Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

bennysachdev said:
So I sold off the Audiotechnica M50 and the CK10 and got me an RSA Protector and a B&W P5 headphone.

Do RSA have a distributor in Singapore or did you get it shipped from the States?

iaudio said:
esanthosh, even kiteki on head-fi seems to be smitten by the fx 51. FOTM?

For an IEM to qualify as FOTM, we need a little more than two people making noises ;). I would have bought for sure as it's not costly, but I have a general idea of how it would sound. I'd make an educated guess that it probably would be good enough for me to try, but not to keep. There is not a compelling reason to buy after struggling to cut down number of IEMs by a little more than half.

I'd say that JVC FXT90 deserves a little more shout than most, even over the well established FOTS GR07. It's not the greatest ever either technically or musically, but a very well rounded IEM that deserves a little more attention than it gets now. I am waiting for Inks' loaner to end up at Joker's doorstep.

I am interested in checking out a few other IEMs though - Monster Miles Davis Trumpet, ACS T15 Universal, Phonak PFE232, FI-BA-SS, AKG K3003 - the last three are beyond my reach and listed in order of increasingly insane pricing. For the other two, the ridiculous Rupee depreciation is playing spoilsport. If it was still at 44-45 to the $, I would not have hesitated. At nearly 51-52 (after CC charges), I would hesitate and think twice before getting anything priced in USD for a while.

esanthosh said:

what do you take me for :mad: ( BTW saw it earlier today, price is good , but i dont have money)

i got the istreamer, its great , instrument separation is just great, but the HM602 have much deeper soundstage. istreamer are a more balanced. soundstage wise they are wide, but not that deep ( instrumentation makes up for this though ).

between istreamer and hm602, the istreamer are more cleaner and transparent but the Hm602 have much more natural presentation and beautiful mids.

these charge the ipod while they are connected so , a good portable power source is required for them to be practical portable device. my duracell portable USB charger holds up for about 4 hrs with them (with them and ipod video 6g) .

am not sure if i will keep them, as i did not get them for desktop use.

mukulymn said:
how much is the total cost inc shipping??

Thinking shud i get one??

$99.95 + $13.95 shipping = $113.90

strategy said:
i got the istreamer, its great , instrument separation is just great, but the HM602 have much deeper soundstage. istreamer are a more balanced. soundstage wise they are wide, but not that deep ( instrumentation makes up for this though ).

between istreamer and hm602, the istreamer are more cleaner and transparent but the Hm602 have much more natural presentation and beautiful mids.

these charge the ipod while they are connected so , a good portable power source is required for them to be practical portable device. my duracell portable USB charger holds up for about 4 hrs with them (with them and ipod video 6g) .

am not sure if i will keep them, as i did not get them for desktop use.

I am arranging for a battery charger as well. I am not sure how things will pan out, but if they do as planned, my rig will be brick-ier than yours :eek:hyeah:

If you plan to sell iStreamer, let me know. Anyways, HM-602 has a NOS sound and "beautiful, thick" mids is not surprising. BTW, Rockbox may be available for HM-601 (I am guessing by extension for HM-602 as well?) sometime later.

brick-ier than mine ???

Ipod 6G classic ( fat) > istreamer ( powered with a portable charger )> pico slim / stepdance / protector / RX mk3
that makes 1 + 1 + 3 + 2 cm tall setup. (literally a brick ) , 4Hr duracell is going out, got my self a beefier charger , 16000mAh i.sound

power-brick is mandatory as istreamer is a desktop DAC , has no battery.

i got charged 3.5K as customs for the istreamer , so IF i sell i will be including that as well :(, it will be too costly.

QA350 is more brick than iPod Classic will ever be. I have a iPod Video 5G (fat), so I guess iPod Classic 6G is about the same size - no competition there. I think UHA-6S is about the same (longer, but slightly less wide) size compared to SD.

Have you got a 2SD or are you planning to?

i.Sound unfortunately won't go with QA350. I am looking for something else....

Did you buy a new iStreamer?

no a second hand , damn guys charged me 3.5K on a second hand thing :O

as to my knowledge no portable charger will go with qa350, the i.sound has 5 USB ports you might be able to build a custom cable using 2 ports for 10 V supply ( wont you ? )

yeah am planning on the amp, pico slim, as per some, is just awesome for IEMs with low power requirements, even better than desktop dacs. am still confused about the amp.

2SD still does have a 6-15 V supply option , USB wont work, if i get them i myself will make a 10V USB cable. :p , MK3 and protector both are balanced, that that much in to balanced , but am surely interested.

Wow! Wonder how much was the declared value for iStreamer? Now, I should be worried about ZO v2 as well.

SD, 2SD (and probably QA350) would go with Energizer XP8000 or XP18000. They supply tips / adapter for almost everything.

I am a little interested in Pico Slim and 2SD as well. But then, I will have too many amps and too few sources :p. Even without them, a second round of clean-up awaits!

Bro's, Anyway to get Fiio E5 these days? I checked lynx/mediahome/ ebay india quoting 2.6k-?

Media home site not opening

Lynx didnt get a proper reply

Ebay in, looks expensive

mp4nation - there was only E6.

Located in hyd now.

it was declared at $150. the sad thing is, we cant question them , the person at the post office said " take them or return them , dont ask questions". when i wanted to check them by opening them, as it were insured , i wanted to make sure that they did not get damaged in the way. he denied that. I asked him why the hell did i pay for insurance if you dont let me check, if its safe. again " take them or return, dont ask questions. if you open them i wont return the custom fee, even if its broken "

its sad. i am never going to pay extra for insurance in future ( atleast with USPS/ EMS )

they charge me just 2.5 for my anedio D1, new. and they charge me 3.5 on a istreamer ... i dont know what to say.

As i am short on cash ATM, am still reading about the pico and 2SD ( and others )

That makes a little sense at ~ 47% of $150 value. But these things happen with customs duty all the time.

I see a few Pico Slims on sale all the time in Head-fi. But, SD / 2SD are so rare to find.

Unless you are going completely balanced either with Desktop rig or portable one (HM-801 with Balanced module -> Balanced cable Miracle / RE-2x2), I am not sure how a mix of SE and balanced would work out. 2SD uses "active balanced headphone ground". clieOS has mentioned that (he has SD btw) that there is not a huge difference between HM-801 Balanced module and SD for RE-272. But then, SD does not have a great battery life with the 9V battery and you probably need a 15V external battery to squeeze even better performance out of it.

iBasso T5, which has been just released, uses BTL grounding - which the page mentions as "also known as balanced grounding". Not sure how it will sound though.

Edit: Speaking of balanced ;) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/576786/high-end-headphone-extravaganza-sale

lol, I PMed him 2 mins after he posted the classified about the stax, I hope he decides to delay the stax sale.

got the i.sound today , beautiful unit , and 5 USB ports !!!

Another one of those cheap "giant killers" - Philips SHE3580 IEM review--$10 giant killers--ER-4P gathering dust

Anybody tried this new FOTM? - The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?

Hmmm... FXT90 has been getting some attention of late too - JVC HA-FXT90 Appreciation Thread [User-Info/Pricing/Reviews on Page 1]

Seems like ZO v2 should not have any problem pairing up with Clip+

And even the T51/S:Flo2 are making a comeback as a point of discussion in some threads (featuring kiteki)

Enough random thoughts for the day?

Back