Raspberry Pi based always on torrent box

SMB gives random issues. SFTP (or just ftp) is much better. Most sync apps have the option for it and there are plenty of server apps available too. Also find it more reliable as you can see the log and find issues.
Tried that too as SMB performance to CPU cost is not great on the Pi. ftp is timing out as well but only on the USB mounted drive. I can copy files from the SD card to the target machine easlly. I uninstalled Kaspersky to see if that was the issue but no dice.
I even set up a ftp site on the Windows box with IIS but same thing happened there when I tried to ftp using command line.

Tried that too as SMB performance to CPU cost is not great on the Pi. ftp is timing out as well but only on the USB mounted drive. I can copy files from the SD card to the target machine easlly. I uninstalled Kaspersky to see if that was the issue but no dice.
I even set up a ftp site on the Windows box with IIS but same thing happened there when I tried to ftp using command line.
What are you using for FTP server. Configure settings there. or see if there is any setting that is idling the usb drive after an interval.

What are you using for FTP server. Configure settings there. or see if there is any setting that is idling the usb drive after an interval.
I checked hdparm and the USB drive is not idling. I did a fresh reinstall and this time instead of wifi static IP I went with ethernet static IP and everything is fine and smooth.
My rsync shell scripts work fine with around 21 MB/s throughput when writing files to my Windows SMB share.
Most likely a bug with dietpi when using wifi as the only connection mode.
pi-hole seems okay to me as well but only my Galaxy S9 is configured to use it as a DNS resolver so need further usage to understand if it is messing up something.
The problem is now that the Pi is like Kashmir with the LAN cable going to the router on side and the power cable to the switchboard on another side. So much for my plans for a shove-anywhere Pi box.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Need a suggestion again. Currently I am using a 1 TB 2.5" WD external HDD for the RPi download mountpoint.
I intend to seed to a ratio of 2.0 and so I would really go for a SSD which has no degradation issues with simultaneous read operations unlike a HDD.

This is the M.2 to USB enclosure I am planning to buy @ Rs 2.7k-

But I am at a conundrum regarding the SSD for which I have shortlisted two options-

Western Digital 120GB Internal Solid State Drive (WDS120G2G0B) @ Rs 1.7k

Samsung 860 EVO Series 250GB M.2 SATA Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-N6E250BW) @ Rs 4.7k

Now I have been using only Samsung SSDs since 2013 and they are problem free so far. I have 3 Samsung SSDs in my gaming rig and 2 more in my Windows file server.

However the WD 120 GB is dirt-cheap and I don't need more than that for seeding stuff for say 2 days max.

Anybody have any experience with the WD drive? Or should I go with a tried and tested Samsung which is almost thrice the price for twice the capacity.

P.S. I am only looking at SATA M.2 SSDs to minimize the form factor of the Pi. nvme is unnecessary obviously.

I got this case as well which seems to be a good option for cooling the Pi which runs at 54C even with the additional heatsinks I purchased.

Hi guys. Need a suggestion again. Currently I am using a 1 TB 2.5" WD external HDD for the RPi download mountpoint.
I intend to seed to a ratio of 2.0 and so I would really go for a SSD which has no degradation issues with simultaneous read operations unlike a HDD.

This is the M.2 to USB enclosure I am planning to buy @ Rs 2.7k-

But I am at a conundrum regarding the SSD for which I have shortlisted two options-

Western Digital 120GB Internal Solid State Drive (WDS120G2G0B) @ Rs 1.7k

Samsung 860 EVO Series 250GB M.2 SATA Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-N6E250BW) @ Rs 4.7k

Now I have been using only Samsung SSDs since 2013 and they are problem free so far. I have 3 Samsung SSDs in my gaming rig and 2 more in my Windows file server.

However the WD 120 GB is dirt-cheap and I don't need more than that for seeding stuff for say 2 days max.

Anybody have any experience with the WD drive? Or should I go with a tried and tested Samsung which is almost thrice the price for twice the capacity.

P.S. I am only looking at SATA M.2 SSDs to minimize the form factor of the Pi. nvme is unnecessary obviously.

I got this case as well which seems to be a good option for cooling the Pi which runs at 54C even with the additional heatsinks I purchased.
They're fine if you dont need the extra speed. The warranty period takes care of any issues that may arise. Samsungs are great when you intend to use the full sata bandwidth.

They're fine if you dont need the extra speed. The warranty period takes care of any issues that may arise. Samsungs are great when you intend to use the full sata bandwidth.
Thanks buddy. I have been using the 250 GB 860 Evo in the Transcend M.2 to USB SSD enclosure and works okay. The SSD is bottlenecked by the USB 2.0 prot but only a RPi4 with USB 3.0 can negate that to some extent.

Today I received the Aluminium fanless enclosure I had ordered here-
20190706_174632.jpg20190706_174554.jpg

My RPi3B+ is now idling at 44C where it used to idle at 56C with 3 tiny heatsinks.

CPU+RAM stress test for 1 min maxed out at 59C where it used to hit 70C on the heatsink setup.

Last edited:
Back