Question about CAPTCHA

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello folks :)

This might be a stupid question, but I need to ask this as it's been bugging me for quite sometime now.

Now we've all faced CAPTCHA tests before downloading a file from websites like Fileserve. Now my question is, why are the Captcha's sometimes absolutely unreadable? I mean sometimes the writing of the Captcha is clubbed in such a way it is downright beyond deciphering. I understand modern day Captcha's are prone to making the puzzle challenge tougher but making it hardly readable... why that? These days, more and more Captcha's I have encountered are becoming like this... forcing me to reload the Captcha till I get something that is readable.

Please explain. Again, sorry for the stupid question but I just had to ask.

You meant to say this

capturerxb.jpg

:p

Because modern day computer can decode that captcha pretty easily.
So they make it tougher for the computer to decode it.

@Metalspree, can't dechiper the second part of your captcha :(

@OP, tough captcha are implimented to find the real humans from the bots :p

pratikb said:
for simple reason---to reduce bandwidth on free downloads.all those filesharing guys want you to buy their paid memberships.
No actually they do that so bots dont try to download files and use up all the threads and slow their servers down.

But we do have services like captchatrader where your captchas are solved by human but that involves one to earn credits to be able to spend on captcha solving.

By the way few captchas are actually not solvable and probablythey do expect you to go for a new challenge by refreshing the captcha

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

ggt said:
the second word is terrain
OMG!! Wao... it really look like Terrain to me now that I look at it!!

But, seriously I kind of agree with raksrules. I guess some captcha's are not solvable and one must hit the reload button. Lengths we go to, to prove that we are human and not bots lol!

Well, in case of recaptcha, the system knows the correct answer of only one word for sure. So you could have written anything for the 2nd part and it would still allow you to proceed to the next step! :p

But if a computer can't read such a CAPTCHA, how does the system know the correct answer to the puzzle? Here's how: Each new word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is given to a user in conjunction with another word for which the answer is already known. The user is then asked to read both words. If they solve the one for which the answer is known, the system assumes their answer is correct for the new one. The system then gives the new image to a number of other people to determine, with higher confidence, whether the original answer was correct.

What is reCAPTCHA?

Back