sealed it with a supplied sticker. Despite all the precautions I took, I ended up with quite a bit on the table cover.

lol... yet another thread bumped up... I have got my cartridge refilled 3 times now eazy with a drum chage(cause of stupid me... I damaged the drum during the transportation)...

The drum costed me 500 bucks and refils cost me 250... Works like a charm everytime...

Switch said:
lol... yet another thread bumped up...

Oooops... did not notice that it is an old thread, blame ijsa for bringing it back to life. :tongue:

Switch said:
I have got my cartridge refilled 3 times now

I am still using the original Toner that came with the printer, and I am sure this original cartridge must not have been fully loaded with toner.

Back