Recommend a 7" Tablet for a tight budget

After rooting, you can get dongle support. But not all dongles will be recognised.

There is an app called PPP something. I dont remember the exact name. After rooting, if your dongle is recognized by this app, you can input the APN and start browsing. But it has a timeout somewhere. After sometime the dongle disconnects of internet is not being used.

I set this up for a friend. Later he bought a router which supports dongles and now he is much happier [emoji14]

Attaching dongle will be messy affair. May be get a battery power (inbuilt battery) router that supports SIM card or dongles.
Also OP best option would be a tablet which accepts SIM card. You don't want a senior citizen to mess around with multiple things. The more simple is the implementation, the more they will love it. Else they will resist it.
That is the reason I gave my dad iphone as his first smartphone / touchscreen phone as it is very simple for him to operate and all.

I have a nexus 7 2012 too. And I use cm11 currently on it. Works like a charm and has inbuilt full support for usb OTG in the kernel. So just plug and play...works perfect. Just connect the pendrive and go into the file explorer.

Thanks all again.
I understand i do not get a decent (read happier A.S.S. or reliability) tab in a tight budget. Iam now looking into the DELL Venue 7 range or (lenovo/Asus fonepad).(11-12k range) Do let me know based on my requirements. This will be used by senior citizen.
Ok, if it does not support a OTG HDD (1 TB), i shall use through the pen drive. (probably a 16 or 32gb). For browsing i shall use the sim card option in the tab. (only DATA, no VOICE needed). They have no idea about copying files to/fro when using pen drives. Some assistance needed everytime files need to be copied on to pen drive. Anyway as there is "no" (or should i say "limited") option, i have to use pen drive.
Recommendation welcome.
Edit: What about lenovo brands? I see model A7-30 (old jelly bean version or latest kitkat) (I also see it has FM radio. This is a boon. Does anyone have any info on this?) that supports OTG with dongle as well as pen drive. Do recommend some models.

Last edited:
Back