Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Bass quantity is very less compared to GR07, even less than Brainwavz M1. It still has enough quantity for my tastes, it is tight and very well detailed. But when coming from GR07, I definitely miss the texture and fullness of the bass. If I want to choose between GR07 and B2 only based their bass performance, I would go with GR07.

^^which genre did you check and which all sound best on B2 ? Considering to order a B2 too.

Where does the B2 take the lead comparing to Vsonic GR07 ?

psygeist said:
^^which genre did you check and which all sound best on B2 ? Considering to order a B2 too. Where does the B2 take the lead comparing to Vsonic GR07 ?

I checked with some of my favorite Tamil songs of AR Rahman and Yuan Shankar raja. Also checked with some rock songs from GNR, Pink Floyd, Muse etc.

I can say in most of the songs I liked the extra detail and clarify offered by the B2 over GR07. GR07 is also very well detailed, but the details are not as pronounced as the B2, B2 has more micro detailing in comparison. Also the midrange in B2 is slightly more forward than in the GR07.

But there are other things that the GR07 excel over the B2. B2's can't match the bass quantity and texture GR07 offers, also the GR07 is slightly more extended in the lower end. This makes the bass of GR07 much more realistic in comparison. Also after listening to the B2 for a couple of hours, I became fatigued. But I never felt that with GR07, they are so comfortable and relaxing in comparison. I am not sure whether it has anything to do with the fit or is it just the sound signature difference.

The choice between these will be purely based on one's tastes. If you want more micro detail, extra clarity and an overall aggressive sound, B2 is the way to go. But if you prefer an enveloping, textured and realistic bass presentation with an overall relaxed sound, GR07 is the one.

This is purely my opinions on these, so take it with a bucket of salt.

Hope this helps.

Hi nizarp, this may sound a lil silly but are you wearing the B2 around and over the ear or straight down? This has much to do with the fit of the iems and may provide a better seal thus leading to a better extension in the bass which you could be losing out due to seal issues. Also keep the volume a tad lesser, this may help in reducing the fatigue incurred from long listening sessions. Remember, a good iem will give you all the details the music has to offer at the least volume level.

I think it's the nature of the signature of B2/DBA-02 that leads to this fatigue than the seal. Observations are in line with how I heard them. B2/DBA-02 are aggressive with a forward mid range and "in your face" treble. It can also get a little overwhelming with detail due to the compressed dynamics. All this could lead to some fatigue. GR07 on the other hand, can be used as a reference for bass and texture of notes, so no way B2 would extend as much as GR07.

Try a foam tip to tame the treble and perhaps a deeper seal. Anaxilus has mentioned that DBA-02 is better with a deeper seal where the housing almost disappears into the ear. If your ear canals and ear shape could allow that, that's one thing to try out!

bennysachdev said:
Hi nizarp, this may sound a lil silly but are you wearing the B2 around and over the ear or straight down? This has much to do with the fit of the iems and may provide a better seal thus leading to a better extension in the bass which you could be losing out due to seal issues. Also keep the volume a tad lesser, this may help in reducing the fatigue incurred from long listening sessions. Remember, a good iem will give you all the details the music has to offer at the least volume level.
esanthosh said:
I think it's the nature of the signature of B2/DBA-02 that leads to this fatigue than the seal. Observations are in line with how I heard them. B2/DBA-02 are aggressive with a forward mid range and "in your face" treble. It can also get a little overwhelming with detail due to the compressed dynamics. All this could lead to some fatigue. GR07 on the other hand, can be used as a reference for bass and texture of notes, so no way B2 would extend as much as GR07.

Try a foam tip to tame the treble and perhaps a deeper seal. Anaxilus has mentioned that DBA-02 is better with a deeper seal where the housing almost disappears into the ear. If your ear canals and ear shape could allow that, that's one thing to try out!

I agree 100% what esanthosh has said.

I was wearing them over the ear. I tried many tips and now settled with the comply tips came with them. Using the comply foams, I can insert them fairly deep and I could achieve a very good isolation too. So I believe there is no problem with the fit. Also to make it clear, the bass extension of B2 is very good but the GR07 has better extension in comparison.

nizarp said:
I checked with some of my favorite Tamil songs of AR Rahman and Yuan Shankar raja. Also checked with some rock songs from GNR, Pink Floyd, Muse etc.

The choice between these will be purely based on one's tastes. If you want more micro detail, extra clarity and an overall aggressive sound, B2 is the way to go. But if you prefer an enveloping, textured and realistic bass presentation with an overall relaxed sound, GR07 is the one.

This is purely my opinions on these, so take it with a bucket of salt.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your impressions. I noticed, using thick bi-flange tips give a nice pronounced bass in RE272. Might as well try this on B2.

If only my newly acquired Yamaha HP-50A were circumaural, i would've cancelled HE500 order. These orthos have such awesome/awesomacious/awesomeic/awesomest.....response between 50hz-6khz. The treble is really non peaky although there is very slight roughness and the lower treble dominates most of the treble section. SS has good depth but average LR. These sound very full yet there is absolutely no overlapping of mid bass and lower mids as observed in many dynamic sets. Although i'd prefer a little smoother upper treble but these still are a really great set. Thanks to Titana for these ear openers ;) UPDATE: I think there is a minor elevation in upper mids resulting in a better slam. The treble has an even reach till approx. 10.5khz -gentle roll off till 12khz- sharp roll off thereafter. These still have extension till say 13khz but very low amplitude. The bass is very tight and impactful and is quite even after say 35-40hz.

Well, you were supposed to buy the PMB80 which does have a very smooth & extended treble response & shouldn't have insisted for yammies. :p
Don't blame you though, the yammies have such a seductive sound that they are hard to ignore.

Had a really nice time yesterday. Its always great to meet people who are passionate about their music & have a keen ear.:cheers:

Nice time??.....for me it was worth missing a job interview & going by the degree of laziness i possess my room mates think this was an achievement...me too ;) . You know what , those 2 hours have already saved lots of cash & non infinite imagination of ortho sound. I only wish these 2hrs were a little earlier....could have saved 10k+8k+3k+6k...+12k....worth of FOTMs
& yes indeed PMBs had extended treble but the Yamahas had GOD on their side :)

^^ Welcome to the ortho club. :)

Bugger Titana got me hooked onto them some time back and I ended up getting a Yamaha YH-100 moded by a Head-fi member dbel84. Bloody thing eats my Sennheiser HD650 for breakfast. :(

The Sennheisers still get lots of listening time but not so much for music but more for gaming and movies as the Senns have the advantage of comfort. However for sheer listening pleasure the YH-100s are superior to the Senns in everything except soundstage width since the Yamahas are closed vented cans while the Senns are open cans.

@ Brendon : You are welcome !:bleh:

All you need now is a nice R2R DAC to complete your headphone setup. I can't even begin to say how much difference a good source makes to these yammies though It is probably safe to say that I have never heard better mid-range performance from any headphone even among orthos. And, the improvements in soundstage & imaging are so significant that one doesn't really miss the open headphones.

P.S. I shall be joining the YH-100 club soon. ;)

^^ Ooh ! Can't wait to hear your impressions. :)

@Faheem - Err remember I offered them for sale a long time back ? That was because they didn't sit on my head when I listened to them and also because my Compass caused some sibilance. Now I used a hand towel wrapped on the headband to fix them onto my head securely and voila I was glad you didn't take me up on my offer. :p

Looks like the next wave of flagships will need one of my kidneys going by the current trend. I vote heavily in favor of my kidney in that case.

Entry level customs are available around the same cost or lesser even after including the shipping (impressions & IEM) + impressions cost.

AT CK100 Pro : Amazon Japan Link, Review: [Review] CK100PRO Unboxing & Impressions (+ a retrospective journey with Audio-technica and versus CK100)

Phonak 232 - Amazon.com: Audéo PFE 232 Perfect fit Earphones with Mic: Electronics

Westone 4R - Amazon.com: Westone 4R In Ear Four Drive Headphones: Electronics

Of course, there's always Final Audio Piano Forte X-CC to consider - (Amazon Japan Link)

CK100 Pro looks odd but impressing, Phonak 232 is very expensive.

I agree with you @esanthosh, it is good to go for custom these are way expensive and think of the price that we have pay after custom with current dollar price.

But i am feeling very attracted to CK100 Pro :)

Good work esanthosh, keep coming these kind of information, any view on shure new coming open headphones 1440 and 1840

Back