Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Yep! That's one of the reasons I am considering 1840. Beyer and Audeze seem to be a little lax on QC. From what I've read, it would not be uncommon for two T1s to sound differently. Some people have called T1 to be artificial sounding saying that DT880 sounds better. Audeze had QC issues with LCD2 as well as LCD3. I would be a little uncomfortable buying a new T1 or LCD2, may be used. With an IEM, I can always take a chance because sending it back won't cost an arm and a leg. But, with headphones, it better be just a one way trip to me.

As for HD700, from what I read, it seems to be a little messed up.

If Stax is available locally with warranty, it is one of the options even though it might take twice as long for me to save up money for it.

check meier-audio.com awesome price on HD700, free shipping world wide.

BTW got the ATH-W5000, with my one month battle with mumbai customs. Was in a dilemma whether to get the W3000 or W5000, but went or W5000, as W5000 are said to have lovelier mids ( consolidated by a friend who has both , and some other AT woodies as well)

the sound stage is quite shallow , but the mids are just awesome!

the instrument separation is good , every sound is distinct but hampered by the soundstaging . but the mids are awesome!

higs are detailed , slightly laid back (but never not like HD650, and much more detailed and clear ), but not well extended, but the mids are awesome!

bass is good, never heavy, good quality ( fast ) but my other headphones perform better, BUT THE MIDS ARE AWESOME !!!

And about the mids , you have to hear it to believe it , its not too foreword ( like i found with RE262 ), but is the highlight of these headphones, lush-effortless-grainfree-Detailed, etc. it has just the right tone, that makes the mids soo lovely. Have heard LCD2-HE6-Miracle-HD650 ( all are praised for their mids ) but the mids of W5000 are no joke, hear it to believe.

they dont just joke about audio technica and mids !!!

must audition for anyone, buy it or not decide after you hear it. very different but good experience for me( cause am a fan of neutrality, and flat FR)

I actually was very close to buying T1 from Dr. Meier. But, INR went down and down taking my interest with it :(

Good to know that you finally got W5000. How did you finally resolve the issue with customs? Would be helpful to know all the details.

They demanded proof of purchase / paypal receipt ( for the payment sent) by post, to be sent to mumbai. i sent the documents along with an application. they released it within a few days after that. but they charged 41.5 percent ; customs on the HP :(

Did you need to pay any fine? And I am hoping 41.5% on the value you informed them, $200?

How do you position W5000 vs HE-6? Would you say, on an overall basis, they are in different SQ tiers or somewhat closer than that?

no 5000 fine fortunately. ( on phone they told me 5000 fine for buying above 2K)

For now ill keep them in the same category. but as i said if you go by the characteristics , bass is Ok , treble is Ok ( for the price, others are much better) , soundstage is so-so. being closed isolation is also so-so. it does not smell 1K range HP. but that changes when you put them on , yeah the mids are that good.
it does feel that its in better category than HD650 /k702 for sure .

I had not listened much for the past 2-3 weeks since I was more into movies and later was caught up in some work. Even before that, my 'activity' was to open, take out Clip+ together with one of the newer IEMs. The only other 'activity' I have done at best is take out the charger for Clip+.

Today when I was taking out ES18 and E10M, I noticed a round zipper case. I remember that I usually put IEMs in such cases, not ear buds which occupy the same shelf. I had to open it and scratch my head for several seconds about what the heck it was before remembering that it was the Brookstone DD. Then, I re-arranged things (it was kind of messy) and found another flat case, this time with Eterna - haven't used that in months. That done, I started re-arranging the ear bud half of the shelf. It was simple really - there's OK1, the empty case left behind by Starsonic HDSS (which is now with my laptop for Youtube videos) and... ... ... ... ... a very long stare later, I took out one more case - one specific for ear buds. It took a few more seconds to realize that I do own Sennheiser MX760. I had this feeling that I had gotten rid of all my ear buds except for Yuin OK1 and Starsonic HDSS.

I don't have confusion with the rest of my IEMs - which are arranged in order of my preferences. (Otherwise, alphabetical order can confuse me. How the hell did I arrange last time? Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 or TF10? Earsonics SM3 or SM3? Won't even remember that :ashamed:)

Tonight, after listening to HD600 via QA350 -> UHA6S (really liked them today), I put the headphone case back in it's place. I have no confusion about the case below it - it is indeed the unused Alessandro MS1i in the Grado case. But there was another mysterious headphone bag next to it. Shure? I never bought one of those. I eagerly opened to see if I gifted myself a SRH1840 when I was sleep-shopping. No such luck, only my old, really very old PMX60.

Had a glance at my sources section to keep the brick stack inside, but found no space. Why? There's Clip+, E353, iPod -> 2SD... heh! I do have RoCoo-P too and next slot is .. hmmm.... ZO2! I need to use this once at the very least. At least the next slot should be empty, but there was this black thing.... Why the hell do I have so many amps that I never use? That was Arrow 3G. Walking back to my laptop, I remembered that I also have HRT MSII which has not seen any use (may be 2 hours? That may be too much) in nearly couple of years (I don't even remember when I got 'em)!

I am not exaggerating. It's exactly how things unfolded this evening. I need to either clean out or at least find a way to cycle all of them for regular use :(

Random Head-fi link of the day: Headphone revolver

Sometimes, I wonder why I hesitate so much for buying "cheap" iems like K3003, MH334 or FI-BA-SS (or for that matter, a holy trio of HD800, LCD-2 and Stax SR-009 with matching amps) when I see such posts :scared14:. The next 10-12 posts made my jaw drop more and more until...it started paining and I shut it tight. I also remembered that here on Planet Earth, my bank balance does not have enough zeroes to warrant such a wild dream :crybaby:

:lol:

Yes! Because, Eswar can be satisfied with even a ES18. bhagwan needs at least a BHSE to even pique his interest ;)

Anyone here owns / tried Shure SRH940 or 1440/1840?

Back