Reliance Broadband...wimax...is This Legal????

vishalk

Adept
Hi guys,

Yesterday, a friend of mine booked a reliance wimax connection by calling their cs and what he was told, as per my view is illegal...what he was told was that reliance has STOPPED 400k and 600k packs to new suscribers and that he would ONLY have to suscribe to the 1mbps pack which is priced @ 2199pm. My friend asked the official the reason why for a change, which he was denied an answer for but he was further told that once ur details are updated on ur system in 24 to 48 hours, he can call the cs and make a request for a downgrade of the package to 400k or 600k whatever he needs, but he shall be charged for the period that he has the 1mbps flat plan, in any case, he 1st pays 2199 for the 1mbps+999 for the 400+tax....guys this is serious daylight cheating....

My friend asked me to call and confirm the same and the same i did get, they confirmed that no new connections get anything lesser t hen 1mbps and if u want anything lesser then apply for a wired connection, which depends on the availability of the service in that area.

Seriously guys THIS IS CHEATING.....TOTAL CHEATING....

yup.. same for a friend of mine who enquired. No plans below 1MBPS.

Im on the 400kbps but i can renew it and i just did last month. No force to upgrade to 1MBPS

dude if u downgrade on the 1st day ...it takes 24hrs to activatte a new plan...and u will be charged only for 2days ...cuz i recently upgraded to 1mbps from 600 and i had used 600 for 10 days ...so my bill shows 10 days as 600 and 20 days as 1mb...so u will be charged accordingly.

vishalk said:
Hi guys,

Yesterday, a friend of mine booked a reliance wimax connection by calling their cs and what he was told, as per my view is illegal...what he was told was that reliance has STOPPED 400k and 600k packs to new suscribers and that he would ONLY have to suscribe to the 1mbps pack which is priced @ 2199pm. My friend asked the official the reason why for a change, which he was denied an answer for but he was further told that once ur details are updated on ur system in 24 to 48 hours, he can call the cs and make a request for a downgrade of the package to 400k or 600k whatever he needs, but he shall be charged for the period that he has the 1mbps flat plan, in any case, he 1st pays 2199 for the 1mbps+999 for the 400+tax....guys this is serious daylight cheating....

My friend asked me to call and confirm the same and the same i did get, they confirmed that no new connections get anything lesser t hen 1mbps and if u want anything lesser then apply for a wired connection, which depends on the availability of the service in that area.

Seriously guys THIS IS CHEATING.....TOTAL CHEATING....

Not sure what you refer to as cheating. They have every right to discontinue a plan for new customers. It is upto the customer to move on if that is not satisfactory.

On the other hand, if you mean the cheating is that they will charge for both plans then I agree that it would be cheating if they did. But I am pretty certain that it wont be the way you are saying. The charges by all ISPs are always prorata for plan changes.

Emil said:
Not sure what you refer to as cheating. They have every right to discontinue a plan for new customers. It is upto the customer to move on if that is not satisfactory.
On the other hand, if you mean the cheating is that they will charge for both plans then I agree that it would be cheating if they did. But I am pretty certain that it wont be the way you are saying. The charges by all ISPs are always prorata for plan changes.
Hi,

What they very clearly told me when i called the cs to query the same is that they would charge for both the plans, meaning, u complusory buy the 1mbps plan and then after 24 to 48 hrs latter call back and chk if ur profile has been updated on their servers or not, if it has been updated, then and only then can u make a request for a plan downgrade which will then be done in the next 24 to 48 hrs and as per the billing, if ur profile takes 4 days to update, then too u will have to pay for the 1mbps for the time it takes to downgrade to 600k, or in anycase, the lady said that u have to pay 2199+tax and 999+tax for the 400k if u opt for or 1399+tax for the 600k plan, for which the rates are pre-defined.

vishalk said:
if ur profile takes 4 days to update, then too u will have to pay for the 1mbps for the time it takes to downgrade to 600k,
This is quite clear and natural. Though it is too stupid for them to have such a loophole if they felt that the 400Kbps was not viable. Others like MTNL just discontinue a plan and don't allow new subscribers nor do they allow existing subscribers to migrate to it. They only allow existing subscribers to stay on that plan.
vishalk said:
or in anycase, the lady said that u have to pay 2199+tax and 999+tax for the 400k if u opt for or 1399+tax for the 600k plan, for which the rates are pre-defined.
This sort of contradicts the earlier part. Maybe she did not express herslf clear enough. She may have meant that you have to pay at that rate rather than that entire amount.
But if you are right then that would be thoroughly unfair. Can't say about it being illegal though. You need to also check out one more thing. Whether Reliance can switch plans in the middle of a plan period or it will be syncronized with the next period.
Knowing Reliance, you also cannot go by any verbal assurance that you can switch plans later. Or you might find, to your utter dismay, that you are not allowed to switch to the discontinued plan at all. So go for it if one of the following conditions are satisfied.
1. There is some legal commitment in writing that you are allowed to switch to the plan of your choice after signing up.
OR
2. You are prepared for it if you have to continue with the 1 mbps plan.
OR
3. There is no cost to you if you discontinue at short notice.

1) do you have to give any non refundable amount to get the connection (including modem)...

if that is so:

2) they will have to reimburse everything, before they can even claim such discontinuation of plans which do not benefit you

3) approach consumser forum for that amount plus oppurtunity cost plus inconvenice plus cost of getting a new connection and apology :)

all considering that they are forcing you to take 1 mppbs plan

jith77 said:
1) do you have to give any non refundable amount to get the connection (including modem)...

if that is so:

2) they will have to reimburse everything, before they can even claim such discontinuation of plans which do not benefit you

3) approach consumser forum for that amount plus oppurtunity cost plus inconvenice plus cost of getting a new connection and apology :)

all considering that they are forcing you to take 1 mppbs plan

I believe you misunderstand the situation. Reliance is not discontinuing a plan availed of by an existing subscriber. They are limiting it for new subscriptions. Nothing you can do about it. It is their choice. Take it or go to a competitor.

@vishalk: The same thing happened to me when I opted for a Reliance Wimax coonection around 2 weeks back as in I had to necessarily opt for the 1 Mbps plan.

Pls note however that the customer would not have to pay for both plans. Your friend will be charged for the 1Mbps connection on a pro-rata basis for the no. of days he used the connection and similarly for the lower plan. So in case he uses 1 Mbps connection for 10 days and 400Kbps for 20 days, his approx. bill for the month would be Rs. 733 + Rs. 666 + Tax on the total amount.

Cheers!

Hi,

On my friends request, i had once again called the reliance cs and this time asked for the floor supervisor and this is what i was told...

1. We have DISCONTINUED 400k and 600k plan for NEW SUSCRIBERS.
2. A new suscriber can book the service with only the 1mbps plan, for which the rate would be 2199+tax and no install cost if the suscriber is paying for a quaterly or 6 monthly or yearly plan.
3. User, upon placing the request will be given only the 1mbps plan and that the USER CAN CHANGE OR DOWNGRADE THE PLAN to 400k or 600lk once theuser profile has been updated with us by the agency who connected the user.
4.The user will be BILLED for the 1MBPS plan FOR THE PERIOD THE PLAN HAS BEEN USED, in this case, once the profile updates in 24 to 48 hrs, the user can ask for a plan change but cannot change in the middle of the month.
5.The billing will BE AS PER THE PLAN RATES MENTIONED BY RELIANCE ON ITS WEBSITE

i guess my this converstaion sums it all up that maybe yes they reserve the right to stop a plan for new suscribers, BUT however, they cannot say that 1st u buy the 1mbps, pay for it and then downgrade and also pay for it....thats UNFAIR....

This change is only for the WIMAX and not the WIRED users coz the WIRED users can still get the 400k and the 600k plans...

vishalk said:
Hi,

On my friends request, i had once again called the reliance cs and this time asked for the floor supervisor and this is what i was told...

1. We have DISCONTINUED 400k and 600k plan for NEW SUSCRIBERS.
2. A new suscriber can book the service with only the 1mbps plan, for which the rate would be 2199+tax and no install cost if the suscriber is paying for a quaterly or 6 monthly or yearly plan.
3. User, upon placing the request will be given only the 1mbps plan and that the USER CAN CHANGE OR DOWNGRADE THE PLAN to 400k or 600lk once theuser profile has been updated with us by the agency who connected the user.
4.The user will be BILLED for the 1MBPS plan FOR THE PERIOD THE PLAN HAS BEEN USED, in this case, once the profile updates in 24 to 48 hrs, the user can ask for a plan change but cannot change in the middle of the month.
5.The billing will BE AS PER THE PLAN RATES MENTIONED BY RELIANCE ON ITS WEBSITE

i guess my this converstaion sums it all up that maybe yes they reserve the right to stop a plan for new suscribers, BUT however, they cannot say that 1st u buy the 1mbps, pay for it and then downgrade and also pay for it....thats UNFAIR....

This change is only for the WIMAX and not the WIRED users coz the WIRED users can still get the 400k and the 600k plans...

Oh I get their scheme now. Basically it is a cash flow scam where customers pay for their cashflow. They have discontinued the cheaper plans but you can still switch to them. But meanwhile you have already paid them a few months advance at the 1 mbps rate.
They now hold your money for many extra months because you change your plan and thus your monthly rate. But you get no refund. You start of thinking you have paid a 6 months advance but effectively becomes a 1 year or more advance.
It reminds me of the "seller is king" days when you paid to book a Fiat or a Baja Chetak which would be delivered to you after 6 years or more.
You will not have anything to fight them legally. The best way to kick their butt is to collectively boycott them. The online press is your friend.

So what will be my first bill(10 days for 1mbps+20days for 400kbps) ?

And how much I have to pay for first time foe new connection ?

What is the minimum unlimited plan offered by reliance wimax ?
Thank you.....

Trying to get Reliance WIMAX for myself in Pune as I am in Magarpatta and my apartment is being newly made and no one is ready to offer me internet except for Reliance. They are talking about the same plan. The 1mbps plan and it seems quite good for the price offered. Let me see how it goes. Will reply back here in 5 days hopefully from my home.

ultimabasher said:
Trying to get Reliance WIMAX for myself in Pune as I am in Magarpatta and my apartment is being newly made and no one is ready to offer me internet except for Reliance. They are talking about the same plan. The 1mbps plan and it seems quite good for the price offered. Let me see how it goes. Will reply back here in 5 days hopefully from my home.

I think you can get BSNL connections in some buildings in magarpatta.

Revolution said:
So what will be my first bill(10 days for 1mbps+20days for 400kbps) ?
And how much I have to pay for first time foe new connection ?
What is the minimum unlimited plan offered by reliance wimax ?
Thank you.....

hey dude,

this is what a friend of mine here in mumbai paid....

1, 2199+tax for 1mbps when he submitted the form alongwith the documents
2. no install cost as they now provide equiptment without install cost
3. the CS guy told him to call back after 7 days to see if his profile has been updated and if yes, he has the chance to change the plan to 400k which he originally wanred to buy.
4. the CS guy told him that he would be billed for 7 days for the 1mbps and for the rest of the month or the time from when his plan changes to 400k,
which would mean that u 1st pay 2199+tax frm which they would adjust the 400k which would be 999+tax when the plan change takes effect.

however, if u are looking for a wired connection then this doesnot apply to u at all as this is only for the wimax connections.

As usual Reliance is adopting all unethical practices. I don't see any reason behind take 1mbps now and downgrade to 400/600 later. Either it should be available from day 1 or not available at all.

Reliance is meant for CHEATING I am also a victim of Reliance, dont try to use Reliance land line too. Still I am getting for a closed account and I complained it many times.

Reliance is meant for CHEATING I am also a victim of Reliance, dont try to use Reliance land line too. Still I am getting bill for a closed account and I complained it many times.

Back