Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

Doctor Strange : 7/10

Just went for Benedict. Didn't even watched the trailer before. And he didn't disappoint.

Story-wise it's so-so. Just some here and there. Nothing much that somebody will talk about after coming out of the theatre.
Visuals are awesome though - modifying space at will and running on a constantly changing world.
Witty dialogues - just right amount of it IMO.

Overall a nice movie and recommended for Sherlock fans.

And some time wasters:
Finding Dory : 4/10 : Pixar's worst movie I think.
Secret Life of Pets : 6/10 : wannabe Toy story !!
Mechanic 2 : 2/10
Legend of Tarzan : 2/10

Doctor Strange --- 6/10

This movie's rating in the media actually shows what has happened to movies today. This year is full of shitty movies BvS, Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, Central Intelligence etc to name a few. So when a movie like Jason Bourne end up with "mixed" reviews and a mediocre one like this end up with "positive" reaction. People are now starving for things which are not bad.

+ Visuals and thats it.
Acting is okayish. Cumberbatch's performance is more like him playing the character instead of being one with it. Rachel McAdams hardly gets any screen time. Others are also by the numbers
- Comedy - Yes there are some good lines and scenes like the "Mister Doctor" thing but at other moments they just fall flat. One particular instance is built up just for a singular payoff
- The "Sequel" setup - That is my biggest gripe. It comes out of the left field:
There is actually no need to setup anything for a sequel since this is part of Marvel universe and all of the movies till date have told stories of the 6 infinity stones (Eye of Agamotto) is the infinity stone of time.

In the actual comics, Mads mikkelson's character is a minor villain. Mordo is the main villain in doctor strange after dormammu of course. Agree with you that the Mordo sequence didn't make a lot of sense.

Overall though, i really enjoyed the movie. After all the mediocre movies i have seen this year, this was really enjoyable and really funny. The comedy part of the movie was not forced and felt very natural (loved that Rachel McAdams scene in the hospital store room. Would have a been really hilarious shooting to get that amazing reaction from her). I will rate it a solid 9. And IMAX 3D was incredible.

Other movies i have watched recently:
The Accountant - 6/10 - A good action flick. Eerily similar to John Wick for me.
Jack Reacher - 4/10. Disappointing.

There is actually no need to setup anything for a sequel since this is part of Marvel universe and all of the movies till date have told stories of the 6 infinity stones (Eye of Agamotto) is the infinity stone of time.
I am not talking about the MCU setup leading to Infinity Wars, rather Doctor Strange 2 setup in the end-credit scene. Given that you agree that the sequence leading up to the scene dint make sense, so I rest my case :)

Last edited:
I am not talking about the MCU setup leading to Infinity Wars, rather Doctor Strange 2 setup in the end-credit scene. Given that you agree that the sequence leading up to the scene dint make sense, so I rest my case :)
Of-course they are going to setup for sequels. Sequels and reboots are becoming the norm nowadays, good way to make money. Eg: John Wick was decent, so they are making a part 2, Resident Evil and Underworld died some time back but you still see sequels for that(I must confess, i am going to watch Underworld 5, Kate in that outfit is hard to pass up on :)), XXX part 3 - Trailer looks idiotic, FF 8( enough of this already), reboots for The Mummy(Tom Cruise OMG) and Van Helsing etc.. Just hope they don't reboot the really good ones like LOTR.

Suicide Squad - 5/10
Watched with very low expectations. Started out well but later fizzled out as the plot was just for the heck of it. Will Smith (surprisingly) and Margot (biggest reason to watch) were good but did not like Leto's Joker.

Independence Day resurgence - 4/10
Still have such fond memories of the original. One of my first hollywood movies on big screen. Went with my school friends, was mesmerized by the visuals, had so much fun cheering and shouting.
This sequel attaches such a bad memory with those, I'll just pretend they never made this.

The Nice guys - 7/10

Buddy crime movie set in 70s. Had fun watching this. The atmosphere and the feel was terrific. So was Ryan Gosling.

La La Land 9/10

Saw it in Imax, its a gorgeous film, the plot itself is a standard love story, but told exceedingly well with fun song and dance sequences, the chemistry between Gosling and Stone is insane, and it never gets too saccharine and actually relies on showing the relationship rather than just telling us about it. Very 500 days of summer like. Extremely recommended.

Last edited:
The Magnificent Seven - 2016.

I saw the original back in the 80's, and was blown away. It had an all round cast of Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and Robert Vaughn, not to forget Eli Walach. What more could one want..! Now, when I heard the rumor-mills about a re-do, I groaned inside. They would ruin it. Then came the trailers.

Finally go to see the movie. 9/10

This version is dark and serious. There are some stanzas of humor, but hardly related to the original. A lot of the original character nuances have been retrieved from the past, but it stops there. The story has been built from the old framework, but then developed ground-up. Action is serious and the background score is done really really well. After a long time, a movie with a good score, which speaks what the actors are actually doing. A true compliment. Grit, spurs, and chrome laden revolvers - with fast horses, makes this a great western in an era when the former is bygone. Well done. Special comment: Ethan Hawk. Wow..!

I saw the original back in the 80's, and was blown away. It had an all round cast of Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and Robert Vaughn, not to forget Eli Walach. What more could one want..! Now, when I heard the rumor-mills about a re-do, I groaned inside. They would ruin it. Then came the trailers.

This version is dark and serious. There are some stanzas of humor, but hardly related to the original. A lot of the original character nuances have been retrieved from the past, but it stops there. The story has been built from the old framework, but then developed ground-up. Action is serious and the background score is done really really well. After a long time, a movie with a good score, which speaks what the actors are actually doing. A true compliment. Grit, spurs, and chrome laden revolvers - with fast horses, makes this a great western in an era when the former is bygone. Well done. Special comment: Ethan Hawk. Wow..!
Is the story very similar ? I loved the original so gave this one a miss.

Last edited:

And you dint see or miss - China Gate of the Chamma Chamma fame while seeing this ;)

Jokes aside, it was not until I really got into watching Westerns that I have realized how many of our yester-year hindi movies owe to them. Sholay the most famous hindi movie of all time it like 2 Samurias or The Magnificent Two really.

And you dint see or miss - China Gate of the Chamma Chamma fame while seeing this ;)

Jokes aside, it was not until I really got into watching Westerns that I have realized how many of our yester-year hindi movies owe to them. Sholay the most famous hindi movie of all time it like 2 Samurias or The Magnificent Two really.

Well Miss Mamta Kulkarni was hard to miss during that era..!

Yes, a lot of Hindi movies were true rip-off, of Westerns. See For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars. Gabbar Singh, was quite close to the villain of those.

Back