Recommend a 7" Tablet for a tight budget

kenkanya

Disciple
Hi folks,
Request you to recommend a tablet with the following requirements keeping in mind.

1. Tight budget
2. 7" inch only
3. Occasional small games.
4. Heavy video usage.
5. Moderate browsing.
6. To access through OTG (for 3g data card)
7. Not require voice calling.
8. Not require camera.
9. Good screen resolution.
10. Use of pendrive (with OTG)
11. Will not be installing any apps.
12. The last - reasonable A.S.Service. (for the price i will not expect hifi customer service)

I have no idea if Nexus 7 supports OTG (through rooting or custom ROM) or not but I would say go for 2012 Nexus 7. I own one and my primary purpose of only watching videos. I do that daily with my tablet while commuting. I do use for browsing sometimes.
If you want 3G then go for the 3G version of the tablet.

i second raksrules suggestion.
moreover, i have seen asus fonepad 7 being recommended across forums.
another option is nook hd. fits all your requirements (not sure about the 3g dongle part; i suppose it could be used. checking the tab's pages at xda forums will help), and can be had for 8-9k from ebay.

edit: corrected the price.

Last edited:
The trouble is the nexus 7 2012 is no longer officially sold. So finding a new piece at a decent price is tough.

I can vouch for Asus Fonepad 7 which has inbuilt phone feature etc, so you can pop in a 3g sim and get on to the internet. Good value for money.

i second raksrules suggestion.
moreover, i have seen asus fonepad 7 being recommended across forums.
another option is nook hd. fits all your requirements (not sure about the 3g dongle part; i suppose it could be used. checking the tab's pages at xda forums will help), and can be had for 6-7k from ebay.
The 10 inch Nook HD is available for 6-7k?
Or did you refer to the Nook Color tab?

Thanks folks for all your inputs. But i understand nexus 7 (2012) does not support OTG unless you root it. Primarily i would need to watch videos from OTG and/or also browse. I am not looking for call-voice facility.
Let me check asus fonepad 7. Nook HD (7") supports OTG?
Do recommend in the price range you mentioned 6-7K. I was thinking of indian stuff Micromax or iball etc.But iam worried about the A.S.S. I cannot take it to (read - senior citizen) service center often to get the work done.

Nook HD doesn't support OTG out-of-the-box if am not wrong. but you may confirm it by writing to Barnes & Noble, whether the latest update has enabled it. if not, you will have to then root it (and probably use a custom ROM) to use the feature. so i suggest you to drop it as an option. moreover, its price is now increased to 8k+ on ebay, which i just saw. 2-4 months back it was for 6-7k when my friend had purchased it. also, the company doesn't have an official presence and a service centre in India. one would have to send the tab to the seller only to get a replacement in case of a fault, though that would be far less probable to occur than in the Indian tabs.

Asus Fonepad 7 and Dell Venue 7 have OTG support OOTB. carry Indian warranty too. but price can be a limiting factor. you probably want to gift it to a senior citizen, else would've recommended to buy it from the forums.[DOUBLEPOST=1421065402][/DOUBLEPOST]
The 10 inch Nook HD is available for 6-7k?
Or did you refer to the Nook Color tab?

sorry, not for 6-7k anymore (that is, unless you have a hefty discount-coupon :) )....that was an older price, which i quoted without verifying. the new price is 8k+.

Thanks again. I will rule of out NOOK.
The primary reason - it will be used by senior citizen. And it is near impossible for them to go through the A.S.S.
Also if a OTG support is available, they can just plug in dongle (or pen drive), browse/access videos. Updating SD Card or anyother card for them will be not easy. So i prefer a pen drive.
Or if you folks have any other alternative, let me know.
I will look into fonepad (http://www.flipkart.com/asus-fonepa...1,,,c,,,,,,,&gclid=CMXZ97SWkMMCFVcWjgodsooAnw is this what you refer? ) or DEll venue 7. But i see DELL Venue 7 is 2GB RAM (do i really need 2GB RAM) and pricing around 10K. Which is beyond the tight budget.
Any thing on lenovo brands?
I would be buying one this week. (Iam even open to grey market - for the reason of tight budget)

For a senior citizen, i would say don't go for those dongle 3G things. Better buy something that accepts SIM card. It will be less fuzzy for them. Just show them how to turn off and on data as per need to avoid background data sapping up your MBs.
For USB access of files, i would say, buy them those USB pen drives with other end being MicroUSB, that will be good for them so they don't have to fiddle with a OTG cable and all.
You may need to invest more than you may have thought but then you would have at the end bought a combination which works better for them.

I have no idea if Nexus 7 supports OTG (through rooting or custom ROM) or not but I would say go for 2012 Nexus 7. I own one and my primary purpose of only watching videos. I do that daily with my tablet while commuting. I do use for browsing sometimes.
If you want 3G then go for the 3G version of the tablet.

Using the Nexus7 (2012) for the last year and been completely satisfied. Like Raks, primarily use it for shows and movies.

I have managed to connect a pen-drive to the Nexus 7 via OTG (without rooting) seamlessly. What I did was bought and installed the 'Nexus Media Importer' from Play Store and that nifty app detects my pen-drives through an OTG cable without any problems. Think the app comes in at about 250 bucks.

Using the Nexus7 (2012) for the last year and been completely satisfied. Like Raks, primarily use it for shows and movies.

I have managed to connect a pen-drive to the Nexus 7 via OTG (without rooting) seamlessly. What I did was bought and installed the 'Nexus Media Importer' from Play Store and that nifty app detects my pen-drives through an OTG cable without any problems. Think the app comes in at about 250 bucks.

Doing the exact same thing. The App is must better than the hassle of Rooting and all.

@Black_Hawk, @xtremevicky.
Thanks. Yes, through nexus media importer upto how much size (pen drive) does the OTG support? One issue is solved for me.
What about browsing? Through OTG can you use the dongle - for browsing?
If so, then i can shortlist nexus 7 (2012) in the list. But i think it's not available online. Is it available through retail.

Wow. I totally did not know this. How much does this app cost ? My Nexus is rooted but I still won't do any complex things to enable OTG if it is required.
Although I have no use of OTG now since my nexus 7 has less apps and more videos and delete stuff I have watched.

Does the Nexus media importer work 2 ways ? As in, can I copy stuff from nexus 7 to the attached USB pen drive etc ?

I have a 500 gb HDD. It detects that.

I have not tried the dongle but it can be done but again for that you need to Root.

Not sure about availability.

Wow. I totally did not know this. How much does this app cost ? My Nexus is rooted but I still won't do any complex things to enable OTG if it is required.
Although I have no use of OTG now since my nexus 7 has less apps and more videos and delete stuff I have watched.

Does the Nexus media importer work 2 ways ? As in, can I copy stuff from nexus 7 to the attached USB pen drive etc ?

I think it will work both ways, copying to and from data that is. I personally have not tried copying any files from a pen-drive to the Nexus 7 but will try it once and report back here.

I keep my Nexus 7 very light as well, just the apps on it I strictly need and nothing more. That way I keep the entire pen-drive connecting hassle away, copying everything I need to watch on the available storage space on the Nexus 7 itself.

The Nexus Media Importer is available for Rs.245/- from the Play Store, here's the link Raks:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en

(I tried the *ahem* version of it a couple of times and both times it did not work, failed to detect my pen-drives. The paid version worked like a charm from the get go!).

Also, in the case of a HDD connection, I think the one's which require external power sources won't work on the Nexus 7.

Back