Android Redmi 12 5g/ Poco m6 pro 5g released - a return to form

greenhorn

Patron
Finally after a string of overpriced downgrades, Xiaomi seems to have finally released a worthy phone. Snapdragon 4 gen 2, 4 nm SoC, 90hz display, glass back, 5g,fast charging all at 10k, when typically most cos charge 15k. If you can cough up a bit extra, you can even get a 256gb version

My M33 5g salutes you back Sir ! . FYI I also have an Mi 11 lite ne 5g . Sd 778g . Good phone but not as update friendly as Samsung m33 5g is . Next purchase too will be a Samsung. One ui has sure gotten better . Beats miui any day .

the only thing i want from samsung now is consistent kernel releases , so that i can flash custom roms when/if i want.
have used mi a1,a2 and a3 in the past.

My father had a Samsung M51. It recently gave up on its display for no apparent reason. The phone was used for calls, whatsapp, and web browsing. It was never dropped, never overcharged; was limited to 85%, yet it decided to just die. I'm starting to have trust issues with Samsung now. My 4-5 year old Xiaomi phone is still going strong.

I understand that Mi phones have issues with updates. But those looking for custom ROMs sure love all Mi phones. SD 636 phones are getting A14 ROMs and can handle it just fine.
The SOC powering these two new Androids performs close to SD 778G while being more efficient. Can easily last 7-8 years of Android upgrades easy? + With the LCD display, the chances of developing issues in the long run (as with Amoled) is kind of less?
Samsung can be a great choice but they need to fix their Exynos heat. The bloat that comes with OneUI needs to be reduced. + They need to release their VoLTE/VoWiFi sources to Samsung AOSP so that certain networks like Jio can work on custom ROMs.

I understand that Mi phones have issues with updates. But those looking for custom ROMs sure love all Mi phones. SD 636 phones are getting A14 ROMs and can handle it just fine.
Couldn't agree more; I have my Redmi Note 4 sailing on A13. The last official update for it was Nougat 7.0.

My father had a Samsung M51. It recently gave up on its display for no apparent reason. The phone was used for calls, whatsapp, and web browsing. It was never dropped, never overcharged; was limited to 85%, yet it decided to just die. I'm starting to have trust issues with Samsung now. My 4-5 year old Xiaomi phone is still going strong.
Xiaomi & ALL other brands manufactured prior to June 2020 have rock solid (with Quality Controlled Parts), after June 2020 any BUDGET device made by ANY BRAND is really don't have QUALITY TESTED PARTS hence 50-50 chance of their life.

Maximum users here on TE & in your circle enjoy good quality handset & other electrical goods are 99% either they bought before June 2020 or bought after but same products made before June 2020.

I had poco m2 pro with so many issue on MIUI. Decided to install custom rom, it went smooth. Phone build quality (physically) was awesome. I had dropped phone from 3rd floor, screen got cracked at several places, got some discoloration even bent few degree BUT touch was working, NO, actually everything was working. Used for almost 2 month then got exchange value of 4000/- on amazon while purchasing M34.

I had poco m2 pro with so many issue on MIUI. Decided to install custom rom, it went smooth. Phone build quality (physically) was awesome. I had dropped phone from 3rd floor, screen got cracked at several places, got some discoloration even bent few degree BUT touch was working, NO, actually everything was working. Used for almost 2 month then got exchange value of 4000/- on amazon while purchasing M34.
Hi, Do you think the M34 is suitable for senior citizens? calls and youtube most of the time...Jus dont need it to lag alot nor be plagued with ads/notifications like redmi phones.

Hi, Do you think the M34 is suitable for senior citizens? calls and youtube most of the time...Jus dont need it to lag alot nor be plagued with ads/notifications like redmi phones.
Currently it's not lagging but I've doubt it will after 1-2 software cycle. For calls, youtube general purpose it is perfectly fine. I've some disappointment in sound section (mono speaker, low volume) but hey screen is gorgeous, UI is very good.

With the LCD display, the chances of developing issues in the long run (as with Amoled) is kind of less?
Are there any actual cases showing this? My decade+ old phone with AMOLED screen is still fine. As far as I can tell it's more of an issue for monitors/TVs that are continuously on for hours

Are there any actual cases showing this? My decade+ old phone with AMOLED screen is still fine. As far as I can tell it's more of an issue for monitors/TVs that are continuously on for hours
There are many cases indeed. I have constantly come across burn-in issues reported by AMOLED users. I have also come across many like you who have never had AMOLEDs cause trouble for them. I guess there is some sort of luck factor involved with these.
Before anything, just seven posts above yours in this thread, @retrophiliac has clearly stated how his Galaxy M51 with Super AMOLED Plus randomly gave up on its display.
Here are some sources to back my claims:
Lifespan or longevity: One of the notable reason why in-plane switching LCD technology has been regarded as more superior than AMOLED display technology is lifespan. Between the two display technologies, AMOLED panels are more prone to screen burn-ins and overall color degradation.

The AMOLED panels used in high-end smartphones can last for less than two years before obvious signs of degradation appear. Note that in an AMOLED display technology, blues and whites fade faster than reds and greens. Over time, reduced brightness, color shifts, and burn-ins become very noticeable.

While IPS panels are also susceptible to dead pixels, their lifespan is much longer than AMOLED panels. A good IPS panel can last from 8 to 10 years without showing noticeable signs of degradation.

The organic materials found in an AMOLED panel are also susceptible to water damage unlike the inorganic crystalline found in IPS panel. Submerging an AMOLED panel in water will immediately result in noticeable damages as represented by screen burn-ins or dead pixels.
Source: https://www.profolus.com/topics/comparison-ips-vs-amoled-display-technologies/

AMOLED Cons

• Less Durable – Much like old strings of Christmas lights, if a single pixel is damaged, it can cause the entire screen to stop displaying altogether. In many cases, the AMOLED display will crack or break before the glass on top of it does.
  • Burn in – This is an issue that was present on old Plasma Televisions. Over time the pixels can get “stuck” showing a specific image or color, meaning that over time as the screen gets older, it can show a shadow of an icon. A good way to mitigate this is to move your icons around every once in a while.
Source: https://www.gophermods.com/amoled-vs-lcd-tale-two-screens/
Those articles aside, I found that many Samsung M52 users have encountered issues like burn-in and random lines appearing on their perfectly maintained phones out of nowhere. I remember it as I had looked it up very recently.
Source: https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_m52_5g-reviews-11110.php
Finally, a Google search to reach all the individuals who have encountered issues with AMOLED:
That's all the sources I could gather for the time being. And the one fact that IPS LCD doesn't have burn-in issues makes me trust it more to last longer.

Last edited:
I guess there is some sort of luck factor involved with these.
Hmm I must be lucky indeed to have had 3 brands of AMOLED phones working fine. Or perhaps the longest continuous display usage is for GPS navigation. I prefer not to watch long videos ads on phones.
Before anything, just seven posts above yours in this thread, @retrophiliac has clearly stated how his Galaxy M51 with Super AMOLED Plus randomly gave up on its display.
Interesting. I ignored it since the entire display failed which I assumed was not an AMOLED specific issue like burn-in.

Hmm I must be lucky indeed to have had 3 brands of AMOLED phones working fine. Or perhaps the longest continuous display usage is for GPS navigation. I prefer not to watch long videos ads on phones.

Interesting. I ignored it since the entire display failed which I assumed was not an AMOLED specific issue like burn-in.
Here are reports from from S21 FE. Check all posts.
Apparently these are happening without software updates as well. Not sure how software updates can ruin the display to begin with but there's that.

Xiaomi & ALL other brands manufactured prior to June 2020 have rock solid (with Quality Controlled Parts), after June 2020 any BUDGET device made by ANY BRAND is really don't have QUALITY TESTED PARTS hence 50-50 chance of their life.
This seems like it's very unlikely to be true. What are you basing this on?

Back