Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

Rush : 9.5/10 ...awesome movie...one of the best movies of 2013

Hobbit - Desolation of Smaug : 8.5/10 : one more awesome movie...loved it. But ending was too abrupt..

Finished with Dhoom-3
PoS movie. Not once they show how the robberies happen. Kya ch***** giri hai.
Bike becoming Jet ski !! Dimaag ka shot.
Good i wasted only 700 MB Bandwidth and not 100s or 1000s of ruppes in multiplex.

'The Wolf of Wall Street' will be releasing this weekend. Given it's 'R' rated status in North America, wonder how badly it would be chopped out here. Would someone please care to comment once they watch it?

Also is 'Rush' primarily targeted towards the F1 loving audience?

Was pleasantly surprised to see rush. As i don't watch f1 so was not expecting much. But the movie was so well made, ron howard pulls another winner.
9.5/10

'The Wolf of Wall Street' will be releasing this weekend. Given it's 'R' rated status in North America, wonder how badly it would be chopped out here. Would someone please care to comment once they watch it?

Also is 'Rush' primarily targeted towards the F1 loving audience?
Apparently, it holds the record for maximum number of usage of **** on-screen. Plus lots of smoking as expected in a Scorsese movie. Make up your mind ! :p

Continuing my BIFF journey, I've watched 9 additional movies over the past three days, some of which were true gems. I'll review all of them one by one below.

Chittagong
- An Indian film which tries to capture the Chittagong uprising of 1930 in a dramatic way, and succeeds in doing so to a great extent. Bedaprata Pain, the director, has given everything he's got in his first film, and the effort shows brilliantly on the screen. The surprising factor of this movie is the amazing cast. Manoj Bajpayi and Nawazuddin Siddiqui should ring bells for all Gangs of Wasseypur fans; this film was perhaps a testing ground for them. The kid actor who portrays the lead character has also done a splendid job. The music is also worth noticing, shifting swiftly between haunting melodies and uplifting tracks. While most films based on Indian revolutionaries focus on the sacrifice, and what India lost in the process, this film focuses on the positives and what India gained as a result. The fact that most of the film's story is based on true events also adds to its brilliance.

A note about the director - he is an IIT graduate, and worked with NASA as a research scientist for 15 years. He quit his job to be a film-maker. He was also part of the team that invented CMOS image sensor, used in many digital cameras today. He watched the movie along with us and stayed back for a quick Q&A session. It was nice interacting with him.

Oh Boy
- A German dramedy film set in modern day Berlin that focuses on a young man named Niko, who is clueless about what to do with his life. He has dropped out of college, no work, lost his driver's license due to driving under influence, and can't seem to find a place to drink coffee. The entire movie is shot in black&white, and in mono sound. Even though it is an experimental film, Berlin has been captured aesthetically in black&white. The smooth progression of the story is one of the best features of this movie, brilliantly portraying the predicament of the young and clueless man as he goes about finding meaning in his life; perhaps the coffee he is so desperate to find is also a hint towards that aspect. While not all the elements in the story are connected with each other, together they carry significant undertones for the lead character.

Jatta
- A Kannada film that revolves around a hard-working and knowledgeable forest guard. However, his life takes a turn when he falls victim to a right-wing lunatic, who takes advantage of the fact that his wife left her and brainwashes him to take a stance against everything "western." Born as a new man with this new ideology, his patience is put to the test when he encounters a feminist while on forest duty. The camera work is exceptional; it really pulls the audience towards the inherent depths of the forest. The lead male actor has done a splendid job, and having known a few people from the area where this movie is set in, I can attest that the character's accent and body language has been portrayed realistically. My only gripe with this movie is the female lead, who tried too hard to put up a brave face. However, kudos to the script writer to include a strong female character. Jatta is one of those rare Kannada movies that shouldn't be missed.

The Patience Stone
- A gripping Afghani film that is based on a novel of the same name, which is apparently written by the director himself. The film tells the story of a married Muslim woman in her late thirties. With two children to take care of, and a husband who has been confined to bed in a vegetable state because of a bullet injury to his neck, she struggles to manage her day-to-day affairs. Moreover, living on the front lines in a country torn apart by war doesn't help her cause much either. The lead actress performs so beautifully that you're bound to fall in love with her, just like the young soldier who happens to pass by her house. The fact that the characters in this film have no names adds immensely to the turbulent atmosphere. Left with her husband in a paralysed condition, she is able to reveal stories to him which she otherwise wouldn't be able to. Her husband becomes her Patience Stone, a mythological object that absorbs all unhappiness and sorrows. The film's ending will leave you utterly perplexed, and it will take some time for the feeling to sink in.

Other films I saw:

Blue is the Warmest Colour (French)
- If you are wondering, yes, it was uncensored.

Back to 1942 (Chinese)

Wajma - An Afghan Love Story (Afghani)

The Japanese Dog (Romanian)

Television (Bangladeshi)

Will review them later if time permits; need to sleep now.

Rush: Brilliant! Best biography based movie and overall a fantastic one I've ever seen. Comes to top 10 of all the movies I watched so far. Entertaining, yet not so overly focused, keeping a great balance of both persons professional and personal lives, loved it. 120 minutes flew like nothing. Had no idea Hemsworth had it in him, maybe the character just suited him, still, and Bruhl, hats off.
8.5/10

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/rush.php

Last edited:
Back