Reddit may force 3rd party apps to shut down, asks for $12k api access fees.

Not very sure if someone here would like it but reVanced released recent patches for Boost and Sync for reddit where you can add your own token(subject to limits of the free API obviously). IDK if i can link it but check the subreddit r/revancedapp for the official site and an excellent guide. I've been a boost user for all my android usage( Reddplanet on iOS ) and would not use the official app at all because it feels SO BAD.

Not very sure if someone here would like it but reVanced released recent patches for Boost and Sync for reddit where you can add your own token(subject to limits of the free API obviously). IDK if i can link it but check the subreddit r/revancedapp for the official site and an excellent guide. I've been a boost user for all my android usage( Reddplanet on iOS ) and would not use the official app at all because it feels SO BAD.
They do so for the official client as well.

Which other social media platform allows third party apps?

Reddit did string them along all these years but this was coming sooner or later.
Twitter did for a more than a decade until the sociopath took over.

Your words seem like you are denoting Reddit did a favour for these 3rd-party apps. But, it is the other way around.

Do you know why most subreddit moderators are staging a protest? Because the official app does not provide sufficient mod tools for them to look after their subreddits. That's where these third-party apps came in and they made their job easier.

Talking about the user side of things - do you like to be fed with ads in your face the whole time? Or an app that loads slowly? Or an app that is resource-intensive and a battery-sucker? Or an app that you cannot customise to your liking? Well, that's the official Reddit app in a nutshell. 3rd-party apps solved this my making the user experience of browsing Reddit simpler, easier, and ad-free.

Now, tell me, what would you like - an inferior product such as the official Reddit app or a superior MVP like the 3rd-party ones? You will answer your own question why third-party apps were an absolute necessity for a website like Reddit.

And somehow you're defending this shitty practice?

Twitter did for a more than a decade until the sociopath took over.

Your words seem like you are denoting Reddit did a favour for these 3rd-party apps. But, it is the other way around.

Do you know why most subreddit moderators are staging a protest? Because the official app does not provide sufficient mod tools for them to look after their subreddits. That's where these third-party apps came in and they made their job easier.

Talking about the user side of things - do you like to be fed with ads in your face the whole time? Or an app that loads slowly? Or an app that is resource-intensive and a battery-sucker? Or an app that you cannot customise to your liking? Well, that's the official Reddit app in a nutshell. 3rd-party apps solved this my making the user experience of browsing Reddit simpler, easier, and ad-free.

Now, tell me, what would you like - an inferior product such as the official Reddit app or a superior MVP like the 3rd-party ones? You will answer your own question why third-party apps were an absolute necessity for a website like Reddit.

Reddit did to Digg what some other site will do to them.

I'm a frequent user of Apollo and don't see myself using reddit as much once that goes away.

The harsh reality is the larger a website/company becomes, the greedier they get.

Reddit has probably done the math and figured out that losing X amount of customers is alright with them. Just for reference, in Android, the official app has 10x more downloads than all the other 3rd party apps combined.

Reddit did to Digg what some other site will do to them.

I'm a frequent user of Apollo and don't see myself using reddit as much once that goes away.

The harsh reality is the larger a website/company becomes, the greedier they get.

Reddit has probably done the math and figured out that losing X amount of customers is alright with them. Just for reference, in Android, the official app has 10x more downloads than all the other 3rd party apps combined.

If Reddit is okay losing X amount of customers then why they are making a fuss that its API access is costing them $20 million a year per 3rd-party app, which they want the app developers to reimburse?

If the numbers were really insignificant, like with the graph that you posted, then Huffman would have laughed his way to the bank. But, that's not the case right? Steve is fighting for that 10 million users.

The more you dig deeper and tried to make sense what the Reddit CEO wants, the more brain cells you will lose.

If Reddit is okay losing X amount of customers then why they are making a fuss that its API access is costing them $20 million a year per 3rd-party app, which they want the app developers to reimburse?

If the numbers were really insignificant, like with the graph that you posted, then Huffman would have laughed his way to the bank. But, that's not the case right? Steve is fighting for that 10 million users.

The more you dig deeper and tried to make sense what the Reddit CEO wants, the more brain cells you will lose.

I'm pretty sure Steve thinks it's a vocal minority and is acting as such.

We'll know for sure a month or so in if it is really affecting the site.

If traffic stats start going way down they can easily reverse the decision.

I'm pretty sure Steve thinks it's a vocal minority and is acting as such.

We'll know for sure a month or so in if it is really affecting the site.

If traffic stats start going way down they can easily reverse the decision.

As much as we think otherwise, 3rd party app users will not make a huge dent. As much as I want to state otherwise, I'll still go to reddit for the usual stuff like nosleep, talesof, real life reviews etc visa their official app. The site is too big to fail tbh.

I'll still go to reddit for the usual stuff like nosleep, talesof, real life reviews etc visa their official app. The site is too big to fail tbh.
Not me. I'll try to avoid it as much as possible. I tried browsing Reddit on chrome, Firefox etc on mobile and it was a pita. Constant pop ups asking you to install the reddit app, blocking some big subs by forcing you to login through app or browser etc. Really shitty experience. It's like Pinterest or quora.

The only okay experience i got was on laptop where it had enough cpu power to load the crap reddit was loading in the background. I had to go into my account settings to stop video from automatically playing. Plus a few extensions that made everything load from old.reddit.com made the experience better but probably even the old site will go away soon.

Well then, please explain why Reddit needs $20 million a year from a single app developer for its API access.

Because they are not actually targeting that developer, its those who are scraping reddit data and building on top of that.

Not exactly, but the shareholders will be demanding.

Another good example of espousing this is IBM/RHEL basically ditching CentOS 3 years back, and as of recently, 2 days back, screwing Alma and Rocky by limiting access to RHEL builds.

Looks like a lot of the subs went to lemmy.world and lemmy.ml
The guys running those servers were talking about how subscriptions went from 600 to 12000+ in 3 days. Lots of bot accounts (40k+) trying to signup which were purged. Some server managers have decided to let only few repost bots on separate instances.

Good news is the r/india and other Indian subs went to some other social site starting with an s. Good riddance. Like all of them. India discussion, etc. I signed up on lemmy world and logged out from Reddit. Lemmy world seems like it's adding lot of the the good reddit communities everyday. Thankfully the discussion there is not similar to poison gas discussion like Reddit.

Image7950336096135747851.jpg

New edit: Reddit was apparently performing tests like these where they were trying to force users off the mobile browser.

Last edited:
Back