Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

After a couple of hours more with EX-1000, I can surely say the FX700 are not going anywhere.

Due to the speed, the Sony can keep up with almost any music - that is not a problem unlike a RE-262. But, it smooths up everything up a bit. So, when you are looking for the "bite" from music, Sony just does not give it. FX700 handles it a bit more raw and energetic.

At times, FX700 puts your a$$ in the front seat, EX-1000 makes you observe from a much distant top row. For instance, Agalloch's first track of "Marrow of the Spirit", which features Cello along with the sound of stream and birds. FX700 actually would manage to put me right there - make me imagine that I am near the stream watching a cello player play with birds chirping in the background. With EX-1000, everything is a bit more mellow and not as intimate as FX700. The stream is present, but you can't hear it's sound all that well. Instead of you being out there sitting under a tree with birds above and in front of you and the cello player performing right in front of you, everything is a bit stretched, distant.

But, at the same time, with a Classical orchestra, it's very atmospheric. The stage disappears, you are not observing a performance, but seems like everything is happening around you. You can visualize the transition between sections happen. This is something that FX700 or any other IEM has not produced for me. FX700 is not far behind when it comes to overall presentation and engagement, just does not feel as "BIG".

Great looks like you don't like the EX1000 so ill make a sacrifice and take it out of your hands ! :D

I like soft and mellow you know. :)

^ I expected something like this from you :p. I'll keep that in mind when I am about to go bankrupt :)

Edit1: I am sure you'll like it, though vocals are still a bit distant.

Edit2: Make that "near bankrupt" + "want customs" + "don't like EX-1000 compared to FX700"

There are people who claim to hear differences between 320kbps / FLAC / WAVE. I don't belong in that camp. If the MP3 files are badly encoded, chances are you will. Otherwise, I doubt if you can hear difference between 320kbps and FLAC. Very low bit files could be a bit different though, I am not sure.

Seems that the difference is entirely based on earphone. Thanks for the info. Now I can stop wasting Bandwidth :)

esanthosh said:
There are people who claim to hear differences between 320kbps / FLAC / WAVE. I don't belong in that camp. If the MP3 files are badly encoded, chances are you will. Otherwise, I doubt if you can hear difference between 320kbps and FLAC. Very low bit files could be a bit different though, I am not sure.

It depends on a few things actually - the ability of your ear to hear + your brain to process information (sometimes audiophiles are under the influence of 'false reality' called placebo), the quality of the original rip, the quality of the encoder, the quality of the source to bring out every tiny bit of nuance to your ears and the ear phones themselves.

For most portable players, 256 kbps VBR / 320 kbps should suffice. I keep FLAC around in a few players with which I do reviews, but for normal listening, I usually stick to 320kbps. For space starved players (Creative Zen V Plus @ 2 GB, Sony E353 @ 4GB - which do not support external cards), I am happy with 256kbps VBR. I ripped the CDs using EAC into FLAC and store it on the PC (where Cost per GB is very low) and convert that into MP3 using foobar for portable players. I also recently tried fre:ac - free audio converter for conversion.

i dnt hear diff between 192kbps and above....I feel I am blessed with normal human ears and not audiophile golden ears..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rip from eac is damn slow...i prefer dbpoweramp

and as far as ex1000....I m interested too and second in line :) ...I know brendon will still prefer re1 over ex1000 :p

Yep! foobar is generally faster at ripping.

"Golden ears" is mostly placebo. It's still the same damn music. In Sony, I managed to squeeze in all 16 CDs of Gustav Mahler's 150th year anniversary collection, all 9 of Opeth's albums, 3 other albums and still have space left. It possibly has more songs than the 8GB of my Clip+.

Unbelievable! I use one term "mellow" and you guys want me to give up my new toy already? :p. I am sure Brendon will prefer RE1 even if he gets customs :p

There's so much of variation on how people hear the EX-1000. I need to spend some more time before I can pick out things. Oh! And I need to try some of the other tips and see how they are too.

Recieved it!

let the pics speak

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Sorry for crappy pics (ipod 4g)

They lack quantity of bass for my liking but, i find when along with E7 and slight bass boost they work nicely for me.

now waiting for S4i (bought from lynx)

Mp4nation shipped them little late but after they shipped i am very surprised they reached me in a week(more or less), changes my opinion of buying directly from mp4nation i thought customs would delay it.

I am kind of turning this thread into random crap.

Still here's what i wanted to ask:

1. what if i untwist the B2 cable, can i twist it again.

2. How do they do the twising, i am thinking of making cable for tf10 like that, but how does it remain twisted, Do they heat it? or some kind of adhersive?

3. anyone know how to disassemble Nu-force NE-6?

Update:

After half hour search its twisted cable! not coiled, spiral etc.

But didn't find how it done.

guesses

1. twist pair of cable or 3 cable and spray some kind of adhersive.

2. Twist and blow hot air.

3. Twist and put it under tension for some time.

Congrats on the EX1000 and the B2! I was really tempted by the B2, especially with the coupon posted here sometime ago, ended up buying the Miles Davis Tribute IEMs for everyday usage instead. Should have them soon, cant wait! :)

Wow, I finally having no choice gave in to Head-Direct's request of $25 for the converter and instead of the converter they sent me a frikking earphone extender cable of sorts :facepalm:

I will sue them if they do not get this rectified now :mad:

Back