Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Damm... I was considering vsd3s.
But now I'm not sure.

I listen to rock/pop/country/metal rock.
Right now I'm using e10.

Can you guys please suggest iem under 3k.

Look I'm not saying it cannot work for you. It's a very, very good piece but just not for me. I've used Nuforce NE-700X and ME Electronics - M6 in the past and the V-sonics tear them apart in terms of cutting out the muddiness. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't want to listen to an entire album at 1 go on these. Having said that this is just speculation. The TF10 took time to grow on me as expectations were different when I bought them and I'm pretty sure these are growers too.

Hey everyone, after selling of my Asg1.2, I bought VIBE Z2 pro, I took some time out, but now that my b'day is near I want to gift myself Fidue A83, what would be your humble opinion.

I mostly listen to Taylor Swift, Arcade fire, Lorde, Avril, OSTs from Patrick Doyle and Hans Zimmer and Hindi songs, mainstream music.

I didn't like my ck100pro much, it felt congested to me for the lack of better term.

PS has anyone tried the Samsung dual drivers? These thing is dawning on me, like them better than Asg1.2.

Thanks

Any opinions for a good comfortable open back headphone in the 500-600$ range? I'll be buying a good amp as well. Budget for that is ~500-1000$. Source will be my AMR DP777. Would prefer to buy both in India but can import if required.

I mostly listen to prog rock and jazz if the musical taste matters.

HD800 comes to mind as a worthy contender although bit over your budget. If sourced from overseas should a little cheaper.
There are sevral options in the 1000$ range, however not many justify the price. Audezes are plagued with cloudy bass and average resolution. Hifiman have product variance and after having owned the terrible souding HE400 won't recommend to anyone.
HD600/650 are said to be good but the bass distortion is too much.
I have heard HD800 on two occasions and found it to be pretty good. Respectable speed, resolution, some bite in lower treble, some suckout in upper mids but all in all a good headphone.

I have owned the hd650 previously for a year before selling it. Found it to be very warm and a bit veiled. Would be happier with something more neutral. How is the beyerdynamic t90?

Update - got a Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium for the time being. Didn't want to spend too much in the interim. To be honest it is absolutely fantastic for the money (19k locally).

I'm liking it much much more than whatever I cared for my HD650 earlier.

I need to budget for a good tube headphone amp in the future. For the time being, the headphone out jack of my marantz pm6004 is doing a really awesome job - much much better than the dedicated headphone out of a Xonar STX and also an Audinst HUD MX2. Its clean, warm and exactly how a good headphone amp should sound.

Last edited:
So I bought ibasso d14, nice little dac. Going to compare it to my friends dx90 next week probably. Sounds good for the money (17.2k + 800 customs). DHL was fast enough.

CIEM users here, how much did you end up paying customs and with what courier service? I'll be getting my aaw a3h next month and worried about customs.

Pulled the trigger on a Darkvoice 336SE yesterday. Hope it goes well with my headphone. Marantz was a bit bright on extended listens. Wanted tubes.

Nice to know that esanthosh got his first CIEM :p

Here I am dabbling between usage of UM Miracle and UM Merlin. I think I reached the >90 percentile of audio nirvana. There may be something better out there. But for a long time I don't care. Of course, a great deal is the whole audio chain and the recording.

Ditched Mier Audio Stepdance in favor of Lear FSM V2 02 (with MUSES01 opamps). Replaced Asus STX I/V opamps with AD8620ARZ and Buffer with MUSES02. The whole chain gleams of detail and high fidelity now. Can no longer go back to anything that's below that. And for portability, I am using Sony NWZ ZX1.

I'm in the market for a decent pair of IEM/earbuds for use primarily while jogging

I'm looking to spend 1-1.5k. I see two options as of now

1. Meelectronics M6 Sport Fi - 1.2k
2. Audio Technica ATH - CP300 - 1.5k

any thoughts for mostly classic rock music with a scattering of upbeat pop songs and the occasional classical album (opera/symphony types)

source would be a sansa clip plus, i am no audiophile.

TIA!

Last edited:
Nice to know that esanthosh got his first CIEM :p

Here I am dabbling between usage of UM Miracle and UM Merlin. I think I reached the >90 percentile of audio nirvana. There may be something better out there. But for a long time I don't care. Of course, a great deal is the whole audio chain and the recording.

Ditched Mier Audio Stepdance in favor of Lear FSM V2 02 (with MUSES01 opamps). Replaced Asus STX I/V opamps with AD8620ARZ and Buffer with MUSES02. The whole chain gleams of detail and high fidelity now. Can no longer go back to anything that's below that. And for portability, I am using Sony NWZ ZX1.

Hi psygeist, I have a Xonar STX too. do you mind sharing a guide or a link on how you swapped the opamps and buffer and where did you get those? I've owned the stx since 4 years now I've always been curious. You mind telling us more about your setup? How much of a difference is it compared to stock?

Hi psygeist, I have a Xonar STX too. do you mind sharing a guide or a link on how you swapped the opamps and buffer and where did you get those? I've owned the stx since 4 years now I've always been curious. You mind telling us more about your setup? How much of a difference is it compared to stock?

Use this guide. If you are using RCA out (those red and white outputs) then swap the Buffer Opamp too as it will process the output too. There are two I/V opamps and 1 Buffer opamp which you can swap.

http://www.hifivision.com/articles-guides/21045-changing-opamps-asus-xonar-essense-st-stx.html

My setup:
Foobar 2000 (ASIO) > Asus Xonar STX (I/V opamps AD8620ARZ and Buffer MUSES02) > FSM 02 V2 (with MUSES01 opamps) > UM MIracle/Merlin

I bought these opamps from ebay (MUSES01 and MUSES02) and cimarrontechnology (AD8620ARZ).

Sound is much more clear and bass goes deep. It's a rather intimate presentation with focus on vocals. Inline with my NWZ ZX1 performance.

I would like to try all MUSES01 and MUSES02 combination. You can try the STX II combination too.

Use this guide. If you are using RCA out (those red and white outputs) then swap the Buffer Opamp too as it will process the output too. There are two I/V opamps and 1 Buffer opamp which you can swap.

http://www.hifivision.com/articles-guides/21045-changing-opamps-asus-xonar-essense-st-stx.html

My setup:
Foobar 2000 (ASIO) > Asus Xonar STX (I/V opamps AD8620ARZ and Buffer MUSES02) > FSM 02 V2 (with MUSES01 opamps) > UM MIracle/Merlin

I bought these opamps from ebay (MUSES01 and MUSES02) and cimarrontechnology (AD8620ARZ).

Sound is much more clear and bass goes deep. It's a rather intimate presentation with focus on vocals. Inline with my NWZ ZX1 performance.

I would like to try all MUSES01 and MUSES02 combination. You can try the STX II combination too.

The muses opamps on sale at ebay are pretty much guaranteed to be fakes. But hey if you like the sound, then why bother with such. Been into high end audio for a while now and have realized that things don't always follow logic in this area. STX with upgraded opamps and a linear psu punches way above its weight.

The muses opamps on sale at ebay are pretty much guaranteed to be fakes. But hey if you like the sound, then why bother with such. Been into high end audio for a while now and have realized that things don't always follow logic in this area. STX with upgraded opamps and a linear psu punches way above its weight.

Not everyone who sells on ebay is selling fake items. For international transaction I prefer ebay because I can always do a claim in case something goes wrong, e.g., if I don't get the parcel.

http://stores.ebay.com/AUDINST/Other-/_i.html?_fsub=1&_sid=995992584&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Not everyone who sells on ebay is selling fake items. For international transaction I prefer ebay because I can always do a claim in case something goes wrong, e.g., if I don't get the parcel.

http://stores.ebay.com/AUDINST/Other-/_i.html?_fsub=1&_sid=995992584&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

EBay does have some great deals from time to time. I just got a darkvoice 336se headamp and an smsl M8 dac + p1 psu is on the way. Can't disagree about that. The thing is JRC had put out an advisory saying do not buy the opamps from eBay saying they are fake. The best source for audio grade opamps is digikey / Farnell / manufacturer 's website.

So I bought ibasso d14, nice little dac. Going to compare it to my friends dx90 next week probably. Sounds good for the money (17.2k + 800 customs). DHL was fast enough.

CIEM users here, how much did you end up paying customs and with what courier service? I'll be getting my aaw a3h next month and worried about customs.

Well I'll answer my own question,
I received my a3h from null audio, had to pay 800 bucks on 23 $ marked value on the package, funny. Anyway i chose FedEx international priority so ymmv with registered post.

And I only had brief listen with dx90 and I'm pretty sure I hear little to discernible improvement on my d14, amazing.

And finally at the price I paid for a3h, another fantastic buy, the built quality is good. For pictures here,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724059/adv...cost-ciems-including-hybrids/90#post_11929694

For hi res pictures please ask.

I'm also waiting for my pwaudio black icon iem cable to arrive

Back