Raspberry Pi

Hi guys, i am currently looking for a low cost device that can

a) Browse the net like a normal laptop
b) be able to download stuff to the internal storage/sd card(say a 20 min video in mkv
123.gif
)
c) load & watch videos (mostly non-hd stuff)
d) do minor document editing (mostly spreadsheets/word)
e) Voice (no video) chat

can a raspberry pi + tv out + cheapo kb + external HDD (with external power) do all the above?

^

a) Browse the net like a normal laptop
Yes you can. But keep in mind that your device has only 256 mb ram so you should not expect a smooth experience if you open too many tabs.

b) be able to download stuff to the internal storage/sd card(say a 20 min video in mkv
123.gif
)
Yes you can.

c) load & watch videos (mostly non-hd stuff)
Yes. HD videos will run flawlessly as it has dedicated gpu chip.

d) do minor document editing (mostly spreadsheets/word)
Yes you can.

e) Voice (no video) chat
Most probably yes.

Strange complication : I live in a PG accommodation called SRS PG Hostel. Now KitsnSpares have forwarded me a mail from their UK office. It is titled ".... Compliance check failed" and demands to know that since my address is of a hostel, which institute am I associated with. Bunch of imbeciles :annoyed: but maybe they are just doing their job.

I have replied to them..... lets see what happens.

So does this mean no Raspberry Pi if someone lives in a hostel ? Can anyone shed some light.

^ Compliance check? Why should they care where its shipped to unless its the same person ordering multiple units although even that restriction has been lifted. Just call element14 and check with them.

Talked to them, the guy said that they just wanted to make sure a genuine end user is ordering and not some institute. He said that they have cleared my case and the product will be dispatched soon.
Lets see when I get the Pi.

Element14 is selling for 2350/- does it includes power cord ? And what are the charges for casing ?

Can anybody explain, what hardware do i need to have, to run Raspberry Pi ???
BTW i have LED moniter wid no HDMI or DVI display, PS2 keyboard & USB mouse.
Will this be enough or i need to buy converter or something?

I received the Raspberry Pi today and spent some time making a case for it using Lego blocks :) There are some ready made Lego cases available for the Pi which are expensive, so I just used normal blocks from my son's play basket. Took a few iterations of make & break, in the end it turned out to be surprisingly good and the fit is perfect :yahoo:

2012-07-18 22.44.58.jpg

Back