Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

@kidrow It's biased because they are comparing an origin movie to other sequels such as TDK and Avengers. This movie is for Superman what Batman Begins was for Batman.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOS was good but I cant digest that
Yes, both are from Krypton; their strengths are matched and can kill each other. The first few minutes of the movie did show this. Superman turns out to be more stronger on Earth due to his adaptation to Earth's climate.

I think this movie is going to be one of those where opinions are going to be heavily divided. If you mean the reviews which have said the movie sucks are biased, then let me just say I tend to agree more with those reviews than the ones which say this is a Supermovie. So it's not bias, it's just opinion.

I'm actually surprised so many people have liked this enough to give it 8+ points. But then I guess if Avatar can make it to folks' best movies lists, then this can as well.

For me, this was an average movie. Would've actually been better if the 1st half was more fleshed out rather than have all of that action in the end.

PS: This comes from a guy who thought Avatar sucked, Bat Begins was great, DKR was equally good, Avengers was fun, fun, fun as far as popcorn movies go & who is a fan of the original Superman movies.

@kidrow It's biased because they are comparing an origin movie to other sequels such as TDK and Avengers. This movie is for Superman what Batman Begins was for Batman.
I kinda agree on the reviews part. People were expecting a popcorn flick like Avengers, probably because the previous Superman movies have been so. I loved the fact that he completely removed certain trademark elements -
- Superman not fighting anyone, just throwing stuff around or lifting stuff to save people
- Kryptonite
- Lex Luthor as the villain
- Goody-Goody Superman
- And yeah, Kryptonite

I probably missed a few big ones but I was quite happy. Also, lots of super punches! That is one thing which I feel has never been depicted before. Loved it. Invincible vs Invincible fights can get repetitive but it wasn't that long TBH.

Also, in one of the reviews, I read that even Superman gets a permanent job at 33, which is quite reflective of the US right now :p[DOUBLEPOST=1371541681][/DOUBLEPOST]
MOS was good but I cant digest that Kal-el ...

Spoilers dude!

Didn't you hear the freaking Sonic boom when he did that?

MOS was good but I cant digest that

Yeah, I agree. Superman usually has to do some out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to defeating foes. That was missing here. If both are equally matched, then I don't see how he prevailed simply like that!

Well, I agree that professional critics shouldn't be making comparisons while reviewing a movie. However, I disagree that Origin movies need to be treated separately.

The review should be made in the context of the genre of course. For instance, using a different parameter for a drama as opposed to a comedy is fine. But I don't think origin movies are that different to be clubbed separately from other superhero movies.

Of course, even within a genre there are going to be different treatments. For eg., Schumacher's Batman vs Nolan's. & so again, at the end of the day, the review should be of the movie as it stands alone.

I loved the fact that he completely removed certain trademark elements -

- And yeah, Kryptonite

Well, I didn't like the fact that he didn't have a weakness. If not Kryptonite, at least something else.

I think a superhero having a certain weakness makes him someone you can relate to. Making him infallible just took the human touch out of it somewhat. Also seeing how he overcomes those limitations makes for a good story. Winning by brute force does not.[/quote][DOUBLEPOST=1371550186][/DOUBLEPOST]
Man of Steel - 6.5/10
Awesome effects, but poor storyline IMO.

when Clarke surrenders to Zod, and Faora comes to take him, why does Faora asks for Lois to come along?

No answer to that except poor writing![DOUBLEPOST=1371550462][/DOUBLEPOST]
Man of steel - 6.5/10
The last fight seemed unnecessary. And the constant use of the Zimmer score even if the scene focus on Lois, Jor El or even Zod. Very poor use of the score.

The score was basically a cut-paste from the Batman trilogy imo. I was expecting at least a hint of the original by John Williams.
Sigh.... guess a re-boot means you throw everything out to Hollywood filmmakers nowadays.

when Clarke surrenders to Zod, and Faora comes to take him, why does Faora asks for Lois to come along?

Faora is instructed by Zod to bring Lois along with Superman. That's because Zod might have suspected that Superman might have revealed the location of the codex. They could then extract that information out of her, which Jax-Ur later does by probing their thoughts.

Faora is instructed by Zod to bring Lois along with Superman. That's because Zod might have suspected that Superman might have revealed the location of the codex. They could then extract that information out of her, which Jax-Ur later does by probing their thoughts.

Not really buying into that cuz even Superman's brain/mind could be read. This was just put in by the writers to have some way of having Supes escape. Would've actually been more plausible if it was Supes who insisted on getting Lois on board.

I kinda agree on the reviews part. People were expecting a popcorn flick like Avengers, probably because the previous Superman movies have been so. I loved the fact that he completely removed certain trademark elements -
- Superman not fighting anyone, just throwing stuff around or lifting stuff to save people
- Kryptonite
- Lex Luthor as the villain
- Goody-Goody Superman
- And yeah, Kryptonite
There have also been criticism due to the unnecessary length due to fights , are you saying that was also due to comparison to Avengers or TDK or old superman movies?? I mean yes the movie is not bad but even for us nerds - me and my friends who live gaming day in, day out - it was too much. By the last fight we were literally waiting for the movie to finish.

They hypocrisy of critics when it comes to reviewing Man of Steel. - http://screenrant.com/man-steel-ending-superman-kills-zod-death-discussion/

If Superman and Lois had just been witty after killing two beings, it would've been perfectly fine. Since he showed remorse at doing it, he must be flagged for death for his moral choice.

@kidrow It does matter. How many good superhero origin movies are out there? Most of them pick up in their sequel. Only Batman Begins was better in my opinion, but TDK was still far better in overall appeal. Ironman is another movie, but it was just an average one; there is only so much you can do with such a character.

Seen as a standalone movie, MoS is a great movie.

There have also been criticism due to the unnecessary length due to fights , are you saying that was also due to comparison to Avengers or TDK or old superman movies?? I mean yes the movie is not bad but even for us nerds - me and my friends who live gaming day in, day out - it was too much. By the last fight we were literally waiting for the movie to finish.

Can anyone tell me how long were the fight scenes? IIRC, it wasn't more than 10-15 mins? Anyways, I was too excited to see Superman fighting for once. :p

Not really buying into that cuz even Superman's brain/mind could be read. This was just put in by the writers to have some way of having Supes escape. Would've actually been more plausible if it was Supes who insisted on getting Lois on board.
Superman would never put Lois or anyone in harm's way. Like others speculated, it might be simply because they know that she is only one he seems close to. Which is also shown when they were standing holding hands before Zod's ship arrived.

They hypocrisy of critics when it comes to reviewing Man of Steel. - http://screenrant.com/man-steel-ending-superman-kills-zod-death-discussion/

If Superman and Lois had just been witty after killing two beings, it would've been perfectly fine. Since he showed remorse at doing it, he must be flagged for death for his moral choice.

@kidrow It does matter. How many good superhero origin movies are out there? Most of them pick up in their sequel. Only Batman Begins was better in my opinion, but TDK was still far better in overall appeal. Ironman is another movie, but it was just an average one; there is only so much you can do with such a character.

Oh man! That older Superman, with Zod, was coming on TV a while back. I was cringing with almost every scene. :|

Yup, I agree how they are after the fact that he killed someone. I didn't mind it that much. A (super)man's gotta kill once in while :p

.....It does matter. How many good superhero origin movies are out there? Most of them pick up in their sequel......

Was surprised to see that the end was such a talking point. Doesn't really matter. The fight scenes had tired me out & I just wanted the movie to end as is.

As a part of the paying audience, I just want a good movie, not particularly an origin movie. Give me a good story. If it happens to be an origin story, fine. But don't give me an origin movie for the sake of a re-boot or just to milk a franchise. I'm fine with an old wine in a new bottle so long as the wine's really good. So I don't see why the yardstick should be different.

When Lucas set out to do Star Wars, he chose the story that would make a good movie out of the lot. The prequels were simply a way of cashing in. & we all know how well that went. That just shows how Hollywood has changed for the worse. Movie trilogies are 'calculated' for in advance & the script comes later. Guess I need to get used to that & lower my expectations.

Apologies for going off tangent there. Let's just agree to disagree. You (& many others) really liked the movie. I didn't. Let's leave it at that.

We all gave the MOS varied ratings from 6-10 because some did not get what they expected, some got. Its a movie. Everyone has their own opinion. Let's just share movie ratings :D

Can anyone tell me how long were the fight scenes? IIRC, it wasn't more than 10-15 mins? Anyways, I was too excited to see Superman fighting for once. :p
More than 15 for sure and I mean not superman ones only, this is including the world machine and the plane fight. I enjoyed the first one thoroughly with the tag team like j-rpgs/tag call during MvC :D

I thought last one was a bit unnecessary. Though I think the stink being raised about the fight resolution is completely unfounded. So what was the count in Avengers someone should ask them.
When Lucas set out to do Star Wars, he chose the story that would make a good movie out of the lot. The prequels were simply a way of cashing in. & we all know how well that went. That just shows how Hollywood has changed for the worse. Movie trilogies are 'calculated' for in advance & the script comes later. Guess I need to get used to that & lower my expectations.
I guess the actual clarity on the star wars will come after JJ Abrams version. I never thought star wars story to be good though.

Back