Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

oK...guyz....anyone wants to talk about the V SONIC GR02 BASS EDITION headphones???? may be we could get sum interesting inputs here :)

My views on them from another thread.

I also progressed from the BRAINWAVZ M1 --> VSONIC GR02 Bass Edition and these are the improvements I found in the sound quality --
  • The bass has a volume to it and more importantly the rumble-punch effect, I realized with the M1 I was actually listening to scant scraps of bass to start with and my previous PL30's were no better in this department, so the GR 02 reigns supreme here. Bass is well controlled and a good addition to the sound gamut and I like this.
  • The vocals sit forward / along with the voluminous bass but are in no ways swamped by the latter, they are clear and enjoyable.
  • Treble although a little recessed is well done although not as defined OR lets say detailed as the M1, which with its tamer bass has a great amount of detail in this section.
  • Highs sit well rear and I feel are good enough, although if you kick the volume, I feel they turn brittle and crashy so I avoid cranking up the volume. Though this is not an issue till say ~70% volume and then also it is reasonable it is only in excessively complex passages and symphonies does the high start to irritate at high volumes.
  • Wider sound-stage, yes bigger and better than the M1; why do I say better is because these IEM's sound good in a musical sense (if you want technical detail you are better with the M1 OR PL-50 here), they give the feeling of nice instrumentation and mixing of the audio. The M1 to me sounded very technical, plenty of detail but the instruments seemed to be slightly separated and detached in the overall presentation of the audio.
This is just my opinion on these, you might not like all the above points and may favour the M1 over the GR02 and I will not challenge you because as esanthosh has repeatedly mentioned, sound cannot be perceived empirically, everyone has their own taste and will perceive the same sound with a different thought.

Someone tell me song names to test TF10 vs Brainwaves M2. I need to show that TF10 >> M2.
Need to analyze parts of songs which distinguish TF10 form M2. Can be any genre.

Brainwavz has released their their new Dual Driver Dynamic earphones namely R1 ,also offering 2 days FedEx shipping and can be bought for $32 :yes:. Initial review is pretty good on Head -Fi Brainwavz R1 Review

Deal can be found here Brainwavz R1 Dual Dynamic Speaker Earphones - Free Fedex 2 Day To Select Destinations. I think this is a solid deal and much better than Soundmagic's at the price .The OP is comparing it's clearity with the B2 and also finding it to be better than his old M2. Any views on the same.:23:

Finally some closure. my quest for an ES18 ends. Yes, It's true. They are all that the reviews say they are
Flipkart screwed up my order, sat on my money for 3 weeks, got it back
Pristine note screwed up my order too, got fed up with their non responsiveness, thankfully the payment too got reversed

Finally HomeShop18 to the rescue (and got it cheaper than pristine note). My quest has ended. They are above and beyond the meelectronics R1. and louder and bassier than my current daily use MP21's (but the MP21 has better low end) 3dB sensitivity seems pretty obvious. Listening to bollywood electro remixes sounds even better. Listened to a friend's E10M yesterday. Somehow they felt uncomfortable. It's amazing how soundmagic makes such good IEM's so cheap

Suppose it is the build quality. The feel ain't that great, and one of the medium tips tore off when I was removing them to put the Large ones on

I was looking for a decent set of in ear headphones to use with my galaxy s2 ... My budget is around 2k .. the kind of music i mostly listen to is buddha bar type lounge music and trance like atb david guetta etc... i would love it if the bass would be nice and thumpy ... how the brainwavz r1 mentioned here in this thread they look really tempting but dunno how they will perform.... im in a completel dillema here so any help would be much appreciated

I was looking for a decent set of in ear headphones to use with my galaxy s2 ... My budget is around 2k .. the kind of music i mostly listen to is buddha bar type lounge music and trance like atb david guetta etc... i would love it if the bass would be nice and thumpy ... how the brainwavz r1 mentioned here in this thread they look really tempting but dunno how they will perform.... im in a completel dillema here so any help would be much appreciated

You have the following options --
  • VSONIC GR99
  • VSONIC GR02 Bass edition
  • BRAINWAVZ Pro Alpha
About the R1 I do not have much to say because of it being a relatively new runner in the pack, wait for reviews to come up and make your choice.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Can u tell me where can i get the vsonic from ?
Also another thing say if im in a budget of 1500/- only :( which one should i go for .. how are the senheiser cx180 ?? i need rough and tough headphones for daily use so would prefer something sturdier ...

Can u tell me where can i get the vsonic from ?
Also another thing say if im in a budget of 1500/- only :( which one should i go for .. how are the senheiser cx180 ?? i need rough and tough headphones for daily use so would prefer something sturdier ...

VSONIC GR99 ~1700/- OR SoundMAGIC PL-21 ~1200/- at the lower price point.

For VSONIC gear talk to @abhi_jollyguy. Cheerio!

Never used Sennheiser CX-180 because I find them over-rated and not worth the monies. Only favourable point is the better build-quality although VSONIC is not poor either; SoundMAGIC is the flimsy Chinese 'maal[/I' but sound quality is better than Sennheiser's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the CX 180 rather bass heavy when comparing them with my ES18 - Which i liked, but given their price, not really sure. I own a pair of MP21 and ES18, and both have their merits. Pl21 has better frequency response, but its a bit laid back, while the ES18 can get very loud, and has a very forward sound. Both have ample bass, but the nature is a bit different. I've listened to higher end stuff too, but didnt find any worth

Ive had a bad experience with soundmagic pl11 where that stupid Lwire got crushed or something after which i could hear sound from only one headphone .... The vsnoic gr99 looks great .. also how is the build quality of the soundmagic e10 ? and is it good for my requirements .. i usually listen to music while going for my photography tours so i need something that will withstand all the bending and twisting....

Finally some closure. my quest for an ES18 ends. Yes, It's true. They are all that the reviews say they are
Flipkart screwed up my order, sat on my money for 3 weeks, got it back
Pristine note screwed up my order too, got fed up with their non responsiveness, thankfully the payment too got reversed

Finally HomeShop18 to the rescue (and got it cheaper than pristine note). My quest has ended. They are above and beyond the meelectronics R1. and louder and bassier than my current daily use MP21's (but the MP21 has better low end) 3dB sensitivity seems pretty obvious. Listening to bollywood electro remixes sounds even better. Listened to a friend's E10M yesterday. Somehow they felt uncomfortable. It's amazing how soundmagic makes such good IEM's so cheap

Suppose it is the build quality. The feel ain't that great, and one of the medium tips tore off when I was removing them to put the Large ones on

I sent a mail to FlipKart to find out if ES 18 is really in stock and they said it's available and would take 6-8 days for delivery. But screw them- HS18 is cheaper by 70 bucks lol so ended up ordering from them :D My only problem with HS18 is their Aramex courier. It's a nightmare they kept going to the wrong address for like three times!! I followed up with the orders by calling their CC.

You have the following options -- About the R1 I do not have much to say because of it being a relatively new runner in the pack, wait for reviews to come up and make your choice.

I have ordered it and may receive it tomorrow so you can expect a review of R1 soon here on TE :)

Hi Guys, few ppl should remember me! When I saw Brainwavz R1 offer, I jumped in and received it yesterday. Never had experience with these popular and cost effective headphones am big fan of Branded! (I know it is sin) I actually wanted to try A151 which esanthosh ranked very high. Now for quick review (*layman* careful), the moment I tried it I realized how much 'fun' these earphones are, they were particularly great with Melodious, Folky, or Retro songs, the bass is very good so is low, but for fast, detailed, bassy songs you know the bass is bit overpowering (for the earphone!) and mids aren't there as well I compare with (Shure SE215, SE535) for everyday earphone these should be amazing, and the fact they are great with melodious songs should be a plus, the same song in SE215 though the presentation is clear, the 'fun' part is simply not there, will post more in own laymanic terms going forward...

Finally got the Hifiman HE400 :

DSC04956.jpg
DSC04955.jpg
DSC04954.jpg
DSC04953.jpg

Congrats man. What's the whole chain you're using to drive them? Only one of the 4 pics loading on tapatalk :(

Are they as easy to drive as Fang claims them to be? I've got the HE4 and they require quite a bit of juice.

Thanks bro.
Yeah, these are lot easier to drive. The Yamahas take 3 times the volume to match.
Although very easy to power they can take lots of power & still maintain control, They dont just get loud but sound grand as well.
Will be soon getting velour pads for them because as of now they have a little hollow mids (not exactly hollow but so airy that it gives such a feeling)

The chain is -
Firestone Redkey USB to COAX converter -> Firestone Spitfire MK I (Enclosed in self made bad looking wooden box) -> JDS Labs O2

The HE4 sound a tad V shaped too. Probably doesn't help that my SR71B is a bit treble hot.

Great stuff for the price though. Not sure about the difference the two pads make to the sound but the velour are far more comfortable.

The HE4 sound a tad V shaped too. Probably doesn't help that my SR71B is a bit treble hot.

Great stuff for the price though. Not sure about the difference the two pads make to the sound but the velour are far more comfortable.

You've got Velours on your pair??
The HE4 according to a headfier & owner of HE400 too said that the HE4 can take all 6Watts of power from the LYR headamp. Its that power hungry.
I recently tried my yamahas with a very old Sony receiver speaker output that delivered great dynamics. You should try speaker out too with HE4.

Got any spare velours for sale?

Back