Reddit may force 3rd party apps to shut down, asks for $12k api access fees.

@mayank11280
> What are you even on about here?
> Political control? Are you insane or just unaware?
lol. Your comments reeks emotional appealing, shaming critics, etc. etc. Typical of commentators on that social media forum.

> Political control over public expression is authoritarianism
That social media platform and it's well wishers will support political control and authoritarianism if such acts are done against their political opponets.

> I thought we were in favour of democratic expression Which allows political dissent.
Reddit mods will happily kick anyone out if posts are against their political ideology without keeping an iota of decency and rationality.

> Also, gatekeeping? Is that seriously what upsets you?
Look who is more upset here :)

> Not that platforms of people are being systematically destroyed one after the other? Twitter, Reddit and so on? Spaces of free speech are being demolished for power, profit and laughs?
Free speech on reddit is for those who live in their own 'sub' bubbles, the moment you pop the bubble, your free speech will be banned.

> There was no question of crime here in the first place but yeah, hate is blind. It makes you find demons where there are none.

Details will come out once that platform implode, not now. This api issue nor few cases will be that, but that site's character shows it will inevitably happen.

>Your gripe is unreasonable and most of all prejudiced. Anyone with reasonable mind can see why community value of reddit is so high. Why the steps by Reddit are being criticised.

Yeah, that is lot of hot air.

Will step out of this and wait for it to implode.
Wow. I thought if Reddit killed 3rd party apps I'd finally stop wasting time arguing with people, but clearly there's an infinite supply of people being wrong on the internet.

@mayank11280
> Do you think is there anything of value with reddit which needs to be preserved?
It's code base is worth maintaining and used for creating more similar forums.

@SirVer
> but clearly there's an infinite supply of people being wrong on the internet.
lol. As of this part, am not worried to say I may / can be wrong.

@mayank11280
> Do you think is there anything of value with reddit which needs to be preserved?
It's code base is worth maintaining and used for creating more similar forums.

@SirVer
> but clearly there's an infinite supply of people being wrong on the internet.
lol. As of this part, am not worried to say I may / can be wrong.
That's a very clinical treatment of my question.

Let me rephrase it better:

Do you think is there any cultural value in reddit which should be preserved? If so then what is it and why that only?

@mayank11280
> Do you think is there any cultural value in reddit which should be preserved? If so then what is it and why that only?

It was already answered:
"There are indeed some good content subs which sugarcoat on the overall shady show."

@mayank11280
> Do you think is there any cultural value in reddit which should be preserved? If so then what is it and why that only?

It was already answered:
"There are indeed some good content subs which sugarcoat on the overall shady show."
Would you please answer the question in its entirety for once?

Do you think is there any cultural value in reddit which should be preserved? If so then what is it and why that only?

Be specific and definite. "good content subs" with a very twisted qualifier doesn't answer the question. Also, that was not answered in the context of the question.

Last edited:
I prefer to review reddit as a platform in entirety only. It's culture does not impress me much.
If it does not exist, chances are that far better options may turn up.
Just like how Digg went down and reddit popped up.
Not interested in pinpointing issues, which again will be exploited as a maligning the messenger tactics by some people from such platforms.
As said earlier, "Will step out of this and wait for it to implode".

I prefer to review reddit as a platform in entirety only. It's culture does not impress me much.
If it does not exist, chances are that far better options may turn up.
Just like how Digg went down and reddit popped up.
Not interested in pinpointing issues, which again will be exploited as a maligning the messenger tactics by some people from such platforms.
As said earlier, "Will step out of this and wait for it to implode".
So, you mean to say that since reddit does not impress you it must not exist.

It was personal all along. Not about crime, legal and political control, etc.

Got it. Thanks.

Last edited:
You are talking like, if criminal nefarious stuff is happening on reddit just ignore it, but when its on some other site then huge problem ?
When reddit and topics affiliated to them, there is always a strange kind of gatekeeping involved.
By your logic we should get rid of all the search engines as well. Since it leads us to all kinds of illegal stuff as well.
I strongly disagree that politics is the main agenda on reddit. I remember a decade ago the most popular subs were funny, pics, gaming, askreddit and other such subs. I don't see anything political or dirty on the 100s of subs I follow.
If you only look for illegal, NSFW, ugly posts, you'll find them anywhere.

That's a very clinical treatment of my question.

Let me rephrase it better:

For me, there are umpteen user guides on not just the latest stuff but also obscure stuff and hands on user reviews which are are faaaaaar more useful than anything else out there.
You also get a lot of obscure troubleshooting discussions - I still get upvotes and comments on one Android troubleshooting step posted pre-pandemic !
Then there are budding writers - from nosleep to talesof techsupport/call centres/pharmacy/hospitality.. which are amazing to read.
Multiple subreddits focussing on getting picture critiques, but also getting informative insights on almost any area of interest.
Gaming subreddits with not just honest reviews (whichb might resonate with your style of playing), but people showing their love and passion on games via unique works of art, subreddits on deals etc.
AND EVERYTHING AT ONE PLACE !
Yes, you can mostly get some of this are different sites, but reddit is an awesome aggregator of content targeted towards YOU. There's really nothing like it unfortunately. I've tried Squabble and all other competitors. They're just like Discord vs WhatsApp. Inconvenient and clunky.

Hey guys, what's going on in this thre..

shocked donald glover GIF

Anyone has any experience with reddit alternatives like lemmy or kbin ?
I hope lemmy will turn out to be a good alternative. Some subs have already jumped there from Reddit.

Most subreddits are back online.
Also pretty much what you would expect

Well, guess it's time to download my account data before the API change makes that impossible to do. I have over 12,000 comments and posts, and almost all of them were from Boost - if I can't use that or another 3PA, Reddit may as well not exist for me.

Yes, you can mostly get some of this are different sites, but reddit is an awesome aggregator of content targeted towards YOU. There's really nothing like it unfortunately.
This. Instead of signing up on umpteen websites, you just need one login/password. Those who complain about reddit, they haven't searched that site for the interesting subs there. Plus there's new subs being created every day. The amount of information you get while troubleshooting anything from house hold stuff to computers is mind blowing. Some advice is bad and outright misinformation but if you know how to sift out such info, you can't help but thank the people who care to share their knowledge with you. If you only read worldnews or other subs and get mad about the kids there blaming India for everything, then you need to search for more. Reddit doesn't revolve around those few big subs imo.
I hope lemmy will turn out to be a good alternative. Some subs have already jumped there from Reddit.
I tried some lemmy client from F-droid and the first thing I noticed is a banner saying the poor guys server was overloaded due to the influx from reddit. Since lemmy is just a collection of privately held servers, i doubt it will last long. People don't have infinite money like companies to spend on. They can't scale servers at the rate companies can if the usage is like reddit with 50k+ active users at any time. The answer to Reddit is probably something like Reddit but by another company.

This. Instead of signing up on umpteen websites, you just need one login/password. Those who complain about reddit, they haven't searched that site for the interesting subs there. Plus there's new subs being created every day. The amount of information you get while troubleshooting anything from house hold stuff to computers is mind blowing. Some advice is bad and outright misinformation but if you know how to sift out such info, you can't help but thank the people who care to share their knowledge with you. If you only read worldnews or other subs and get mad about the kids there blaming India for everything, then you need to search for more. Reddit doesn't revolve around those few big subs imo.

I tried some lemmy client from F-droid and the first thing I noticed is a banner saying the poor guys server was overloaded due to the influx from reddit. Since lemmy is just a collection of privately held servers, i doubt it will last long. People don't have infinite money like companies to spend on. They can't scale servers at the rate companies can if the usage is like reddit with 50k+ active users at any time. The answer to Reddit is probably something like Reddit but by another company.
As much as I hate what's happening, the CEO is right. Most people will stay on reddit following the aftermath and switch to the official app as much as they might hate it, in the absence of an immediate competitor. It is also one of the reasons they implemented this change on short notice, because they don't want an alternative to develop by giving the third-party apps more time. Their only headache might be if moderators quit en masse, for which they compromised some what by exempting moderation tools from API usage.

Lemmy is at an inflection point. It kind of reminds me of Signal when people started leaving WhatsApp. There were initial issues but things settled down over the long run. If reddit operated on volunteer moderators, then pretty sure a good proportion of new users will also be willing to be server hosts. It will probably scale up well enough if it turns out to be the alternative.

I find it much more usable via a normal browser so I have not tried any app. Unlike apps I also have not faced any issues so far. I have heard that Jerboa is a simple no frills app which some folks like to use.
Lemmy, kbin and few others form a part of a group of federated servers called Fediverse
While I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of how it all works, Fediverse has existed since 2008. Lemmy is new.
However I also feel this will all blow over. The Reddit apps which need to go will go and users will move to the official cr-app or others which continue to function. I will be surprised if they can sustain the blackout or any other forms of boycott.

I find it much more usable via a normal browser so I have not tried any app. Unlike apps I also have not faced any issues so far. I have heard that Jerboa is a simple no frills app which some folks like to use.
Lemmy, kbin and few others form a part of a group of federated servers called Fediverse
While I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of how it all works, Fediverse has existed since 2008. Lemmy is new.
However I also feel this will all blow over. The Reddit apps which need to go will go and users will move to the official cr-app or others which continue to function. I will be surprised if they can sustain the blackout or any other forms of boycott.
Using Jerboa since I registered on Lemmy 2 weeks back. The app is a good, no-frills way to check and post along multiple instances which I assume would be the main barrier for most mainstream users. I had registered on lemmy.ml though, which was fine 2 weeks back but is now unable to cope with the traffic.

Right now people are creating duplicate "subreddits" with the same name on the different instances which is a real problem. I feel the fediverse will create the same barriers for mass adoption that impacted Mastodon and prevented it from becoming a real alternative to Twitter.

I think you've got the wrong idea about people who are complaining. Those who are complaining know important and intesting reddit can be.

Which is why they don't want it to end up like twitter. If third party apps are killed and old.reddit.com is next on the hitlist then reddit becomes unusable for many people.

What good is the information on the site if the site is filled with bs and difficult to navigate?

I think you've got the wrong idea about people who are complaining. Those who are complaining know important and intesting reddit can be.

Which is why they don't want it to end up like twitter. If third party apps are killed and old.reddit.com is next on the hitlist then reddit becomes unusable for many people.
Precisely. It is not just another site to post - you can find a bunch of folk dedicated into the most niche subjects, who are there to just share info/experience, not for commercial gain. They are perfectly capable of taking their content elsewhere if the API is restricted. It is not just a medium to create a fuss aka "social awareness" - it can cater content to your personal tastes.

On desktop I use RES + old.reddit; without it the site is very hard to use with tons of unnecessary "features".

What good is the information on the site if the site is filled with bs and difficult to navigate?
I was adding to the merits of post no 69 above who was replying to this sentence.

I thought that person (mayank) was complaining against reddit and maybe I'm wrong. I don't know about cultural aspects of reddit, because, reddit is not a country or a region having it's own culture but a mish mash of people from hundreds of countries coming and just chatting in one place.

Back