CPU/Mobo Question for MSI 4/5xx Series AMD Motherboard Owners

Slayer88

Adept
Hi all,

Quick question for those that meet the title criteria..how long does your PC take to post from the time you press the power button? Can you please mention the time and CPU you're using?

Mine takes 12-14 secs and then the display comes on and it proceeds to booting windows. Total Button press to desktop is 24 secs using a Samsung 970 Evo Plus. My old 3rd gen i7 on an Sata SSD used to be 18 secs or less.

This is a common problem but many say it has been fixed/improved with recent AGESA versions, im on 1.2.0.0.

TIA

Last edited:
Hi all,

Quick question for those that meet the title criteria..how long does your PC take to post from the time you press the power button? Can you please mention the time and CPU you're using?

Mine takes 12-14 secs and then the display comes on and it proceeds to booting windows. Total Button press to desktop is 24 secs using a Samsung 970 Evo Plus. My old 3rd gen i7 on an Sata SSD used to be 18 secs or less.

This is a common problem but many say it has been fixed/improved with recent AGESA versions, im on 1.2.0.0.

TIA
I have a MSI b450m mortar (non-Max) with a Ryzen 3600XT and a Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD. If it matters, I also have 3 sticks of RAM. Takes me less than 20 seconds from pressing the button to getting to windows login page. Haven't exactly measured this but will check the exact time + bios version later and update.

I have a MSI b450m mortar (non-Max) with a Ryzen 3600XT and a Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD. If it matters, I also have 3 sticks of RAM. Takes me less than 20 seconds from pressing the button to getting to windows login page. Haven't exactly measured this but will check the exact time + bios version later and update.
Cheers man, do update when you get the time to check with a stopwatch..

I have a decade old machine (asus mobo) and it takes 24secs exact to get to login screen. SSD + 6 hdds.

Last edited:
My B450 and X470 MSI boards take lot of time in the BIOS, having 3-4 HDDs connected slows it down a lot

My B450 and X470 MSI boards take lot of time in the BIOS, having 3-4 HDDs connected slows it down a lot
Thanks for your replies, both.

@SunnyBoi have you tried by removing the HDD? I have tried with NVME drive only and it still takes time to boot. Seems to be a chronic problem with modern AMD systems.. quite a shame.. we're probably being nitpicky, but with the blazing fast storage available today..why can't we get Apple-like boot times? WTH are manufactures checking for at the time of POST?!

@SunnyBoi have you tried by removing the HDD? I have tried with NVME drive only and it still takes time to boot. Seems to be a chronic problem with modern AMD systems.. quite a shame.. we're probably being nitpicky, but with the blazing fast storage available today..why can't we get Apple-like boot times? WTH are manufactures checking for at the time of POST?!
yes. just the nvme and no other SSD/HDD reduced my boot times by 5-6 seconds. I havent tried it without nvme. Then again I need my HDDs and I'm okay with little sacrifice in boot times.

My sandybridge PC goes thru bios faster than ryzen, however the windows load time is much longer despite SATA SSD on the sandybridge PC, end of the day both have very similar boot times

yes. just the nvme and no other SSD/HDD reduced my boot times by 5-6 seconds. I havent tried it without nvme. Then again I need my HDDs and I'm okay with little sacrifice in boot times.

My sandybridge PC goes thru bios faster than ryzen, however the windows load time is much longer despite SATA SSD on the sandybridge PC, end of the day both have very similar boot times
Thanks for the info. I have a problem with the time it takes to begin loading windows (12-14) secs, I believe the HDD will add to the time after the system completes its POST.

Just measured with a stopwatch, it takes just under 13seconds for the windows spinning dots to show up after a cold boot. The lock screen appears at around 21 seconds, but that's a windows problem. Basically it takes less than 12 seconds to post and start the boot procedure for the OS.
Do note that I have only a single M.2 SATA SSD only.
EDIT: BIOS version is 7B89v1E which has AGESA 1.0.0.6
I have a MSI b450m mortar (non-Max) with a Ryzen 3600XT and a Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD. If it matters, I also have 3 sticks of RAM.
EDIT 2: These are my other specs, as mentioned before.

Last edited:
well bit off but , i have 6 mechanical hdd and one nvme , i am not hell bent on faster boot time , rams are corsair 16gb x2 but it has hynix and micron module but their timings and frq our same .board is crosshair hero 7 . It restarts twice and on 3 attempt it boots . Is this behavior due to AMD`s memory training ?

well bit off but , i have 6 mechanical hdd and one nvme , i am not hell bent on faster boot time , rams are corsair 16gb x2 but it has hynix and micron module but their timings and frq our same .board is crosshair hero 7 . It restarts twice and on 3 attempt it boots . Is this behavior due to AMD`s memory training ?
Nope, I don't think that that's the case, since I have an Asrock A320 with one nvme and 2 HDDs, and one 8gb corsair lpc. It still boots to the windows lock screen in under 25seconds, and the simdows spinning circle appears in under 15 seconds. I think that either your mobo or the boot ssd might be having some problem. Try running sfc /scannow to repair boot sector errors. But if your mobo restarts 3 times before even reaching windows then it's probably mobo (instead of ssd).

Last edited:
12 sec to 15 sec at max for pressing the button to login screen. have both 450 and 570 mother board and was using mx500 and samsung evo plus 970. 1 or 2 sec here and their.

12 sec to 15 sec at max for pressing the button to login screen. have both 450 and 570 mother board and was using mx500 and samsung evo plus 970. 1 or 2 sec here and their.
Thanks for your reply bro. Can you tell which motherboard you've got? Also, is this a stopwatch or a rough guess?

Not a MSI mobo owner but I do have a Gigabyte B350 board. There are multiple fastboot options in the BIOS settings which essentially skips unnecessary extra checks for a system to POST. See if you have something similar in your board as it does reduce POST time for me.

Not a MSI mobo owner but I do have a Gigabyte B350 board. There are multiple fastboot options in the BIOS settings which essentially skips unnecessary extra checks for a system to POST. See if you have something similar in your board as it does reduce POST time for me.
Yea I tried looking for fastboot..but as I've read online..MSI boards dont seem to have it.. atleast the new ones.

Back