Recommendations for a single centrally-located WiFi router/access point for a 2BHK flat/apartment?

rsaeon

Patron
This is out of my area of experience, so I'm hoping to get some purchasing advice.

I need to find a WiFi access point or router for a relative which will plug into a wired ethernet connection for Internet. No firewall, no QOS, no USB port is needed.

They're expecting 100mbps to upto two simultaneously connected devices (five in total), but that sounds unrealistic through concrete walls.

Budget is around 3k to 4k, unless if there's a compelling reason to go higher. No mesh, no multiple devices. Just a good old fashioned high power wireless device.

Thank you.

Ha!

At home, I've employed the 'small pools of wifi' approach — every room has a 1k or cheaper 300mbps wifi access point or router working as an access point, with the transmit power set to low. They're wired back to a main switch by going around the outer walls. All of them have the same SSID and password so someone just needs to toggle wifi whenever they go to a different room. It works well, no complaints in the last five years or so.

But I've never needed a single high power access point like this before so I'm lost here.

Give Up Reaction GIF

I would love the LR for myself but in this case it has to be something that needs to be administered easily by my relative. I wouldn't be involved in setting up the SSID or password, and they're used to typing in 192.x in the browser and setting up their WiFi that way.

The Unifi looks like it needs a controller or an app, which is beyond what my 82 year uncle has patience for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation, but they're looking for a single device that doesn't need an app or hardware/software controller.

At home, I've employed the 'small pools of wifi' approach — every room has a 1k or cheaper 300mbps wifi access point or router working as an access point, with the transmit power set to low.

Bring one access point from your home to your relative's place, and then test it with the transmitting power set to high. It will give you an idea of the Wi-Fi penetration levels for each room.

I have a TP Link Archer C2300. Serves a 3BHK well, even thru walls.

Using it as an AP with the semi-useless Airtel Modem-Router (ZTE S#1t) combo that loses signal strength as soon as some heavy file transfer takes place.

It is a pretty strong one and also got a very good review from Tom's back in the day. Was costlier tho!

mesh doesnt need config
it auto configures.

When I say configurable I mean three things:
  1. change mode to wireless access point
  2. rename wifi ssid
  3. set wifi password
These three tasks need to be done in the browser.

No app, no mesh. Mesh = multiple devices = do not want.

Won't your uncle be willing to install the TPLink Deco app just for one time setup to AP mode then uninstall it and forget about it?

Something like the TPLink Deco X60 might be good.

When I say configurable I mean three things:
  1. change mode to wireless access point
  2. rename wifi ssid
  3. set wifi password
These three tasks need to be done in the browser.

No app, no mesh. Mesh = multiple devices = do not want.
then there is no guarantee of coverage my friend.

all tasks can be done in router

since @rsaeon its your post my answer would be following ,you are apt in building things

First of all you haven't mentioned which router your relative is using /its capabilities. The major problem over here is signal strength and it could be over come by High gain antennae.

You can build them

or you can purchase hi gain dipole omnidirectional antennae from indiamart or some local sites.

Which leads to the question how much gain the antennae should have ? To do that you will require a wifi predictive tool and of course the house plan . You fillup the tool with the types of wall /window etc and notify the gain of the antennae of your router and its position. The tool will generate the heatmap and you will know the coverage and give you an idea of placing the the router some tools can also provide what speed will be received if there is an end user.

NetSpot and TamoGraph Site Survey are tools which provide demo / trial versions to achieve this.

ASUS (HP series) may be tp-link too has s out of the BOX router which have high gain antennae's .But you go to this stage if you have a very basic N series of router . i think AC series router with 1800 mbps rated or higher rated router with High gain antennae should do the trick along with router positioning and of course your end devices too should be capable to do the high speed wifi communication.

My recommendation is get your antennae and positioning of the router correct or if you make or get third party antennae get this type of antennae and place them strategically

1706358998239.png

Do note that the longer length of cable from antennae to the routers RP-SMA connector the signal drop will also increase .Similar to water pressure in horizontal laid pipe more no. of connector and length it results in loss of pressure.

Last edited:
Back