Audio Random DAC/Amp Thread!!

Jep! Via the USB. Not sure of the current market pricing but I guess my friend got it for 3~4k'ish INR from Lynx sometime last year. Again, not very sure of the pricing part. It's a ballpark figure.

How much are you willing to shell out?

5k is fair enough as long as I can drive AD900 at good volumes.

@santosh, I would prefer something portable as I might use it on my month long biking trips, lol. But what is the price of XM6 anyway? Also why did you say FiiO E7 + E9 should I get two products?

If your budget is 5K, forget all the products I've mentioned. XM6 is $395 (+ shipping + upgrades), D12 and Leckerton UHA-4 are $150+, I think. The only reason for suggesting XM6 is it's feature list.

E7 is primarily a DAC with an amp function mostly meant for IEMs. If AD900 is anything like AD700, it won't need huge power to be driven. E9 is a dedicated and powerful headphone amp which can dock E7. If you want portable, only E7 qualifies.

If you want something portable, consider FiiO E11 (about 3K from Lynx, IIRC, but out of stock now). It's said to be more powerful than E7. You won't need that power now, but if you upgrade the headphone and still want a portable amp, you need not spend on it then. iBasso D-ZERO is a new DAC/Amp at $110 or so, which can also be considered.

If purely for Laptop + you can step up to 8K or so (not sure about the current pricing), consider Audinst MX1 from PristineNote.

@santhosh, So if I am planning to use the AMP function mainly with an IEM(currently own M2 looking to upgrade to DDM or some other bass heavy one) and the DAC function with my AD900, then you would suggest E7 or E11. Right?

For now, E7 should fulfill all your requirements. DAC + Amp with Laptop + Headphone amp with Fuze. Actually with Fuze, you won't need an amp for M2 or even DDM, only for AD900. You should be fine with E7 and AD900 if this post is anything to go by.

Only if you would buy hard to drive IEMs or headphones in the future, E11 would come in handy. Otherwise, E7 should do fine for now.

Ah great news then. Bcs I dont want to upgrade my setup too much right now. Will be relocating to the states or Canada within couple of years. I can spend on a full fledged system then :D

How much does E7 cost anyways? and the best place to get it??

PS: Thnx a bunch santosh and Gannu :)

Right now? MP4Nation, I guess. As linked above, Lynx does not have it in stock.

Considering that E7 and E10 are selling at the same price (of $80.28 post 5% discount till Christmas), you can read up and choose between the portable E7 and transportable, but better SQ E10.

Review of E10 (with comparisons to E7, uDAC and amp sections of D-ZERO) - [Impression] FiiO E10

E7 MP4N Buy link: FiiO E7 USB Dac and AMP w/ FiiO L2 3.5mm Audio Cable [Fiio-E7+L2] - $80.28 : MP4 Nation!, :: Low Priced MP4, MP3 Players and the latest scoop on the newest MP4 Player

E10 MP4N Buy link: FiiO E10 USB DAC AMP 96K/24bit [Fiio-E10] - $80.28 : MP4 Nation!, :: Low Priced MP4, MP3 Players and the latest scoop on the newest MP4 Player

E7 is really value for money product . it is very portable and can be used with portable mp3 player/ipod and desktop as well.

From what I understand, I should wait for the E17 since E10 doesnt have an inbuilt battery and E7 is going to be upgraded, if not anything, it will atleast drop the E7's price.

Yes! But I am not sure about the release date of E17.

Another interesting release by Lord Voldemort / NwAvGuy - NwAvGuy: Objective Desktop Amp (ODA) & DAC

Is there anybody here who uses a end-to-end balanced setup? (Benny?) He mentions

No Balanced Outputs – Balanced audio is great for pro use with long cables and electrically hostile environments. But it’s generally more of a liability than an asset in home audio gear. All else being equal, balanced stages usually have higher overall noise and distortion than their unbalanced counterparts. Headphone drivers don’t magically somehow work better when driven by a balanced source. Most of the stuff you hear and read about balanced audio for home headphone gear is myth, hype and even snake oil.

Any comments?

Haven't used a balanced setup yet. I'll believe my ears when I hear one. I don't think the RSA protector qualifies as a proper full balanced as it used a 4pin mini connector rather than a proper 3 pin dual xlr connector. Also non of my headphones are balanced terminated hence I din't feel the point of keeping it around.

I wouldn't know about the Fiio e11 or the e9 since I haven't auditioned it myself. From what I can tell, the Srh940 seems like easy to drive headphones.
Between the two, I feel the E9/E9i should be better than the E11 since it takes direct power rather than from a battery in the case of a E11.

Consider E9 or Matrix M Stage?

Guess this is the right thread to post source impressions as well.

I got a loaner HM-601 (you know who you are ;) - excellent condition, BTW). I half expected to be blown over by this audiophile player. First things first. It is a brick. I think QA350 and this weigh about the same, but due to the smaller form factor, HM-601 feels heavier in the hand as well as the pocket. You can't put the damn brick350 in the pocket for sure, but the weight is a little more 'distributed' with QA350.

They both use SD cards and my Transcend Class 4 works with both just fine. Both work with hot swapping, I guess (I'm sure about QA, not about 601) I am not sure if it's just due to my pocket, but HM-601 heats up easily. Both are powerful and have a thud when switching on and off. So, like with QA350, I switch on HM-601, insert the IEM and remove it before turning it off. In addition, HM-601 emits a slight 'blip' when you start playing a different track from library after pausing the current one. QA350 tends to get a little moody sometimes playing a buzzing noise, which goes off when you re-rip the song. Yet to check if the same phenomenon occurs with HM-601, but I highly doubt it.

QA350 has a slight channel imbalance at the beginning (so is UHA-6S), but 601 is slightly better. Both die at most inappropriate times. HM-601 just emitted a weird noise before going out, but QA350 plays to the end without any issues. Of course, both of them are spartan in their UI. Fix that - 350 does not even have a UI, 601 has one. I don't find navigation that difficult. Of course, it does not come with the pizzaz of iTouch or Rockbox, but that's another story.

I chose to test them with Yuin OK1, my only higher impedance IEM / ear bud. I'd say HM-601 is warm, but did not meet the rest of my expectations. I expected it to be "tube-like", but it hardly is. QA350 has far better texture that brings instruments alive. It also has a better treble extension, but I suspect it is either the only device I have which is flat in treble or it is bright, possibly the latter. HM-601 is laid back, warm and fuzzy for my tastes - fatigue free - may be. But, I like my music a bit more energetic, which is clearly not HM-601's forte. I don't see great sound stage advantage over QA350 (which does not have much depth in the sound stage - one of it's weaknesses via Headphone Out). QA350 just sounds much more cleaner, clearer (helped in part by that treble), a bit more dynamic and engaging to my ears.

I need to try 601 with different phones before coming to conclusion, but I feel there's a drop in the bass spectrum lower down, while QA350 could be flat, but not huge with quantity (with OK1) either. A very, very slight mid-bass bump is there with OK1 in 601 compared to QA350, hence it might feel like extracting a little more bass out of OK1. Treble presentation is somewhat between RE1 and RE262 - rolled off, not sparkling, slightly recessed next to mids, but it does not feel totally lacking. A tube sound, if I remember the Bravo V2 right, is all about engagement. Despite the colored, distorted output, a tube amp adds warmth, body making it more 'musical'. I really don't feel the same way about HM-601 with OK1. I was expecting 601 to color OK1 in the direction of SM3 or RE262, but rather it sounds more like a forward MG7.

One combo I can try for sure is CK10. Not sure I'll get time today, but will do it sometime in the next few days before sending back.

At this stage (not a fair chance to 601, may be), my source preferences stand as follows -

1. QA350 Mod V2 -> Optical -> UHA-6S
  2. QA350 Mod V2
  3. iPod Video 5G -> Line Out -> UHA-6S (Most used as iPod has most of my library)
  4. iPod Video 5G -> Line Out -> Arrow 3G
  5. Clip+?
  6. HM-601? iPod Video 5G?

These are the only ones I've used recently. Ranking others from memory would be futile.

As an all rounder, Clip+ (Ease of use, portability, Rockbox, EQ) still rules, just not as much as before. I carry the bulkier iPod -> UHA combo now when I go out and absolutely can't do without music.

i have a clip+ and using a pl11 with it. From the start and even rock boxing it there has been no significant change in SQ(Heavy bass). But today i plugged the iem into my friends new yendo(w150) and they sounded quite strange to me good balance in treble and bass. How can i get the same in my clip+?

^ Rockbox does not change SQ, at least IME. What you hear out of an IEM is a combination of Source + IEM, so I'd assume that Yendo screws up the signature. Being a Sony, I'd assume a distinct SQ flavor. If you want the same balance via Clip+, try EQ using Rockbox and also see if adding an impedance adapter changes anything. I doubt it will be the same even then.

While TE was offline, I got a new toy. New would be a misnomer considering it's a used one though. I bought the lonely DacMini CX on sale in Head-fi after a long wait - first about 54 days for reply to my first PM, 25 days for the damn thing to show up in India (Left Netherlands on 9th Dec, showed up only on 4th Jan in India). It's the one with the 1 ohm Output impedance mod and would cost $795 + $99 + shipping new. So, I should be really happy to move from the $180 HRT MSII and Essence STX to one of the better DACs within $1000, right? But that's not how I feel right now...

The packing was minimal, condition was not pristine, there are tiny nicks in the top corners which are just a little distracting from the top angle. Out of my laptop (Windows 7, foobar, WASAPI, USB, Windows upsampling to 96Khz) driving Brainwavz HM5, it seemed a bit brighter with not so great dynamic range. Going from MS2 to DacMini, I felt that I heard more details, but the sound stage was not that great. Coming back to HRT MSII, it feels a bit too laid back and thick sounding. I fed DacMini to Burson and felt it did better - the bass punch was really nice, especially the extension. I ran DacMini for 40 hours during the weekend without either it or Burson getting too hot to touch - that way it's good. I also liked the synergy of the DacMini -> Burson HA160 -> HM5 combo better because DacMini seemed to be filling up the vacant spots in the HM5 presentation.

Last night, I connected DacMini to my PC (Windows XP, CEntrance ASIO Driver - resampled at 48Khz) and tried MS1i. The upper mid range energy was a bit too much, but I thought the bass was much better than I remember with the other sources. With HD600, it was somewhat similar though I felt it a little less when combined with HD600's laidback nature.

I later switched to Optical from the motherboard and set the sampling rate at 44.1 and set Latency a little lower in the ASIO driver. This time, that upper mid range energy was gone and it felt alright, but bass punch was missing a bit. Even though DacMini does separation and layering decently, the placement did not feel as precise. The sound stage of HD600 felt a lot better with STX/MS2 -> Burson combo.

Since the variables are not as simple with my QA350-> UHA6S (just attach a Mini to Toslink cable), I have to experiment a bit before settling with DacMini (OS, Drivers, Input etc.,). While the early impressions can always change, right now, I do not feel like I am hearing a $800 Dac-Amp to be frank. It simply may be the law of diminishing returns at play here. I think I might find it a step up from HRT MSII due to better detailing, but I am not so sure about it beating UHA-6S (which is a $280 DAC-Amp, FWIW) as of now. Thing with DACs is that they need time to sink in because the differences are not huge between them (unless there's a purposeful coloration). So, I am going to take time before doing a A:B.

Back