PC Peripherals Quick Help with spec-ing a non-gaming system

JediMaster

Disciple
Folks ! Need some quick help with the following:

Trying to put together some specs for a rig to be assembled in Mumbai. Rig to be used mainly for home use, light office-type use, light programming, light gaming, mostly browsing and watching movies :p . But the rig has to be rock solid for atleast a couple of years. Not used to getting components here locally especially for such a use; so feel free to comment/correct the following specs (prices are generously quite approx, if you are aware of better prices in Mumbai please lemme know):

Budget is roughly 65K (coz of the LCD monitor) but can be easily extended.

Winnie / Venice 3000+ whichever is cheaper - ~9K
Asus A8N-E / FoxConn Winfast - ~9K / ~6K
6600 PCIE ( which model / make ) - ~5K
2 x 512 Transcend - ~7K (??)
DVD-R - Lite-On 165/166 - ~2K
CD-RW - Lite-On 52327S/38S - ~1.5K
Powersafe - 400W - 1.5K
Viewsonic/whatever 17" LCD monitor - model name / price - ?? - ~18K
(15" can be tolerated if better resolution, response time is fairly inconsequential but needs to be reasonably good - 12ms max I guess). Is there a good place in Mumbai for LCD monitors ?
Seagate 80GB SATA - ~3K

speakers, mouse etc left to the assembler. Can't get any second-hand components since the entire rig is gonna be under AMC with the assembler.

Muchos Gracias in advance for any help !

What abt. the UPS ? And the A8N-E costs 8K and not 9K. Not sure abt. the Foxconn, but if it's good enough for the uses that u've stated, then u can go for it. As for the G. Card, get the BIG 6600 coz' its supposed to an OEM BFG. If not, u can go for Leadtek. What r the timings for the Transcend RAM ? I saw a Transcend 512 here at Ritchie Street with timings on the 3-3-3 packaging with Infineon chips and it costs only Rs.2400. Check for the price of the RAM. Also, when I purchased my rig 2 months ago, I got 2*256 for Rs. 4800. So really confused abt. the price of RAM. But am sure abt. the 512 for Rs. 2400 coz' I enquired abt. that only 10 days back.

If you gonna do only light gaming, you can also consider building a Pentium D system, it would be much more future proof.

You're being extremely generous on those prices ;)

- Check www.deltapage.com for a pretty good indication of current street prices in Chennai. Bombay prices should definately match it and possibly be even cheaper.

- Most of the local dealers dont seem to sell Socket939 processors based on whether it has a Winnie or Venice core - they have absolutely no clue on the cores, and charge the same rate whether its a Winnie/Venice. What core you get is your luck!

- TwinMos should be available in Mumbai as well, you could consider it as an alternative to the Transcends as they come with 3 yr warranties as well and have much better timings than the 3-3-3 timings Freaky mentioned.

- Since there's a budget of around 3.5K for the Optical Drives, might as well ditch the separate drives and go for a single DVD-writer. Refer the Optical Drives sticky thread for more. Since the Benq DW 1640's seem to be in short supply, your next best bet would be the LG GSA-4163B

@Freaky
^^Hehe ! realized that the prices are a li'l awry with respect to the Transcend RAM. The UPS will be either APC mostly or even Wipro !
@Eddy
Will check out the TwinMos. Wasn't aware that they were readily available and with 3 year warranties.

And DVD-RW it is then - Ah ! Thanks. Wish I had chosen to do that myself a few weeks back.

The Winnie 3000+, I guess that's what it is, appears to be listed for 7.5K at Delta. That's about 1K cheaper than Venice 3000+ ! Might still choose the Venice though !

Last edited by a moderator:
For 65K u can get a very good Rig.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice - S939 Rs 8.5K-8.8K

ASUS A8N-E [NF4 Ultra Chipset] Rs 8.8K
ASUS A8N Sli [NF4 SLi Chipset ] Rs 12.5K [if u have money]

ASUS Star Ice cooler or Cooler Master Vortex Rs 2-2.3K

Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste used to apply on CPU Rs 650
Prime ABGB Mumbai

Hynix D43 2x512MB DDR400 PC3200 Rs 2 x 2.8

BIG/Gainward/Gigabyte/LeadTek 6600GT PCI-E x16 Rs10K-11K

Samsung 793MB 17' Monitor Rs7.5-7.8K

Multimedia Kbd + Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse = Rs1.3K Max

Antec 3700BQE Cabinet without PSU Rs3120 incuding 4% taxes
PrimeABGB Mumbai

Segate 80GB HDD SATA Rs 3K-3.3K

Benq DW1640 Rs3.5K-3.6K

Antec Smart Power 450W PSU Rs4056
Or you can immediately place a order for FSP AX500-A for Rs3800+100
Check here:- http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54855&postcount=273

But decide by today night on the FSP AX500-A Bluestorm its much better than ne other PSU what u can get here at that cost.

So this is all i recommend.

Total = comes to 63370 including A8NSLi

The ASUS A8n Sli fits in ur 65K it has gr8 accessories + 4more SATA connectors + 1 more LAN + Firewire support over ASUS A8N-E

Did not add the rate of UPS

^^Those are Mumbai prices I guess. Great, and that will help, Thanks !

The big catch is that I need to fit in the 17" LCD monitor in that ~65K or so budget. That aside, this is not a gaming/oc-ing system - so I'm going easy on the gfx card, psu, hsf etc. If they needed a real oc-ing system I'll prolly convince them to buy mine for a $2500 premium with the 0517EPAW :p !

I looked up TechTree and came up with Viewsonic VA712 and Samsung 710N for rougly ~17K. Trying to get details on some more models and prices.

Ok if that aint a gamming rig then there are options to cut cost.
ASUS A8N-E for future OCIng
or
MSI RS480 with XPress200 GPU for some descent gamming.
Disadvantage , No Overclocking.
Cost approx 6Kto6.5K , Cant say 100% but still rough estimate

Also a 6600Plain is more than enuf for descent gamming.

No need for the Star ice or vortex use the stock HSF only if u are not gonna OC that.

Also a PowerSafe 400W 24Pin will be more than enuf.

and u can get a descent cabby for like 1.5to1.8K

So that solves ur problem and cost reduces to accomodate ur 17' LCD.

^^Good ! Then it's just about what I had as the original specs except that I had Foxconn as the option. Think I'll go with the A8N-E Ultra.

And Quad ! The A8N-E Ultra has provision for a 20 or a 24 pin connector ? And would you know if the Powersafe psu has a single 24 pin connector or 20+4 pin connector. Think Eddy has that 24 pin Powersafe PSU. Thanks !

Its not A8N-E Ultra its just ASUS A8N-E [based on NF4 Ultra Chipset]

A8N-E is 24Pin [Guys correct me if i am wrong]

There is a Powersafe 400W 24Pin but donno if its 20+4

Ask Darky too he also has it.

Yup its just A8N-E with a NF4 Ultra chipset. Havent heard about A9N-E yet :p

Great rig Jedimaster, more than enough for casual gaming. And yes get the 3000+ Venice if possible.

JediMaster said:
The Winnie 3000+, I guess that's what it is, appears to be listed for 7.5K at Delta. That's about 1K cheaper than Venice 3000+ ! Might still choose the Venice though
Delta has the Venice ;) - thats what Freaky found out. So as with most other dealers, they dont know what they have and will sell it at the existing rate - thats what I was trying to point out in my previous post. Its only the knowledgeable dealers , like the ones in the States that take advantage by selling the better cores at a premium! Cant say how the situation is in Mumbai.

The A8N-E Ultra has provision for a 20 or a 24 pin connector ? And would you know if the Powersafe psu has a single 24 pin connector or 20+4 pin connector. Think Eddy has that 24 pin Powersafe PSU. Thanks !
AFAIK the A8N-E has a 24 pin connector, though unlike the DFI its optional - Masky uses his 20pin TP480 on it. Most PCI-Ex boards seem to have the 24 pin connector, as the basic need for the 24 pin connector is to feed the PCI-Ex bus . Darky has the same PSU as mine if i'm not mistaken , and its a full 24pin not a 20+4 pin type.

correct me if i am wrong but asus a8n-e is bades on nforce 4 ultra chipset compared to some msi nforce 4 variants.
also it probably may sata II as well

OK ! I stand corrected on this. The board is simply called A8N-E (without the Ultra qualifier) and it is, of course, based on the nf4 ultra chipset. Thanks for the clarification guys !

D43 is good - would like to try them out myself. Has added that as an option. Thanks UT. If I could get warranty for atleast 2 years, might be good. Eddy is the local wily hardware coyote !

I wasn't aware that Delta has the Venice now. Eddy ! I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I could get a Venice - and for 7.5 K :p if I push my luck ! And if I do luck out, I'll split the booty with you :p ! And I'll go with the Powersafe 24-pin PSU - like the one you and Darky have. My 20-pin Powersafe is still doing quite alright.

@Jedi, No use in calling them to get the Venice. What I did abt. 10 days ago was go to Delta to get the quote for the system to be built by delhiboy's cousin. Outta curiosity, I asked the owner if they had Venice chips and he had no idea what I was talking abt. So what I did was ask them to show me a 3000+ 939 proccy if they had one. They had one and it turned to be a Venice with 0519DPNW stepping.

Well, atleast they are savvy enough to begin stocking the Venice, or, probably had it shoved on them by the disty. And you can imagine the IQ level of the rest of the dealers if that's the case with Delta. I'm more interested in the price rather than the oc-ability though. So, might still be worth a call. Week 21 seem to be better, but still early to say I guess.

@ JediMaster - u might be knowing how to identify a Venice.
Just go to the shop and verify the number it shud be like ADA3000DAA4BP for 3000+ Venice.
And dont tell him its Venice if he is selling it as winne.
Most of the ppl are not aware the difference.
Try if u get lucky u might get the Venice at a cheaper rate.

Back