Query: Reliance vs Airtel

Bl^nK

Disciple
Hey Guys,
I have availability of both Reliance as well as Airtel broadband in my area. But the choice between the two comes down to the issue of port blocking.
Can any current users of Reliance/Airtel confirm the port blocking by the ISP, specifically port range from 80-5200.
Thanks in advance :)

Airtel plans are simply unacceptable with their FUP at the moment. And Reliance is nowhere close to as bad as the above blog makes it out to be. I was Reliance user for 4 years until I switched completely to MTNL due to their cheaper plans.

And it was good experience. I always got promised speeds, most of the times more than promised. Never had network blackout except on one or so weekend every month because of their network maintenance for an hour or so.

The only reason I switched was because of their expensive plans for wimax customers. Never has any issue with billing or payment or port blocking or throttling.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

When I was using Reliance BB the speeds & ports were fine. But the CC Support was worse than BSNL. I went up to their Broadband Division Head in Cochin & called him all sorts of bad words before I terminated my connection.

^^ The reliance experience is kinda like MTNL. If it works the first time, it usually keeps working unless something goes wrong horribly. I had only 1 major downtime when the tower from where I used to get signal was relocated. Thats about it.

Others who face problems from the start will suffer. They dont charge you a penny unless you are satisfied with installation. So make sure you are getting proper speeds, proper signal ( in case of wimax ) before signing on the installation sheet. Once its properly done, usually there is nothing wrong. And yeah, stick to unlimited plans. I wont trust any broadband provider for proper data logging and billing.

Just a little out of topic..Im from bangalore btw..

I guess the service you get depends on the place you are staying too, atleast that was the case with BSNL when i was with them. Occasional blackouts (like about 5 days in a month atleast.. there was a time last year where we had a 15 day blackout only in the area i was staying in..! Despite several complaints to the nodal officer, nothing was done to correct the issue.)

However everyone has had their fairshare of problems with any provider as such.. you just have to look out for the best in your area. Ask around and cross your fingers.

I've been user of Reliance Wi-Max for around 2 years and switched to BSNL for exactly the same reason posted by Shripad above. I've had amazing experience with Torrents (I used to keep random ports for uTorrent) and speed was exactly as promised. I've heard same in the case of Reliance Wired Line internet from my friends.

It's not related to your query directly but from experience, I've seen that Reliance chaps have a tendency to resort to gundagardi if there are billing disputes.

Till now I've had no gundagardi issues with Reliance billing and I had a long dispute with them in April (my bill didn't reach them from here :\ ), angry mails, angry calls etc. But I never called the local chaps, I directly contacted customer care. The issue got resolved. Another time when there was a downtime of around 4 days, they deducted that amount from my bill. Currently I'm on Zoom 1 plan which gives me 1 mbps during day and 2 mbps during night with no FUP @ 1499. I'm happy. :)

^ Well...I experienced otherwise...a billing dispute and repeated calls..sometimes pretending to be a cop, sometimes pretending to be calling from Court, (but then, that's my line of work and I enjoyed giving a mouthful of desi :D) sometimes 'reliance recovery officer' and stuff. Maybe just a one-off incident.

I'm currently on Airtel and the plans now are pretty bad. I was however on Reliance broadnet (wired) and their connection was really good. The only reason I discontinued was their login policy and the curl script I used to use stopped working.

I'm planning to go back to Reliance. 300kbps @450 bucks seems quite decent. Any ideas from anyone on getting around the login issue?

No not each time. It however used to automatically logout ever few hours. So you have to login once every few hours.

ashr said:
so you mean unattended downloads run the risk of getting stopped? have i understood it correctly?
the login is once every 24 hours. if you plan to leave a downloaded unattended for a long time, just logout and log back in to reset the timer and then start your download. if the download will last more than 24 hours, then you have a problem.

Back