Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Okay, I bought SM PL30 from a fellow member few days back, and they sound good. Will stick to them for now.

While I initially planned to get the XB30, now I am saving for XB90 (those 16mm drivers sound magical to my ears). My friend owns one, bought from a local shop in Mumbai.

I want to ask here, where can I get the XB90 for a good price??

So it seems like Signature Acoustics have something new for us. Their second IEM : Elements O-16 live.
Open back barrel shaped IEM, low impedance, 8 mm driver. And a tag line of "Hear the call"
Really curious about the sound. Well..... other than spacious of course :p

10356012_758552090846683_4710892771674622890_n.jpg

Got Samson SR950 Just now. Intial expression may be 15 minutes listening.<br />
<br />
Very Clean and Airy sound no overhyped bass, Vocals are pretty clear.<br />
b66f50f450bd5797d7851ea53a99e044.jpg
<br />
49840a8493350e817493298619db8ed3.jpg
<br/>

It's always nice when quality non-mainstream products are brought to India. Chinese IEMs have always maintained a very impressive price/performance ratio, and free worldwide shipping has made them more accessible. However durability issues(ship back), long shipping times, customs issues are factors that are only cured by local availability.

The new triple hybrid Fidue A63 and dual dynamic A71 will be available at Hifinage. Fidue is a chinese company that shares the price/performance ratio of their counterparts but improves on the aesthetics, durability and presentation by a lot.
No idea about the pricing of the new products in India. But with their track record, I think it will be reasonable.

In other news, Beyerdynamic products are available on flipkart, he new Sony hybrid XBA-A1AP is available (significantly cheaper than abroad), Fiio's new budget player is here.

Looking for a budget headphone for rough use.
  • Why? I am unable to use IEMs because I need to hear (at least) a bit of my surroundings and it takes a bit of time to insert and remove IEMs.
  • Budget: Cheapest possible (Would a max of 5K be enough?)
  • Usage: Rough use directly out of Laptop / PC for the occasional Music / Youtube videos. Usually a few minutes, sometimes a couple of hours.
  • Primary requirement:
    • Comfort. Over the ear would be nice. HD600 is very comfortable, but I don't want to take it out often for casual listening. Hippo Safari, which I currently use, is not optimal for longer durations.
    • Don't want something with long cables.
  • Isolation: Optional
  • Sound and related:
    • As decent as possible within the budget.
    • Warm sounding, but not something with boomy bass. May be I am asking too much!
    • Nothing that requires amplification.
  • Build Quality: Should last sometime with rough use.
  • Availability: Something locally available. Don't want to import.

@esanthosh . nice to have you back . Takstar pro 80 would have been my suggestion (bang for buck wise in terms of SQ, Comfort might be issue for longer duration) if you were open to import. Something locally- audio technica ath m20x, m30x i presume. Well built

Last edited:
the takstar is very well rated i hear - id give it go under 5k
hd280 again closed pair.. but its confortable once u use it enough lol
very balanced sound.. bass isnt boomy at all .

I can hear the right driver on the RE600 crackle and pop at random. Its been barely a month with them.

I babied them too, in Pelican case when not in use. Never got the cables tangled, never dropped them! I got some father practice in earlier than expected.

No luck with Hifiman IEMs!!

I can hear the right driver on the RE600 crackle and pop at random. Its been barely a month with them.

I babied them too, in Pelican case when not in use. Never got the cables tangled, never dropped them! I got some father practice in earlier than expected.

No luck with Hifiman IEMs!!

I can see one of the wires at the separator joint on my RE400 as well. Haven't had a problem with sound till now though. I haven't actually babied mine but the usage wasn't rough either that warrants such an issue popping up so quickly.

Looking for a budget headphone for rough use.
  • Why? I am unable to use IEMs because I need to hear (at least) a bit of my surroundings and it takes a bit of time to insert and remove IEMs.
  • Budget: Cheapest possible (Would a max of 5K be enough?)
  • Usage: Rough use directly out of Laptop / PC for the occasional Music / Youtube videos. Usually a few minutes, sometimes a couple of hours.
  • Primary requirement:
    • Comfort. Over the ear would be nice. HD600 is very comfortable, but I don't want to take it out often for casual listening. Hippo Safari, which I currently use, is not optimal for longer durations.
    • Don't want something with long cables.
  • Isolation: Optional
  • Sound and related:
    • As decent as possible within the budget.
    • Warm sounding, but not something with boomy bass. May be I am asking too much!
    • Nothing that requires amplification.
  • Build Quality: Should last sometime with rough use.
  • Availability: Something locally available. Don't want to import.
I've been on the lookout too. Nearly the same budget and requirements.
The only headphone that made my want list was the MEElectronics Air-Fi Matrix2 AF62.
Wireless: Bluetooth 4.0 and aptX
Neutral with mid bass hump, smooth treble, good soundstage, light, 22 hrs battery, playback buttons, optional passive mode, built in mic.
All for 80$.
And then the availability killed it. :rolleyes:

Let me know if you zero in on one.
The porta pros at 3500 seem tantalizing. (One year warranty too) Have you auditioned them at any point?

If these are good, I would buy them ASAP before the price increases :p
If you could answer a few questions, that would be great :cat:
How are the microphonics ? (mainly compared to Soundmagic E10; high cable noise than these and I wouldn't buy them)
As these are open back I presume isolation is bad ?
Finally, signature ? (again compared to E10)
TIA :D

Unfortunately I have not auditioned the Soundmagic E10. But, I should be able to answer your questions from a general perspective.
1. Microphonics: The O16 features a tightly twisted cable sheathed in plastic which retains shape memory to an alarming extent. But microphonics are surprisingly low even worn cable down. Lowest I've experienced in an IEM. Also, non-existent when worn cable up.

2. Open back design: Yes, being open back, the isolation does suffer. Okay, that is an understatement. Isolation is very very low but this is inevitable and it does pay off in the soundstage department. This IEM is not meant to be used outdoors or even in a mildly noisy enviroment, so poor isolation is not a negative trait.

3. Sound signature: This is still early into my review process therefore it could be subject to (slight) change.
In general, it exhibits a balanced/fairly neutral sound signature with a slight mid forwardness. End to end extension is good with very mild roll-off on both ends. The treble is laid back and non-sibilant but conveys sufficient treble energy through some well controlled peaks.(People who like prominent treble will be disappointed). Bass extension is good and rises gradually into a midbass hump which keeps the signature natural and warm. It does lack slightly in Impact and punch(and loses some detail), which I think is a result of the venting design. The mids are fairly accurate and is linear across the range. The only drawback is that it occasionally suffers from slight unnaturalness (vocals seem stretched). This is due to the boosted soundstage.
The sound stage is it's main strength and works very well with live recordings(which is what it is meant to do). However poorly recorded tracks will suffer a bit.

Overall, I think it is a very good and enjoyable IEM that doesn't particularly emphasize any region of the spectrum and provides the widest soundstage I have heard in an IEM (more than my Brainwavz R1). It does have a few quirks but it does not manifest on every track. At the early bird price, I think it is a very very good deal and not to be missed if you are on the lookout for an IEM that does what the O16 advertises.

@RD274 : Sorry, I haven't heard the Brainwavz M4.

Since I have not heard the Soundmagic E10 or the Brainwavz M4 I cannot say for sure if you will like the O16.
It is far from the conventional U/V shaped signature and is not to be considered as a fun IEM(which requires colouration). The O16 delivers on what it advertises.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Listening info:
Reference IEM: HiFiMAN RE400
Files : Above 320kbps, mix of all genres. Also, many live recordings were tested
Listening volume: -25db on sansa clip
Tips: Hifiman bar tips
Source/player: Sansa clip, LG G2, Asus ultrabook.

Unfortunately I have not auditioned the Soundmagic E10. But, I should be able to answer your questions from a general perspective.
1. Microphonics: The O16 features a tightly twisted cable sheathed in plastic which retains shape memory to an alarming extent. But microphonics are surprisingly low even worn cable down. Lowest I've experienced in an IEM. Also, non-existent when worn cable up.

2. Open back design: Yes, being open back, the isolation does suffer. Okay, that is an understatement. Isolation is very very low but this is inevitable and it does pay off in the soundstage department. This IEM is not meant to be used outdoors or even in a mildly noisy enviroment, so poor isolation is not a negative trait.

3. Sound signature: This is still early into my review process therefore it could be subject to (slight) change.
In general, it exhibits a balanced/fairly neutral sound signature with a slight mid forwardness. End to end extension is good with very mild roll-off on both ends. The treble is laid back and non-sibilant but conveys sufficient treble energy through some well controlled peaks.(People who like prominent treble will be disappointed). Bass extension is good and rises gradually into a midbass hump which keeps the signature natural and warm. It does lack slightly in Impact and punch(and loses some detail), which I think is a result of the venting design. The mids are fairly accurate and is linear across the range. The only drawback is that it occasionally suffers from slight unnaturalness (vocals seem stretched). This is due to the boosted soundstage.
The sound stage is it's main strength and works very well with live recordings(which is what it is meant to do). However poorly recorded tracks will suffer a bit.

Overall, I think it is a very good and enjoyable IEM that doesn't particularly emphasize any region of the spectrum and provides the widest soundstage I have heard in an IEM (more than my Brainwavz R1). It does have a few quirks but it does not manifest on every track. At the early bird price, I think it is a very very good deal and not to be missed if you are on the lookout for an IEM that does what the O16 advertises.

@RD274 : Sorry, I haven't heard the Brainwavz M4.

Since I have not heard the Soundmagic E10 or the Brainwavz M4 I cannot say for sure if you will like the O16.
It is far from the conventional U/V shaped signature and is not to be considered as a fun IEM(which requires colouration). The O16 delivers on what it advertises.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Listening info:
Reference IEM: HiFiMAN RE400
Files : Above 320kbps, mix of all genres. Also, many live recordings were tested
Listening volume: -25db on sansa clip
Tips: Hifiman bar tips
Source/player: Sansa clip, LG G2, Asus ultrabook.
Seems like neutral-warm sound sig. with smooth treble like tdk -ba200 , sony mdr ex-600/1000

Back