Reggae in colleges.

Well whatever power a senior may lust for doesn't last long ..

I did have the same lengthy discussion with my friend and colleague .. his view on why he ragged was because he was "immature at that time to know better" .. he had proper ragging in his first year too
.. If someone answered his questions properly he was let go .. if they gave attitude then some "treatment" was given.

See my post..."given opportunity" is in there. Not duration. :)

Okay, you friend was naive and immature, where the seniors on the other side the same. And then that 2nd part...that is a repercussion, and it gets worse. The intensity piles on. That is a core aspect of ragging. Incremental pressure on ones facilities.

Why are you getting uppity now? And this was the main basis for my comment that you are on a mobile devise.

Ok .. I never realized that there were rules against it.

- - - Updated - - -

See my post..."given opportunity" is in there. Not duration. :)

Okay, you friend was naive and immature, where the seniors on the other side the same. And then that 2nd part...that is a repercussion, and it gets worse. The intensity piles on. That is a core aspect of ragging. Incremental pressure on ones facilities.

Yes so how long is the opportunity still there .. realistically tell me !

There is no helm of power .. its a crude ice breaker.

Core aspect of ragging is you have to face it .. once you go through with it .. its done.

Yes so how long is the opportunity still there .. realistically tell me !

There is no helm of power .. its a crude ice breaker.

Core aspect of ragging is you have to face it .. once you go through with it .. its done.

That is with every aspect, a human does not like or uncomfortable with. I am not putting in examples, cause you do not like 'em. But that is how the world works. If that window of opportunity can be prevented and the bad element mitigated, good.

Craving for power is one of the features of human mentality. The way politicians, bureaucrats & police behaves shows this mentality especially in India where law & order is comparable to a joke. Ragging is also a form of this particular mentality in which a few losers try to display their "non-existent" power. I don't know who started this so-called "tradition", but he did it in such a way that the it would continue to haunt for long. As guys who get ragged in his junior years, return their favours by ragging their juniors, causing a never ending loop. Something which is just like the dowry system leading to female foeticide.

Personally, I feel ashamed when I see juniors running away from me out of fear. This is really embarrassing. Am I a hooligan ? No, I'm an engineering student - a future professional, a to-be-respected person, a member of the the future workforce which will lead the country. Yet there are people who actually hate you, swear on your back because of this long tradition of creating a divide between juniors & seniors. Being seniors, shouldn't it be our responsibility to be their mentor, guide them, and help them cope up with surviving outside their homes ?

It takes too much effort to earn respect. It cannot be earned by instilling fear amongst people subordinate to you. Ragging is an act of cowardice & it is always be a way for losers to get back their self respect.

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished reading the whole thread. So according to dexBG (Strike out the words that doesn't apply) :

1. The environment of a college cannot be compared to home or any other place. Therefore, there should be no concept of privacy and personal-space in a college.

2. It is the moral authority of senior/s and also his compulsory duty to "rag" his juniors "upto an acceptable level" by virtue of their "superiority in the college hierarchy" and/or "age" and/or "experience" that they hold.

3. The acceptable forms of ragging includes "asking personal info" and/or "forcing to wear formals" and/or "asking to have a haircut" and/or "asking to wish the seniors".

4. Although ragging in any form is illegal in India by law, it should be allowed by the college authorities upto the above specified "acceptable level" without mentioning it in any official rulebook or other texts.

5. Mr. dexbg will be present in each ragging activity taking place in the country so as to check if the the senior/s involved do not exceed the "acceptable level" of ragging & award punishments if necessary.

6. As ragging makes people stronger, Indians are much more stronger to cope up with day to day life activities due to ragging than in other developed countries where people are weaker as ragging does not exist there.

I think these points conclude well about what is said above ragging.

@pauldmps -

ok .. except #5 .. I've a busy schedule .. and assertion is wildly imaginative. Students can take care of themselves and don't need me or college administration to babysit them.

#4 I didn't ask ragging to be "legalized" again .. but the blanket ban seems ridiculous.

#4 .pt.2 - was an answer to a hypothetical question

#2 I never said "moral authority"

#6 is your own assertion .. don't drag me into those.

Last edited by a moderator:
@dexBG

You seem to be the only person in this thread (and probably TE) to defend ragging. It might be because you turned out good because you were ragged or something but that cannot be generalized over a larger population.

dexBG

You seem to be the only person in this thread (and probably TE) to defend ragging. It might be because you turned out good because you were ragged or something but that cannot be generalized over a larger population.

Yes I see that now .. I am pretty much alone on this.
But generalizing that one who gets ragged becomes an unstable emotional wreck is unfair too .. using that extreme example in every rebuttal seems .. (I've said it before) .. ridiculous and on the other end we have privacy lovers.

I've seen every type of logical fallacy used in one form or the other in this thread. :p

@dexBG

You are the one who is the essence of logical fallacy in this thread. Your cognitive bias is very strong to the topic at hand due to your past experience and wish to have it inflicted on others too.

He's not alone. I'm with him, obviously with conditions apply.

I knew how this thread would turn into, therefore never bumped just after seeing the title.

dexBG

You are the one who is the essence of logical fallacy in this thread. Your cognitive bias is very strong to the topic at hand due to your past experience and wish to have it inflicted on others too.

Its not some revenge scheme of mine .. I have a strong opinion not a bias ..
Bias would be from some one who hasn't seen it first hand and then tries to argue it(for or against). It does seem to me that the there is the "natural bias" against the topic .. which no one wants to go against.

Back