Recommend a laptop with a good FHD display.

I am really blown away by the mbp but since osx is useless for me, never considered a macbook.

i am now thinking of buying a laptop. currently i am having a dell laptop with wled hd screen.

does full hd vs hd screen have a visible naked difference and if so, are these comparable to mbps.

Also which company would you recommend for buying a full hd screen.

If you want a good PC laptop screen, it was from dell XPS 16 (Unfortunately discontinued)
And the recent xps 15 with Fullhd is worth every Paise spent...

It is a really good screen, great color gamut and contrast ratio with great brightness...and the resolution difference makes your full HD videos , photos pop up..
But do not watch low res (Even DVD quality movie in it, Looks really pixellated).

It does make a differance, my friend has an old Dell 17 incher lappie. and it is wow. Though quite old, and mostly is a TN panel.

Both the sony vaio and dell XPS Full HD screens are much better than the normal HD(720P) screens which are bundled with most of the laptops.

but we can install windows even on macbook pro.

Even i am smitten by macbook pro 13 inch.

any comparable laptop with excellent screen?

Laptops with Full HD in india : ( 15"+ )

Dell :

XPS 15 with B+RGLED 1080p display ~66k with 1 year CC warranty

XPS 15z with 1080p display - 70.8k with 3 years CC warranty

Sony :

Vaio CB15/CB35 with Core i5/i7 for ~55/69k . Read reviews on TE itself.

** NEW ** Vaio SE17GG ~ 80k - Have not seen the unit yet.

LG :

A520/A530 - 15.5" with 2D / 3D screen . Yet to see this on display, or read a review ....

I have the XPS 15z. IMO, Dell has made a killer with this model, except for slight niggles with the keyboard backlight and display. ( see : [POLL] XPS 15z 1080p Screen Issues ? ) . However, that being said, this is an excellent laptop .

tarunactivity said:
Laptops with Full HD in india : ( 15"+ )

Dell :

XPS 15 with B+RGLED 1080p display ~66k with 1 year CC warranty

XPS 15z with 1080p display - 70.8k with 3 years CC warranty

Sony :

Vaio CB15/CB35 with Core i5/i7 for ~55/69k . Read reviews on TE itself.

** NEW ** Vaio SE17GG ~ 80k - Have not seen the unit yet.

LG :

A520/A530 - 15.5" with 2D / 3D screen . Yet to see this on display, or read a review ....

I have the XPS 15z. IMO, Dell has made a killer with this model, except for slight niggles with the keyboard backlight and display. ( see : [POLL] XPS 15z 1080p Screen Issues ? ) . However, that being said, this is an excellent laptop .

Those are some really good options.. I am also looking for Full HD lappies with possibly i7 and blu ray drive.. But the CD35 seems to be a good deal with Full HD screen, i5, backlit keyboard etc.. And its more than 10 grands cheaper than XPS 15...

I have a somewhat similar question - are there any laptops with IPS or VA 15+" screens under Rs. 1.5 lakhs? They all seem to be TN panel, albeit some are pretty good.

Laptops with Full HD in india : ( 15"+ ) Dell : XPS 15 with B+RGLED 1080p display ~66k with 1 year CC warranty XPS 15z with 1080p display - 70.8k with 3 years CC warranty Sony : Vaio CB15/CB35 with Core i5/i7 for ~55/69k . Read reviews on TE itself. ** NEW ** Vaio SE17GG ~ 80k - Have not seen the unit yet. LG : A520/A530 - 15.5" with 2D / 3D screen . Yet to see this on display, or read a review .

Adding ASUS / Toshiba / MSI options

ASUS N53SN - http://in.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N53SN/#specifications

Toshiba F750 - https://www.toshiba-india.com/laptop/qosmio-f750.html

MSI FX620DX - http://www.msi.com/product/nb/FX620DX.html

I have a somewhat similar question - are there any laptops with IPS or VA 15+" screens under Rs. 1.5 lakhs? They all seem to be TN panel, albeit some are pretty good.

I guess options are limited to HP Envy (not sure if its available in India) Dell Precision ( around 2 lacs) and the Lenovo X220 (Not sure about pricing , was told that Lenovo India charges in USD for this one but should be under 1 lac)

The x220 with its IPS screen is according to some reviews online - the is the laptop with one of the best ips paneled displays currently and indeed any other display. The other laptop you can consider is the 15 inch behemoth Thinkpad W520 which comes with a full hd(1080p) ips display and is a uber powerful workstation. prices hover around the 1500-2000us$ mark.

X220 with IPS is great, but I am looking for something >15 inch. Ideal would HP Elitebook w/ Dreamcolor - it's the only 10-bit display (+AFRC = 12 bit!) out there and nothing else comes close - but it's out of budget. W520 doesn't have the IPS option anymore (temporarily hopefully) although their TN panel is RGBLED 8-bit (all others are 6-bit) and the best as far as TN panels go. Anyway it is unavailable in India. The only option I have found so far is Dell M4600, for which I have been quoted Rs. 1.6 lakh by Dell for 2.4 GHz QC, 8-bit 1080p IPS panel, Quadro 2000M. A pretty good deal, except this only costs $2300 in the US!

@Sub

You can look at the Sony Vaio F217HG. Its a 16 inch model but comes with OCB LCD panel from Toshiba which is basically even superior to IPS screens in terms of viewing angles and colors. It goes toe to toe with even the HP DC2 Elitebook IPS screen for the title of the best notebook screen ever. Priced at 1,04,900.

But I am not sure if it will be easily available. As the replacement model F237HG with i7 2860QM is due.

Back