CPU/Mobo Questions regarding P8P67 Pro

Tarcxy

Disciple
So, I got my i5 2500K, G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 2X2Gb and P8P67 Pro. Had a few questions.

1. The memory in the Bios is set to 1333MHz by default. But, when I login to windows, CPU-Z shows 668.9MHz. Ok, I go to Bios, change the frequency from Auto to DDR3 1600. Now in CPU-Z, it shows 800MHZ. I checked it in AI Suite too. The same frequencies.
I tried changing the the AI overclock Tuner to XMP. No luck. I havent changed the voltages and timings. Those are set to the right values. But, the frequency doesnt show up correctly in the OS. The Bios however shows the correct values. What is the correct way to setup the frequencies. EFI Bios is a bit confusing. Anyone has any clues?

2. The idle temps with stock settings and stock cooler are at 40 to 42C. Goes up to 70 to 75C on Prime95. I live in Chennai and the ambient temperature is 30 to 33C. With AC on, all these reduce by 4 to 5C. But, isnt these temps a bit high? I have tried reseating the CPU. Even applied TX-4 to the CPU with stock cooler. But there hasnt been much change. Should I be worried?

1. So what is the problem here. It is showing up correctly as 800MHz in both CPU-Z and AI Suite after you manually change it in BIOS, isn't it? If I am not mistaken, you seem to be confusing the DDR clocks and the actual clocks. DDR memory can perform operations on both the raising and falling phases of a clock cycle. So a RAM that is rated DDR 1600MHz has a clock of 800MHz and performing 2 operations per cycle.

2. Intel stock coolers are lousy and they do perform badly, but IMO the temps should be a bit lower than that despite the stock cooler.

Lord Nemesis said:
1. So what is the problem here. It is showing up correctly as 800MHz in both CPU-Z and AI Suite after you manually change it in BIOS, isn't it? If I am not mistaken, you seem to be confusing the DDR clocks and the actual clocks. DDR memory can perform operations on both the raising and falling phases of a clock cycle. So a RAM that is rated DDR 1600MHz has a clock of 800MHz and performing 2 operations per cycle.
1. Oops, sorry. No issues there. I was indeed confusing DDR clocks with DRAM. I am running in dual channel. So, its good. Thanks!

kippu said:
am getting same temperatures on the i5 chief , need a better cooler , whats the stock voltage?
Vcore is at 1.208 when frequency is at 3.4GHz

Tarcxy said:
So, I got my i5 2500K, G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 2X2Gb and P8P67 Pro. Had a few questions.

1. The memory in the Bios is set to 1333MHz by default. But, when I login to windows, CPU-Z shows 668.9MHz. Ok, I go to Bios, change the frequency from Auto to DDR3 1600. Now in CPU-Z, it shows 800MHZ. I checked it in AI Suite too. The same frequencies.

I tried changing the the AI overclock Tuner to XMP. No luck. I havent changed the voltages and timings. Those are set to the right values. But, the frequency doesnt show up correctly in the OS. The Bios however shows the correct values. What is the correct way to setup the frequencies. EFI Bios is a bit confusing. Anyone has any clues?

2. The idle temps with stock settings and stock cooler are at 40 to 42C. Goes up to 70 to 75C on Prime95. I live in Chennai and the ambient temperature is 30 to 33C. With AC on, all these reduce by 4 to 5C. But, isnt these temps a bit high? I have tried reseating the CPU. Even applied TX-4 to the CPU with stock cooler. But there hasnt been much change. Should I be worried?
Lord Nemesis explained quite well the DDR logic, so you are just fine.

Please do not try Prime95 and stress inducing software on stock HSFs. You might run into problems. Stock metal cannot handle those loads. Monitor temperatures on a game -- that is the maximum real-world scenario.

asingh said:
Lord Nemesis explained quite well the DDR logic, so you are just fine.

Please do not try Prime95 and stress inducing software on stock HSFs. You might run into problems. Stock metal cannot handle those loads. Monitor temperatures on a game -- that is the maximum real-world scenario.
Ok. Will try running Crysis 2 and then check.

Your temperatures are fine. Nothing to be worried about. The stock cooler is crap, an aftermarket cooler will make a major difference there.
Please don't use the AISuite shit that Asus bundles with their boards. Try taking a look at your task manager (with 'all processes', enabled), to see why.

@asingh, I've been testing my OCs on the stock cooler. Have hit 4.6G till now. Temps max out at 80C under IBT. No issues what so ever.

stalker said:
Your temperatures are fine. Nothing to be worried about. The stock cooler is crap, an aftermarket cooler will make a major difference there.

Please don't use the AISuite shit that Asus bundles with their boards. Try taking a look at your task manager (with 'all processes', enabled), to see why.

@asingh, I've been testing my OCs on the stock cooler. Have hit 4.6G till now. Temps max out at 80C under IBT. No issues what so ever.

That is quite impressive for stock cooling. Then can we tell the OP to remain with his stock HSF, you seem to be doing fine...? You both have a similar setup. What is the idle.
kippu said:
what coolers is popular now?
CM Hyper, Noctua series, Thermaltake offerings are good.

yes even i am from chennai and recently bought the same config. Even i am getting the temps in 40 to 45 range. I am waiting for Noctua Nh-D14.

whats your budget for cooler??

The best cooler for i5 2500 is Hyper 212 Plus which works absolutely fine for me & the safe temps are 65-70. Changing the RAM frequencies doesn't affects much trust me!!! AI Suite always shows wrong values, just ignore it.

I am using hyper 212 plus on my SB rig(see sig) getting idle temps of 32 to 36 and load temps 55 to 60 while playing fifa on highest settings and wow in background.. have to run benchmarks yet to see what actual load temps are.. CPU @ turbo goes to 4216ghz on auto bios settings...

i have a i7 2600k which idles at 37-40 C and at load goes up to 73-77C at stock speeds and stock voltage. But I am using a high end 5 heat pipe air cooler with two 2200 rpm CM fans in push-pull configuration. I realised these temps were just too high so I gave back my chip to the retailer for replacement. Usually 2500k/2600k at stock speeds with a decent HSF in indian conditions should idle at 32-35 C and at load should go up to 55-58 C. with OC you should be safe till 72-73 C under load.

To make a long story short IMO like me you have got a poor chip.

Also in the bios instead of specifying the speed of the RAM , use auto instead and enable XMP. that should make sure RAM is running at the rated speed. Adjusting RAM speed and timings are only meant for serious overclockers and one should not do it until and unless absolutely sure

asingh said:
I guess we should wait for the OP to tell us gaming temperatures.
Got a chance to run Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2. Max temperatures were around 65-70C. With prime95 it was from 70-75C.
stalker said:
Yeah, heard a lot of bad things about the AISuite. I installed it thinking that CPU-Z showed the wrong values. Wont be using it anymore. But, I dont understand the second part. Looking at task manager shows different services for different tools. Is that what you were refering to?

Back