PC Peripherals Regarding CM 500W Extreme power plus....

max_s

Disciple
hi...i m goin for pc upgrade in the month of august..that includes mobo proccy,ram and graphic card....
finalised for amd x4 965 c3,gigabyte 890gpa-series,g-skill 1600mhz 4gb ram,and a ati radeon 5770 any make ,and two hardrives....the problem here is psu its a cooler master 500w RS500-PCAR-A3..will it be able to handle this load and im not goin for overclocking on this system ...its a 70+ eff. an year old.......
if any changes on the gpu front are welcomed....and i will not be goin for psu upgrade for now...
reply soon forum...w8ing!!!!!!

Sell off ur PSU and get a Corsair VX450 ~ 3.7k or a Seasonic S12II 520w ~ 4.1k

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-600-a-169269.html

DarkAngel said:
This time we made more detailed tests, starting from 85 W and increasing load little by little until we could see the maximum amount of power we could extract from the reviewed unit.

If you add all the powers listed for each test you may find a value different from what is posted under “Total” below. Since each output can have a slight variation (e.g. +5 V output working at 5.10 V), the actual total amount of power being delivered is slightly different from the calculated value. On the “Total” row we are using the real amount of power being delivered, as measured by our load tester.

The +12VA and +12VB inputs listed below are the two +12 V independent inputs from our load tester. During this test +12VA input was connected to the power supply “+12V1” rail, while +12VB was connected to the power supply “+12V2” rail (EPS12V connector).

The Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W, like the 550 W model from the same series, can’t deliver its labeled wattage. The power supply immediately burned when we tried to run our 600 W load pattern (what would be our test number 22). Inspecting the power supply after it burned we discovered that the component that failed was one of the switching transistors. It is also very important to note that due to the huge difference between what we were supposed to see at the +12 V output and the actual voltage being delivered by the power supply (e.g., +11.25 V during test number 21), the total wattage delivered by the power supply was way lower than it should be. For instance, the load pattern used during test 21 was supposed to extract 575 W from the power supply, but it was delivering 547.3 W during this test.

Efficiency peaked at 77.6% during test eight, with the unit delivering around 245 W, and reached its lowest point at 69.2%, with the unit delivering 84.0 W.

Voltage regulation was bad, with the power supply not being able to keep the +12 V output inside its correct value from test 18 (480 W) on. Therefore, it is only safe to pull up to 450 W from this power supply – above this value this power supply can damage components from your computer.

Noise and ripple levels, on the other hand, were very low at all times. During test 21 we saw a noise level of 33 mV at +12VA, 36.4 mV at +12VB, 19.2 mV at +5 V, 15.2 mV at +3.3 V, 16.6 mV at +5VSB and 35.4 mV at -12 V. As we always point out, the limits are 120 mV for +12 V and -12 V outputs, and 50 mV for +5 V and +3.3 V outputs, and all numbers are peak-to-peak figures.

Conclusions

Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off.

If you pull more than 450 W from this product it will offer real risk to your computer, plus it presents a lousy efficiency between 69.2% and 77.6%.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Hardware Secrets is one of the best PSU review sites along with Johny Guru. Take a look at the lines in Bold. This is why ppl in TE ask ones who get a good GPU to change their CM extreme Power PSU to better PSU like the Corsair, Seasonic, CM Silent Pro series etc....

Other than not being able to deliver more than 450w and just burns when trying to pull more power unlike the quality ones which shuts down safely :no: It sells for nearly 3k and for that price is a piece of cr@p.

DarkAngel said:
Sell off ur PSU and get a Corsair VX450 ~ 3.7k or a Seasonic S12II 520w ~ 4.1k

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-600-a-169269.html
Hmm...You are misunderstanding this PSU with the Extreme series..this is the Extreme Plus series and has a different OEM altogether although I dont recommend this PSU, specially when someone is on a lookout for a new PSU and does not already have it. This PSU actually does supply 500w @peak and has efficiency around 70-80%

But anyways @OP You better get yourself a better PSU if you plan to upgrade, although it may handle it, Im not sure though. But its recommended that you dont use this PSU specially after your upgrade :)

Mephistopheles said:
Hmm...You are misunderstanding this PSU with the Extreme series..this is the Extreme Plus series and has a different OEM altogether although I dont recommend this PSU, specially when someone is on a lookout for a new PSU and does not already have it. This PSU actually does supply 500w @peak and has efficiency around 70-80%

But anyways @OP You better get yourself a better PSU if you plan to upgrade, although it may handle it, Im not sure though. But its recommended that you dont use this PSU specially after your upgrade :)
eXtreme Power Plus 500W - Cooler Master

Isnt this the PSU that OP has. Its an CM EPP 500w and i just posted the review of the CM EPP 600w. Isnt the whole series made by the same OEM. Am i missing something here?

Mephistopheles said:
No No..that is the Infamous Cm Extreme Power 600W and what the OP has is CM Extreme Power Plus 500W (It has a different OEM, AcBel I think and different internal design) :)

CM EPP also seems to be equally pathetic. CM Extreme series seems to built with extremely cheap components :p

Well this lethal combo , i.e Palit 4850 Sonic + CM EPP 500W has gifted me fried GPU ... I know it could be low quality components in GPU too , but CM Extreme series is BAD ... period .

I am running all fine on this psu from last 1.2 years . See my signature for my config . Anyway i would advise atleast Vx450 ~ 3.5k to OP for sake of his own safety !

thankx for ur comments guys......based upon ur suggestion i did some research and found out that my total system full load hovers around 350w to 378w tats roughly around 70~75% of the efficiency of my psu *(extreme power calculator web).......
but to be on the safe side i will change my psu asap.....on my new rig as funds are available to me once again thankx guyz....!!!!

rohan_mhtr said:
I am running all fine on this psu from last 1.2 years . See my signature for my config . Anyway i would advise atleast Vx450 ~ 3.5k to OP for sake of his own safety !

Thats coz ur proccy TDP is just 65w whereas the PII X4 965 has a 125w TDP. Plus u have a GPU that consumes just ~85w on max load. U have lots of courage to O.C with that PSU :)

max_s said:
thankx for ur comments guys......based upon ur suggestion i did some research and found out that my total system full load hovers around 350w to 378w tats roughly around 70~75% of the efficiency of my psu *(extreme power calculator web).......
but to be on the safe side i will change my psu asap.....on my new rig as funds are available to me once again thankx guyz....!!!!
You are getting it wrong my friend, efficiency has nothing to do with how much power a PSU can actually supply, efficiency is the measure with which the PSU converts AC to DC, So the lesser the efficiency, the more power your PSU will draw, more will be the heat (which will lessen the life of your PSU) + there will be added cost of electricity being consumed.

So, as I earlier said, if you do not have the money now to buy yourself a new PSU, then that PSU can handle it for the mean time..but I personally recommend you to get yourself a better quality PSU ASAP. PSU is the only component which indirectly affects the health of all the other components so A PSU must always be a priority and shoudnt be neglected :)

DarkAngel said:
. U have lots of courage to O.C with that PSU :)
To add to my courage , i used 9800gt with this setup for 2 months and previously a 4870 ! for 2.5 months with the same setup except that i added the tv tuner just recently . All ran well too but then reading all these -ve posts got on my nerves . I dont think all these psu's are bad but i guess i am lucky to get a good unit .
Anyway precaution is always better then cure and hence i wont Recommend this PSU to OP since lots of these units have been heard to malfunction .

rohan_mhtr said:
To add to my courage , i used 9800gt with this setup for 2 months and previously a 4870 ! for 2.5 months with the same setup except that i added the tv tuner just recently . All ran well too but then reading all these -ve posts got on my nerves . I dont think all these psu's are bad but i guess i am lucky to get a good unit .

Anyway precaution is always better then cure and hence i wont Recommend this PSU to OP since lots of these units have been heard to malfunction .
:O You are a lucky bloke boss. Better change it. Why risk precious investment after being aware of what damage a bad PSU could cause.

There is alot of confusion here in TE about eXtreme power series and eXtreme power plus series as they both have little difference of plus in their names. All the stories you must've heard about this PSU are all of eXtreme power series one...till now I have not heard of any problem related to EPP series but still its better get an 80+ certified PSU :)

DarkAngel said:
:O You are a lucky bloke boss. Better change it. Why risk precious investment after being aware of what damage a bad PSU could cause.
Why , you dont think that this PSU cant handle my current rig !!

Mephistopheles said:
There is alot of confusion here in TE about eXtreme power series and eXtreme power plus series as they both have little difference of plus in their names. All the stories you must've heard about this PSU are all of eXtreme power series one...till now I have not heard of any problem related to EPP series but still its better get an 80+ certified PSU :)

Boss i agree the CM EPP is slightly better than the CM EP. But even the CM EPP review is not very promising.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

The CM EPP 460w unit review says the particular model is pretty ok. But the 600w unit review is not promising at all.

Back