OC & Modding RAM Over clocking Failed.

Prosenjit

Disciple
I have following config.
INTEL Core i5 2500K, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, Gskill SNIPER F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2, CM 690 II Advance, Corsair VX 550.

I am using gigabyte software Easy tune 6 for overclock. When I use RAM clock speed 1600 to 1866 or higher, its showing boot fail at the time of restart. there were no problem to overclock the CPU with this software. Now my CPU is running on 4.30 GHz.

Please help me regarding this & tell me the proper way to overclock.

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK, snipers are not good for overclocking. However if you want to overclock, think you will need to increase voltage to 1.5 and then do it. should work then.

The Sniper rams are not good for overclocking. If you would have read the reviews, most of them weren't able to get it running at 1866 even after increasing the volts to 1.65.

There aren't much gains beyond 1600Mhz so you aren't losing out on anything. You can try tightening the RAM timings a little.

If you really want to overclock rams, then I'm afraid you're going to have to buy another RAM kit like the G.Skill Ripjaws.

Also AFAIK, the only advantage of the Snipers, as of now is that they consume around a watt or two less than the normal ones. but they are not good for overclocking. Also Ivy Bridge is said to require 1.25V ram only, not sure on this though.

My opinion is:

there is no use in buying any ram kit´s above 1600mhz 9-9-9-21 configuration, for me this setup is the sweet spot, unless you want that every little bit for highest score.

In Game, if lucky 1-2 frames difference.

My opinion though. :)

OH, by the way, I would not use OC software, as they always tend to up the Voltages to high for my liking.

You may use it and write down what the changes where but drop the voltages.

Ram manually set the frequency to 1866 and start with 1,575v, should boot.

And then bring the voltage down till it does not boot, set the voltage 1 to 3 notches higher.

Dont go over 1,575 for 24/7, regardless what some say. 1,65vis ok for quick bench but for 24/7 it will eventually blow your mem controller.

Greets Graffy

@mrcool63....SB supports 1.65 in fact a lot of xms 3 modules are 1.65v. like sumon said one can bump up the volts to 1.7 but generally staying at or below 1.65 is recommended. for eg with my i7 2600k, i run my xms3 1600 modules rated at 1.65v cl9 @ 1866 1.6v CL9. Also i run my rig 24/7 for @folding. havent seen a problem till date.

Can't talk for the Intel platform but EasyTune 6 for AMD systems isn't great at all. BIOS tuning is still the best.

umm guys read the post above mine. i was stating that for 24/7 operation intel recommends max 1.5v for vram.. true for benching, any voltage above that not a problem but it is not recommended for 24/7 use on a sandy specifically...
AMD can run 1.65v easily...
dont get confused:)

I must admit I was wrong with the Voltages, found a discussion on this:

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 pm

From intel datasheets:

[attachment=9823:16604.attach]

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18190523&postcount=103"

Right guys myself and our technical guys have spent the entire weekend and this morning in discussions with Intel regarding the alarming amount of reports of Sandybridge CPU's dying and have been conducting our own testing as have Intel to find out what is a definite no no.

Sandybridge maximum safe voltages

Core Voltage - Not recommended too exceed 1.38v, doing so could kill the CPU, we therefor recommend a range of 1.325-1.350v if overclocking.

Memory Voltage - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means upto 1.58v is the safe recommended limit. In our testing we have found 1.65v has caused no issues.

BCLK Base Clock - This is strictly a NO, anyone using base clock overclocking could/will cause damange to CPU/Mainboard. (Set manually to 100)

PLL Voltage - Do not exceed 1.9v!!

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock!

PLL Voltage - Again do not exceed 1.9v!

These are just guidelines we recommend you follow, if you want to push more voltage through your CPU's then just be aware they could die on you. Your warranty is un-affected and we will honour any CPU's that die, we just won't ask questions as to how you killed them.

Not all CPU's are as fragile as others, we have experimented upto 1.50v Vcore and 1.70v memory and had zero issues with reliability, so it seems some of fine when pushing hard"

Attachments

• intel sandy bridge.jpg
    intel sandy bridge.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 102
  • intel sandy bridge.jpg
    intel sandy bridge.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 101
  • intel sandy bridge.jpg
    intel sandy bridge.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 104
  • sandy bridge.GIF
    sandy bridge.GIF
    35.2 KB · Views: 106
devvfata1ity said:
@mrcool63....SB supports 1.65 in fact a lot of xms 3 modules are 1.65v. like sumon said one can bump up the volts to 1.7 but generally staying at or below 1.65 is recommended. for eg with my i7 2600k, i run my xms3 1600 modules rated at 1.65v cl9 @ 1866 1.6v CL9. Also i run my rig 24/7 for @folding. havent seen a problem till date.

can you give the detailed timing I am looking to try it but i apparently fails when i keep 9-9-9-24-41-CR2 @ 1.66v

@ Sumon ,I guess your write, but I will not overclock the 620 any more if it could damage my Motherboard as they say. And you also said be careful.

The maximus is too nice to fry. :)

So you think 1,65v will be fine for board, dont rely care about the 620.

dude xms3 cannot be compared to gskill snipers.. i got 1800mhz at 8-9-8-24 on the xms3@1T at 1.65v.. they are real good.. unfortunately the max i can get ripjaws x is the same at cl10(8GBXL).. so sniper is best kept at 1600.. at default 9-9-9-28-37/41 at 1.25-1.35v.. dont oc it further..

The main problem is that it is a 4gb DIMM.. so they are actually quite hard to oc compared to the 2gb DIMM..

also change these settings in the BIOS.. it is more stable there..

One more problem friends in my desktop.....
I don't know weather it's a problem or not.

When I wanna overclock my CPU, it's work perfectly, no problem for gaming, editing.......
but when I turn on or Restart my PC only at the time of boot it's take to much time & say " boot fail due to voltage problem or overclock press any key to continue.".
After that it's run on overclock & works perfectly well.

Please help me regarding this, all of the product are brand new & less than one month of purchase time.
I don't know weather my PSU or MOB or CPU or RAM having problem.
I am confused.

Back