[Recommendations] Metal/Rock [All sub genres]

quixand

Skilled
So that we can discuss, recommend and explore new music, and if you find that band which you haven't given a listen to, do so -

My first post is not a Wikipedia listing or Encyclopedia Metallum, it is music which I am recommending to you :)

Of course at the time of writing you can miss some very obvious ones :)

- I was going to post it in Random IEM Rants Thread against a post which I liked but then thought that it probably needs it's own thread. Here Goes -

Please don't be too judgemental about the classification/genres, idea is to get more awareness about good Metal/Rock music.

Thanks, for all YOUR recommendations \m/

=====================================================================================================================================

Heavy/Thrash

Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest (updated)

Hair/Glam Metal - Van Halen, Motley Crue, W.A.S.P. , Scorpions, Ratt, Guns 'N Roses

Thrash/Crossover - 80s BIG four, Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Pantera, Suicidal Tendencies | Recent Spins - The Sword, Heathen, Living Sacrifice, Lazarus AD, Municipal Waste, Skeletonwitch.

Progressive

Prog/Alternative Rock/Metal - Pink Floyd, Rush, ORBS, Tool, Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Mastodon, Baroness, Protest The Hero, Opeth, Katatonia, Dream Theater.

Math/Proj/Djent Metal - Meshuggah, Sikth, Textures, Cilice, Cloudkicker, Architects, Tesseract, Periphery, Animals as Leaders.

Post Prog/Metal/Hardcore/Metalcore - The Dillinger Escape Plan, Glassjaw, Between The Buried and Me, Intronaut, Underoath, August Burns Red.

Hardcore Punk/ Modern Ska Punk - Propagandhi, Rise Against, Rx Bandits

Alternative R/M-

Grunge/Post Grunge - Pixies, Black Flag, Mudhoney, Alice in Chains (both w/ and w/o Layne), Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Creed, Alter Bridge, Puddle of Mudd, NickelBack.

Alternative Rock/Metal - RHCP, RATM, Deftones, A Perfect Circle, Karnivool.

Industrial Rock/Metal - Fear Factory, Strapping Young Lad, Rammstein, Ministry, Rob/White Zombie, Static-X

Goth Rock - Evanescence, Lacuna Coil.

Nu-Metal/Mainstream - P.O.D. , System of A Down, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, KoRn.

UK Rock/Pop/Indie - The Verve, Kula Shaker, The Libertines, The Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Coldplay.

Death/Black Metal

Mainstream/contemporary Power/Melo/Core - Lamb of God, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, Gojira, In Flames, Soilwork, The Acacia Strain, Arsis, All That Remains, Unearth, Trivium, KSE

Old School Melo-Death - Carcass, At The Gates

Deathcore - Job For A Cowboy, All Shall Perish, As Blood Runs Black, Whitechapel

Death/GrindCore Metal - Napalm Death, Cattle Decapitation, Pig Destroyer, Angelcorpse, Brain Drill

[mixed] Death Metal - Nile, Cryptopsy, Vital Remains, Suffocation, Ulcerate, Krisiun, Kataklysm, In Mourning, In Vain, Hate Eternal, The Black Dahlia Murder, Psycroptic, Hypocrisy | (Exploring) - Wintersun, Winds of Plague, Universum

Blackened Death Metal - Behemoth, Mitochondrion, Keep of Kalessin, Rotting Christ

Prog/Avant Garde Death/Black Metal - Enslaved, Deathspell Omega, Anaal Nathrakh, Cynic, Atheist, Scar Symmetry, Malefice, Sigh

Black Metal - Emperor, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Satyricon, Shining

Stoner/Doom rock/metal - My Dying Bride, Type O Negative, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Danzig, Down, Isis, Eye Hate God

Ambient Black Metal - Alcest, Eai, Swallow The Sun, Sun of The Blind, Lantlos

Tech Death/melo/black - Death, The Red Chord, Obscura, The Faceless, Origin, Decapitated, Divine Heresy, Quo Vadis, Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist.

Power Metal - Blind Guardian, Helloween, Kamelot, Nightwish, Therion, Theater of Tragedy

Symphonic Death - Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom.

Here's what I like (in bold are my constant favorites):

Heavy and Thrash Metal: Metallica, Megadeth

Nu Metal: System of a Down, Marilyn Manson, Coal Chamber, Five Finger Death Punch, Korn, Godsmack

Gothic Metal: Evanescence, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Xandria

Alternative Metal: Audioslave, Nickelback

Grunge Metal: Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Candlebox

Industrial Metal: Rammstein, Oomph, Emigrate

Slipknot is Nu Metal :| (My fav :D)

Alter Bridge - Alternative metal, post-grunde

Dope - Nu metal, alt metal, H. rock

how could you forget

Judas Priest - Heavy metal, speed metal, heavy rock

(pardon if i missed it)

Amon Amarth - Death metal (another fav)

Breaking Benjamin - Alternative metal, post-grunge, alternative rock, hard rock

Bullet for My Valentine - Heavy metal, thrash metal

Papa Roach - Hard rock, heavy metal, rap rock, post-grunge, alternative metal

U2 - Rock, alternative rock, post-punk

Guns n Roses - H.rock. H. metal

^^ Like I said I've not sorted everything with the subgenres right now and I know it's a sensitive topic.

I don't mind Slipknot, it's loud and okay. Last Year was my tryst with a lot of hardcore, before that a lot death Metal, though the big old school names are missing from my list.

But I end up listening to a lot of Prog Metal.

how could you forget

Judas Priest - Heavy metal, speed metal, heavy rock

Hehe, I didn't miss it I don't listen to a lot of Judas Priest, sacrilege, isn't it ?? :p :p And there are tons of Scandinavian bands I haven't heard of, hopefully will get posted here :)

There is nothing sacrilegious in JP, as there is nothing satanic about the Unholy Trinity(Zep,Sabbath,Purple) or KISS.

^^ you misunderstood me, I was saying that not being a huge fan of JP can be considered sacrilege by metal brethren. JP are harmless, and so are the other bands you've mentioned :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
There is nothing sacrilegious in JP, as there is nothing satanic about the Unholy Trinity(Zep,Sabbath,Purple) or KISS.

Where are your Recos? Put them up :) I'm guessing Classic/ Hard Rock?

Post rock: Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, Russian Circles. Probably my favourite genre right now.

Also, I don't see a mention of Biffy Clyro in the OP, so if you guys are into post progressive(The Mars Volta, Muse, Radiohead to name a few famous bands in this genre) give them a listen.

I see loads of good bands missing, will post a few recommendations along shortly.

Edit: Might also be a good idea to share your Last.fm profiles for those who use it, here's mine http://www.last.fm/user/Amaresh

Current favs

Alternative -
  • Death Cab for Cutie
  • Midlake (thanks to chiron for this)
  • Porcupine Tree
  • The Nightwatchman (RATM+Audioslave guitarist, Tom Morello's solo project)

Metal -
  • Alestorm (Scottish band with lots of folksy influences, fantastic)
  • Amon Amarth (Swedish death metal)
  • Amorphis (Finnish band that plays all kinds of different stuff, again with a bunch of folksy influences),
  • Demons & Wizards (side project of members from Blind Guardian & Iced Earth)
  • DragonForce
  • Turisas (Finnish folksy metal)

Heavy
Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica

Alternative R/M-
Grunge/Post Grunge - Nirvana, NickelBack.
Nu-Metal/Mainstream - Slipknot, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, KoRn.

Death/Black Metal

Power Metal - Blind Guardian

And You MISSED :mad:

Folk Metal – Ensiferum

*Papa Roach (All Songs)

*RED (Breathe Into me)

*Cradle Of filth (Nymphetamine)

*Incubus (Love Hurts)

*Dropkick Murphys

*Doughtry

*Skillet

*Within Temptation

*Mute Math/Mutemath (Typical)

*Audioslave (I am a Highway)

*Paramore

*Breaking Benjamin

*Switchfoot

*The Killers

*Rooster

Dont Care to Which Sub Genre they Belong to,Just Love Them :)

Youve missed out few Sub Genres

"Punk Rock" - Ramones, the Offsprings, The clash, Blink 182, The sex pistols,

"Hard rock" - AC/DC, Whitelion,Firehouse,white snake, Ronnie James Dio , Loverboy, Steeleheart, Deep Purple

other Nu-metal - Killswitch engage, Annhilator, sonic syndicate, Arkea, art of dying, Shinedown

Current Faves

Eternal Tears of Sorrow : Depressive / Melodic Death Metal

Norther : If you like CoB , give these guys a chance... especially the Solution 7 EP which is one of my favs

And just for the lulz , here is a pretty funny / cool Finnish Metal band.

Presenting..... Lordi

You guys have covered pretty much. I feel this thread needs more love for

- Agalloch

- Death

- Dying Fetus

- Cryptopsy

- Nervecell (Dubai)

dhruvrock2000 said:
Current Faves

Eternal Tears of Sorrow : Depressive / Melodic Death Metal

Norther : If you like CoB , give these guys a chance... especially the Solution 7 EP which is one of my favs

And just for the lulz , here is a pretty funny / cool Finnish Metal band.

Presenting..... Lordi

Norther is good, my band covered Final Countdown, long time back.

Back