Budget 10-15K Recommendations to replace a Moto G5plus?

retro_gk

Recruit
Hi Folks, looking to buy a new phone for my father (70+). The Moto G5plus he is currently using has suffered one drop too many and the battery has degraded to the point where he has to charge it daily :| He uses it mainly for calls, texting, whatsapp and as a wifi hotspot for his laptop. The G5 plus has been a fabulous device for him, with a pretty good primary camera and NFC which allows him to transfer photos from his P&S camera directly. I have considered replacing the screen and battery, but the cost of doing so from an authorised service center is close to the point where a new device starts to make sense. The things most important to him are great battery life, good antennas, and a decent screen for reading messages.

My first thought was to get another G5plus, but as the device is discontinued I'm not sure of how good the battery will be even on a new device, and it is not officially supported by LineageOS.

My next choice would be a debloated Redmi Note 5pro running an EU ROM or Lineage. The device is fairly compact, and has a good screen+camera. The only concern is that it is 3 years old at this point.

The Samsung M11 and the Moto G9 have their own pros and cons, but are both recent devices running a current version of Android. But both are rather large in the hand. The Poco M3 is in the same boat. What does the collective wisdom of the forum recommend? Thanks!

1. Budget?
A: Less than INR 15k

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: Anything goes, so long as it is clear.

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 9 and above, LineageOS support is a plus.

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G, VoLTE

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Calls, messaging, Banking/UPI apps, internet hotspot.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual SIM

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, 4GB RAM, 3.5mm jack. NFC would be a bonus.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Another G5 Plus, Redmi Note 5pro, Samsung M11, Moto G9, Poco M3

Back