Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

1. With that logic we'd still be in the stone ages.
2. Not with Indian vfx, those artists are already paid way less than their counterparts plus the quality is only now becoming bearable.
3. I demanded nothing, i knew what i was getting myself into.

1. We are talking about a finished product here. Michaelangelo made a few rough sculptures which he later destroyed when he made the final David. Point: He only displayed what he felt was perfect.
2. I'm in no way blaming the individual artist. Rather it's the art director & his team etc. who should take a call on what they can pull off, given the budget, skills etc. Once that is done, you should nail it.
3. I wasn't saying that you personally asked for something more from Krish 3. I was referring to what is generally expected.[DOUBLEPOST=1384180207][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, thats why they spent crores on Avatar. Idiots, right ?

They had a budget, & decided that they can go all out. Don't think they would have attempted something as grandiose otherwise.

My point is simply that when given a budget, an inventive art director etc. can still think out of the box & put out something admirable.

Grown Ups 2 => 7.5/10 I actually enjoyed this one, much better than the 1st movie.
The Wolverine => 7/10 Expected a little more, still the x-men : origin seems better movie.
Man of Steel => 6.5/10 The best thing was Hans Zimmer's music. The movie felt like a 2:15 hrs long trailer, some times like a PC game (especially bullet storm like cinematics)

But still it's really unfair to expect Hollywood quality cgi at a fraction of the budget. It took em 30 years to get from the first Star wars to the Matrix. It's been only 20 years since Haatim Tai, we'll get our own matrix in 10 years :p

Sorry to be harping about this. I promise it'll be the last.

Ok, I get that you are of the opinion that these guys should be given some slack. Question is for how long? Also, even if you can't really expect Hollywood standards, shouldn't an informed audience always be using the best as a standard for comparison?
It is only when the audiences start demanding for more that we'll see an improvement. Take Bollywood actors' physiques these days. The audience expects/demands to see a chiseled physique. Anything less will not cut it.
Now with CGI, it's only a handful of people in India who are exposed to Hollywood CGI. & so there's less pressure to deliver & consequently the makers can get away with sub-par work. When that is no longer true, those artists who can deliver the quality will start getting paid what they deserve. Right now they are treated like dirt because every fairly computer literate person can deliver the quality required.
All the more reason for those in the know to be more critical.

As to whether we'll get our own Matrix, only time will tell. There will be immense development when it comes to the technicalities. But there's more to this than just that.
As an example, Krish is a superhero with a raincoat. What does this serve except hide Hrithik's excellent physique? It would be considered a master stroke if your hero was a motya potya madrasi star from yester years. But you'd want to design a suit that would show Hrithik off.
Also the mutant with the long tongue. Make that tongue green, make it dirty with warts, spores etc. Have it forked at the end. Anything that makes the audience go yuck. Don't have a pink human tongue sticking out as if it's a dog who's panting.
So there are design decisions which can make or break an illusion. & I would at the very least expect that the design choices made in Bollywood be valid, if not the execution.
There's also this desire to "show off" CG in Hindi movies atm where all the vfx shots are deliberately slowed down. Contrast this with Hollywood where, for the most part the action happens too fast for you to realize that there's CG at play.

As for the budget, there are numerous independent shorts on youtube which show how quality vfx work can be done even on tight budgets. So it can be done.

Again, apologies to all members. Didn't mean to digress but couldn't resist. I promise I won't say any more.

@kidrow - Hey what are you apologizing for, this is an open forum for discussion and there's nothing wrong in expecting the best but there lies your problem. I saw this with zero expectations and i found it to be ok, yes there is a lack of creativity but for Indian standards it's pretty decent. I work in a gaming company and I've seen the artists struggle on the digital front even though their illustrations on paper are top notch, this is common for a lot of Indian artists. We have been spoiled by AAA games and big budget movies and kinda take it for granted that it must be a piece of cake to make these.
But like you said as long as movies like Chennai Express attract the masses and make 300 crores our voices won't be heard so sit back and watch these movies for lulz.

Coming back on topic
Red 2 - 4/10 Didn't think it warranted a sequel in the first place.

Thor 2: 7/10.
Would have enjoyed more but the 3D is terrible and dark. Nowhere close to Gravity's 3D (which was bright and clean; only comparing 3D, not the stories or genres, though I'll pick up Gravity over Thor any day !)

Thor 2: 7/10.
Would have enjoyed more but the 3D is terrible and dark. Nowhere close to Gravity's 3D (which was bright and clean; only comparing 3D, not the stories or genres, though I'll pick up Gravity over Thor any day !)

Gravity is a class apart. It doesn't get any more 'real' than that.

I knew Thor would have dark backgrounds in most of the movie so I watched plain old 2D and I enjoyed it way more than I expected to.

Good vfx does not need a lot of money. Look at Moon or Europa Report or District 9. All of them were made on shoestring budgets but nailed the vfx perfectly. Indian artists are perfectly capable of doing good work - look at madagascar 3 or puss in boots or rise of the guardians. Significant portions of all of them was done in India and look just as good as the rest of the film done abroad. Hell look at sunshine which had all its vfx done in India - it was spectacular.

In contrast krish 3 is a piece of crap that deserves to be laughed at. The trailer itself which is supposed to attract audience pissed me off completely.

Elysium - 6/10 Had higher expectations.
Prisoners - 8/10 I really like slow atmospheric dramas and this one was just that, not a single bad actor in this one.

Back