OC & Modding Rebuilding an old and mostly problematic TVS Gold Keyboard

great posts. I'll have to give a try at cleaning my TVS gold. Any idea/tips on how to troubleshoot defective keys on a membrane keyboard?

Any idea/tips on how to troubleshoot defective keys on a membrane keyboard?
Membrane keyboards work on the principle of having two circuits on membranes and the keys when pressed cause a short circuit and hence register a key press. The circuits are intricate and if there is a failure, it is near impossible to repair it/absolutely not worth the effort. Open they keyboard, clean it and put it back together. If keys still dont work, junk it.

Membrane keyboards work on the principle of having two circuits on membranes and the keys when pressed cause a short circuit and hence register a key press. The circuits are intricate and if there is a failure, it is near impossible to repair it/absolutely not worth the effort. Open they keyboard, clean it and put it back together. If keys still dont work, junk it.
Thanks Sunny. I'll try that. Do you use key cap puller to remove the caps from the TVS gold KB?

I just bought a couple keyboards from a fellow member. TVS (cherry blue) and HCL (cherry black) ones which are aforementioned here. These would be my first ever mech keyboards.
I also want to clean them up real good and lube the keys since the HCL ones seems to be scratchy and grindy. Although both are dust free mostly.

I couldn't find any proper lube here in India so I read this thread from start to end and I really appreciate the information here, gave me an idea how to so it. I'm not gonna desolder the keys because they aren't that dirty. Keys actually themselves seem to be clean. I found your silicone lube idea good. So I got this today, hopefully it's gonna get delivered same day.

Can you confirm it's the same thing and won't be an issue?
Also to clean up the previous gunk (on the TVS, old lube and stuck dirt on it) can I soak the PCB in IPA and dry it? Or shall I clean with Q-tips soaked in IPA?

Thanks!

On my TVS gold keyboard, the "E" key hasn't been registering properly of late. I noticed it while playing league and spells bound to E did not cast. So I removed all the caps, cleaned and re attached it. I checked in an excel sheet and out of 100 presses of E around 72~92 registered if I press it fast and 98 done slowly. In comparison, the A key registered 100 out of 100. I removed cap for E and directly pressed the switch and 95 out of 100 registered. Any idea what could be done to fix it?

On my TVS gold keyboard, the "E" key hasn't been registering properly of late. I noticed it while playing league and spells bound to E did not cast. So I removed all the caps, cleaned and re attached it. I checked in an excel sheet and out of 100 presses of E around 72~92 registered if I press it fast and 98 done slowly. In comparison, the A key registered 100 out of 100. I removed cap for E and directly pressed the switch and 95 out of 100 registered. Any idea what could be done to fix it?
The switch most likely has gone bad. The solution would be to desolder and replace the switch.

If you cannot find a replacement switch, swap switches with a lesser used key such as pause break,scroll lock etc.

Its not possible to get replacements, your only hope is to find someone similar who has taken apart their keyboard and have some as spare
I have the same issue. I'm very new to keyboards, could I remove the old spacebar stabilizer and use this instead? (the spacebar is 7U as op mentioned)

I actually tried taking my tvs gold apart and trying to make it sound better and to do a through cleaning but i took off the keycaps in 2019 and had zero dedication to finish the build. But this diwali i wanted a new keyboard and my mom told me that she had kept my old keyboard and keycaps but unfortunately for the space key one of the white hooks you use to attach the stabilizer to is not there and i cant use the spacebar without it. Did you find any parts that you had to replace, If yes could you tell me where i cant buy replacement hooks. Thank you so much
would this 7U work?

Back