Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

The World's End => 7.5/10 Better than Shaun of the dead and almost close to Hot Fuzz. I always knew Pegg is a great actor, but Nick Frost was a hidden gem.

Shaun of the Dead is far better than Hot Fuzz. Still got to check out The World's End.
If you think Shaun of the Dead was good then watch Juan of the dead Spanish movie but way better than Shaun i due to some reason never like British humor

The World's End => 7.5/10 Better than Shaun of the dead and almost close to Hot Fuzz. I always knew Pegg is a great actor, but Nick Frost was a hidden gem.

I recommend downloading and watching Spaced then, it's a tv show from years back with only 2 seasons. Nick Frost has been a gem since it first aired.

Watched 6 movies at the Bengaluru International Film Festival; 1 yesterday and 5 today.

A short review of all the movies:

Bekas - An Afghani film revolving around two homeless kids (brothers) who set out to America, to find Superman, who they think will end all their problems. Set during the Saddam regime, the film will keep you on your toes at all times, but the two kids maintain the movie's charm throughout with some splendid acting. The director and editor has done a great job maintaining the pace of the movie and never letting it feel stretched. The film ends on a sad-yet-happy note; it's for you to decide.

My Dog Killer - A Slovakian film that is as brutal as it is pointless, just like the life of the protagonist in the movie. The movie is shot in a faux documentary-style format, which makes it even stranger. Every character in this movie somehow affects the tragic outcome, but for me the movie appeared as a critic of the entire society's functioning. One of the most bizarre films I've ever seen.

The Fifth Season - A Belgium film that sets out to capture the inter-dependence of life and nature, and how environmental degradation can ruin everyone's life. The disappearance of bees starts the trouble, but soon other animals follow suit, while the forest and climate also react to the circumstances. There is practically no dialogue in this movie, and after watching the previous movie this felt even more bizarre. The music is excellent though; I could only recognize Bach out of the lot. Almost every situation in the movie is an allude to something bigger. Just to give an example, there are people wearing chicken masks in the latter half of the movie, and it all happens all of a sudden. Just wait till the ostriches appear!

Love and Lemons - A simple romcom Swedish film. The same old follow-your-dreams, have courage, fall in love, and out, and in again. The only take away from this movie is the lead actress' acting. Otherwise, have seen dozens of other movies similar to this.

Heli - A Mexican film that will leave you speechless. Set in the backdrop of Mexican drug culture, the main theme of this movie is how violence breeds violence. Breaking Bad fans might remember the Tortuga scene, and who can forget the twins, and to some extent Don Eladio too. This movie ups the ante one step further; it has one of the most brutal torture scenes I have ever seen. Saw many people leave the theater after watching that scene; hehe. The camera work is also excellent, though it is overshadowed by the grim story.

Young and Beautiful - A French film that tackles issues about sexuality, both amongst teenagers and adults. A 17-year-old teen loses her virginity eagerly, but doesn't seem to enjoy the experience much. However, she decides to be a high-profile prostitute, leading a double life without the knowledge of her parents or friends. Money and sex are only an afterthought for choosing such a profession, for she seeks the "thrill" of meeting strangers and interacting with them. However, her life changes completely when an unexpected situation makes things complicated. The acting and the way the director has shot sex scenes without making them appear vulgar are the highlights of this film. This is a must watch for foreign film fans.

Last edited:
Dhoom 3
0/10
Worst Amir Khan movie ever and worst Amir Khan performance! He couldn't pull it off.
There were only 15-20 people in the hall for 6 pm show! I wonder how it's breaking all the records.

Somebody's Dhoom 3 review;
Dhoom 3 is the film that has surprised me the most this year. Nothing that I had read or heard had prepared me for this. I knew this would be different from the earlier Dhoom films, but this different? It has nothing in common with the non-thinking speed-driven bikes, gals and hunks film s that the earlier two were. This is good storytelling at its best, and quite an ambitious story it is.. an epic one fact, closest in spirit to the better superhero movies that Hollywood makes, closer to something like Endhiran/Robot in term s of having heart at the core of its superficial action trapping.

The story-telling is surprisingly lean and muscular. They have cut out all the flab. Inspector’s Jay ‘s wife has been totally erased out of the scene. The temptation to use Aaliya in the action or the heist sequences have been scrupulously resisted. Ali’s comic antique’s are minimal, crisp and are never extended . Even the three songs used in the film have solid narrative context and are picturized with imagination and restraint. Right from the first frame the plot unfolds with single-minded focus. This kind of narrative integrity is rare these days.

The story itself , like the best of epic stories has allegorical and metaphorical dimensions, symmetry and epiphany. The choice of villain itself is a stroke of genius…it is a BANK. It is the BANK that Shahir wants to destroy, not a banker. It is the institution and system that’s the culprit not the in individual. Now how far can you get away from the formula plots of Bollywood or even most of Hollywood?

The villainous nature of the bank is well articulated. Iqbal the owner of the Great Indian circus wants to raise circus to a higher level, while the bankers expect a pretty girl in short skirt to shove her head into the mouth of a hippopotamus – cheap thrills in other words.

Then there is the question of dual identities and one’s domination of the other. The beautiful thing about the film is that none of these is made obvious or overplayed. At the same time, these concerns are concretized in a very real way. When Samar gets out of his box on A Sunday we share his sense of elation as he feels the wind on his face. We can feel his awkward love for Aaliya, we share his thrill in his discovery of his ability to make friends.

I had mentioned in one of my earlier pieces about how love , from Shakespeare through Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky to Sartachandra and Tagore to K Asif , Raj Kapoor and Bimal Roy, has been the trigger for and an expression of rebellion and individual assertion. It is only the love for Aaliya that makes Samar confront Shahir, wanting to get out of the former’s shadow. Converting this into a plot sequence where Samar wants to take Shahir’s place is a brilliant piece of writing. So are the sequences where aaliya kisses Samar and bids goodbye to him on the train. There is poetry in these sequences. Just as there is drama in the sequence where it is Shahir that confronts Inspector Jai instead of Samar.

The wonderful symmetry, the hallmark of all great epic stories, is manifest here in the fact that the breakthrough trick that Iqbal was unsuccessfully trying to impress the bankers with is the very trick with which Shahir-Samar avenge their father.

AS I mentioned, except for the bike chase sequences which are meant to be continuing link with the Dhoom franchise, there is not a single extraneous scene outside of the main arc of the plot. Even aaliya and her romantic track are so central to the narration unlike in the earlier Dhoom films. Her intro song is a sensual and spatial delight. The Malang song too is not only spectacular, it is also crucial in establishing the central trick as well as the feelings of Samar for Aaliya. The way the song Tu Junnon, Tu Karar takes off from the diary jottings of Samar is a pointer to the lightness and considered touch with which Vijaya Krishna handles the film. The ‘hath nahin chhodna , saath nahin chhodna’ climax could have turned ludicrous if it was not a reprise of the ladder episode involving the young Shahir and Samir.

The film’s audacious ambition does not falter mainly because of Vijya Krihna’s writing and aamir’s performance. Like he has done in Lagaan , DCH, RDB , Ghajini and 3 idiots, Aamir internalizes the characters and becomes Shahir and Samar. The confrontation scenes between Sahir and Samar and the dating scene between Samar and Aalia show Aamir at his well-defined and yet restrained best.

The crucial thing to note here is that this is nota Dhoom film at all and is not meant to be. Yes Aamnir is no Hritik or John Abraham. We always knew that, it only gets reestablished. It is not a mindless, time pass film. And Aamir is an actor and not a hunk. I have seen parts of Dhoom 1 on TV and slept trough most of Dhoom 2, which I did watch on screen. The only things I remember from that film are the Crazy Liy Re dance sequence by Ash, the wonderful moves to the title track by Hritik, and some comic caper by Uday Chopra in Spain or wherever it was supposed to be.

Here I did not lose attention even for a minute, though it was a late night shgow. I did not check my Facebook account on mu mobile even once. I was riveted from start to end. Aliya says to Shahir in the film, “ The five minutes are long over. Now you can look away’. I have been trying’, Shahir replies. It is 3.40 am now and tomorrow is a working day. But I cannot get the film out of my head..especially scenes of Samar and Jay where Samar so simplemindedly trusts Jay, exhilarated by his new-found discovery of ‘friendship’.

My respect for Aamir’s script sense has gone a couple of notches higher. This is fantastic reworking of Nolan’s material, much superior to Ghajini, where the climax depended so much on gratuitous violence. Here too they could have copped out by choosing to stage an action and chase climax. But they chose to seek a denouement based on the emotional core on which the film was founded.

Brave indeed!

Dhoom 3
0/10
Worst Amir Khan movie ever and worst Amir Khan performance! He couldn't pull it off.
There were only 15-20 people in the hall for 6 pm show! I wonder how it's breaking all the records.
It's very well known these pathetic studios inflate their collections figure to fool the public in believing that the film is good

^but how do they do that?

I don't think this can be done, may be in small amounts or with small difference, but not like saying 30-40 crores.

^but how do they do that?

I don't think this can be done, may be in small amounts or with small difference, but not like saying 30-40 crores.
don't know that but there was an article in Bombay times saying they'll stop publishing figures as these studios give inflated /fake collection figures

like films begin to claim 100cr collections even if they haven't got that much collection
Gross/Net thing, etc

Back