Questions from a future Airtel user

real_india

Disciple
Hello to all. I am from Noida. Although this is my first post as a member i have been visiting this site for a long time.

I have a few queries regarding Airtel broadband connection( 256k Rs 999 unlimited Package). Currently i have a connection from a local cable ISP. He is charging me Rs 1000 for 256k unlimited connection. Although the speeds i am getting are just about ok(8-16 KBPS) but he is blocking all the ports except port 25 and 80.Since Airtel has started wiring my apartment building i wanted to shift to the 256k Rs 999 unlimited package.

From what i have read here and at other sites Airtel is giving speed between 20-26 KBPS. I am not sure what the upload speed is because many users have said that it is between 8-10 KBPS and many say it can go upto 16 KBPS.

It would be very helpfull for me if the Airtel users can answer a few of my queries!

1> What is the AVG, MIN and MAX download speeds that i can expect ??

2> What is the AVG upload speed ?

3> What type of wire Airtel uses for the connection between the junction box and the house ? ( I am asking this question becasue depending on the the thickness of the wire used i may have to reconfigure the internal wiring of my house since i live in a multistorey apartment !)

4> Which ethernt modem/router should i go for ? (it must have port forwarding options either via telnet or hhtp)

5> Does Airtel block Ports ? If any which ones?

real_india said:
Hello to all. I am from Noida. Although this is my first post as a member i have been visiting this site for a long time.

I have a few queries regarding Airtel broadband connection( 256k Rs 999 unlimited Package). Currently i have a connection from a local cable ISP. He is charging me Rs 1000 for 256k unlimited connection. Although the speeds i am getting are just about ok(8-16 KBPS) but he is blocking all the ports except port 25 and 80.Since Airtel has started wiring my apartment building i wanted to shift to the 256k Rs 999 unlimited package.

From what i have read here and at other sites Airtel is giving speed between 20-26 KBPS. I am not sure what the upload speed is because many users have said that it is between 8-10 KBPS and many say it can go upto 16 KBPS.

It would be very helpfull for me if the Airtel users can answer a few of my queries!

1> What is the AVG, MIN and MAX download speeds that i can expect ??

2> What is the AVG upload speed ?

3> What type of wire Airtel uses for the connection between the junction box and the house ? ( I am asking this question becasue depending on the the thickness of the wire used i may have to reconfigure the internal wiring of my house since i live in a multistorey apartment !)

4> Which ethernt modem/router should i go for ? (it must have port forwarding options either via telnet or hhtp)

5> Does Airtel block Ports ? If any which ones?

I have the same connection.

MIN D/L Speed = 16 to 20 KBps
AVG D/L Speed = 22 to 25 KBps
MAX D/L Speed = 26 to 32 KBps

Don't Know about U/L Speed.

It uses a thick wire upto the building compound and a thin wire upto your Flat.

Go for a ethernet modem.

I don't think Airtel blocks any Ports.

It's an excellent connection with excellent customer care & service.

Never goes dead.

I'am very Happy with it. :) :hap2: :clap: :rofl: :)

I am also on the same plan. I get avg download speeds with Bit Torrent around 25kBps.

For HTTP downloads, it is around 30kBps. Upload speeds are always around 28-29kBps.

No problems till now. And if there is any problem, they will rectify it damn quickly.

Airtel rocks!!!

i am too having 256kbps plan

i got avg=constant download speed of 25kb/s

upload is some how range from 12kb/s to 16kb/s

Airtel uses the normal telephone line as they are using DSL technology.

in my opinion dont go for ethernet modem/router as modem airtel providing is blocking almost all ports and it some how difficult to configure (i had tried to configure but it is not stable).

Also they have best customer care and my connection also never had gone down.

i also had heard that airtel is now only providing ethernet router only.

Lately i've been getting an avg of 30+ kBps from all HTTP sources.
On p2p, however, it goes arnd a MAX of 26-28 kBps.
Highes upload speed on http (on megaupload and rapidshare) is 10 kBps, and on p2p it goes upto 12-14 for some reason.

For BT, I get upload speeds of around 29-30.... but that is useless.... I wish I was getting that much in download speeds....

I get "only" abt 25-27/28 kBps.

I tell you what... I am from Noida and i have studied all the ISP's here like anything.... The best option out there is AirTel... Get it with your Eyes closed... I am getting it soon as they have just started thier services in my sector...

I have friends using AirTel and have seen them getting speeds upto 30+ KBps constant.. The local Cable waalh guys here are crap...

OT: What sector are you from...

Thanks a lot guys for the advice!! I will post my experience with new airtel connection as soon as i get it(It will take about 1 week as the wiring process of my building has not yet finished).

Switch I am for Sector 21.

Back