Storage Solutions Recommend a good Internal Hard Disk Drive

DigitalDude

Skilled
I have a couple of internal HDDs just for general storage and downloads. A Seagate Barracuda and a WD Blue both are 4TB each. Looking to consolidate into a single 8TB or 16TB drive. Used to have WD Blacks but now their role is being fulfilled by the SSDs. (For OS and apps I have SSDs)

I don't think I have to put to much thought into this as I have half a dozen external drives and take backup periodically but still want to know a few things.

- what brand drive do you recommend and why?
- are the WD Blacks still relevant?
- does a long warranty matter?
- how about a basic RAID 1? would that help reliability? recommended for a basic storage drive?

- what brand drive do you recommend and why?
WD/ST/Hitachi all 3 serving great to me. I will even count Toshiba in the list.
WD externals are great compared to others.
- are the WD Blacks still relevant?
Cant say as the blacks which were introduced a decade ago and the current ones have a huge quality hence durability issues.. Same for Red!
- does a long warranty matter?
Yes/NO Most typical drives carry 3 yr warranty while REd/Black carry 5! But if black fails frequently then even a 10yr warranty is a headache + the data loss so..you know..
- how about a basic RAID 1? would that help reliability? recommended for a basic storage drive?
KInda of but what if one fine bad day both the drives fail? The comes into play Raid 5 which got parity.

Back