Reggae in colleges.

Read up on bias: Bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And an opinion formed can also be due to bias, they are not mutually exclusive. In fact, an individualistic opinion is the simplest of biases you can come across. Everyone goes through some bias or the other, even me posting this.

I am well aware of the definition .. and yes my usage is technically incorrect there. I was trying to say that someone having first hand knowledge might seem biased to some one who hasn't.

If by individualistic bias you mean that everyone thinks he/she is right about what they say, then its quite obvious & natural.

Someone who becomes opinionated without actually knowing something and just following a group-think is far worse than a "biased" person.

I know arguing with you is a lost cause because I've seen others tried and failed. Therefore, I'd rather not reply to you any more. However, I do need a few explanations:

pauldmps -

ok .. except #5 .. I've a busy schedule .. and assertion is wildly imaginative. Students can take care of themselves and don't need me or college administration to babysit them.

So who should see that the seniors do not exceed the "acceptable level" (as perceived by you) & that things don't turn ugly ?

#4 I didn't ask ragging to be "legalized" again .. but the blanket ban seems ridiculous.

It does not matter what you think. Ragging in any form is illegal. Therefore justifying this act is equivalent to justifying any other criminal activity such as robbery or terrorism. You should rather consider approaching the Hon'ble Supreme Court to disallow this "blanket ban" & when the law is changed, you can continue defending your views. Until then, just remember that ragging is a criminal activity.

#4 .pt.2 - was an answer to a hypothetical question

And your answer is also hypothetical, hence untrue. Is that what you mean ?

#2 I never said "moral authority"

Then what kind of authority ? As far as I know, they don't have any constitutional authority to act as "ego diminish-er" or "ice-breaker" or whatever cr*p you call it. Please explain.

#6 is your own assertion .. don't drag me into those.

You said that the people who've endured ragging emerge stronger than others, so I listed the implications of not enduring ragging in more developed countries.

Some of you might feel that I've endured lots of ragging in my junior year and that's why I'm venting my anger here. But that's not true. My college was very strict about ragging and 1st year students had separate hostel as well as academic building in which seniors were not allowed to enter. I was not quite angry about ragging back then because nothing much happened.

Now I'm in 2nd year and now I feel the implications when I find the horror of ragging becomes a barrier between juniors & seniors interacting with each other. As I said earlier, I feel embarrassed because I know that the same junior who calls me "Sir" & wishes me everytime he sees me, actually swears in my name at my back. This is just a sense of false pride that the seniors want while actually this only diminishes their reputation and respect.

What boggles me more is that the same seniors who used to tease us in 1st year now starts to behave much better in 2nd year. What has changed ? One week ago, you used to comment about the colour of my dress, now a week later, you have no issues with me at all ? I mean, you're the same person, I'm the same person, what has changed in one week ? I sometimes feel that these guys have a some sort of mental disorder, "1styear-o-phobia" perhaps.

When you're new to a college, you are faced with a challenge to adjust to a new life away from home, without parents, eating mess food, making new friends & adjusting to new environment. Ragging just rubs salt to the wound. It leaves a deep physical and mental scar which haunts for entire life.

I may have not endured any serious ragging but some of my friends did. One of them attempted suicide while another decided to skip classes to avoid ragging. And this is not just two, there are thousand of students who decided to end their life or their education just due to this "moral policing". And then there are others who were beaten to disability & sometimes death in the name of ragging.

Just to add-- I know it will not change those (I guess one specific) person who thinks ragging is correct; most of the developed countries do not have any form of ragging like the horrors we have in India. Their education system is far better than what we have and if they can do it without this crime than so can we.

Back