Relocating to Bangalore: Seeking Advice and Insights

Wittycomment

Disciple
Hello everyone,

I'm about to move out of my hometown and home for the first time, and I'm still processing how I'll navigate through this new chapter of my life.

### Air Travel and Clothing

To begin with, I have some concerns about air travel as it will be my first time flying. Despite asking various people for advice, I still feel anxious. I've decided to book a late-night flight so that I'll arrive in Bangalore in the morning. While I have a general idea about air travel, I would appreciate any additional tips or things to keep in mind. Let's start with clothing and any tips on travelling from airport to indiranagar.

### Accommodation and Indiranagar Insights

Regarding accommodation, I initially planned to search for places online before relocating, but many have suggested that it's better to stay in a hotel temporarily and explore options in person. Therefore, I've decided to follow that advice.

My office is located in Indiranagar, and I would greatly appreciate any insights about the area. Additionally, I'm considering staying in a PG or a coliving space initially, as renting a flat requires a deposit and involves significant setup. I'm specifically considering the FF21 coliving space KBH or any other place that is in close proximity to Indiranagar.

### Commuting and Cost Management

Starting with temporary accomodation, where should I search for options like OYO or other similar sites? Is it better to book a few days in advance or wait until I arrive in Bangalore? Additionally, what is the average cost?

I've heard a lot about Bangalore's bad traffic, although people have mentioned that it is relatively similar to Delhi's traffic. If I find a place that is 6-7 kilometers away from the office, would it be manageable to commute daily, or should I focus on finding accommodation within walking distance of the office?

Unfortunately, I didn't receive any relocation assistance, so I'll have to manage the costs on my own. Initially, I was expecting some support, but it has now been included in my fixed component. It's not ideal, but I'll manage until I receive my first salary. Could you please provide an estimate of how much money I should budget for a two-week stay that would cover my accommodation?

### Modes of Transportation

I'm also curious about the modes of transportation commonly used by people in Bangalore on a daily basis. Since my office follows a hybrid work model, I'll be commuting to the office twice a week. People have suggested getting a two-wheeler as four-wheelers are not practical there. I might consider that option within a month or two. In the meantime, what cost-effective and efficient modes of travel do people use in Bangalore? I've heard mixed reviews about the metro connectivity, and apparently, Uber rides get canceled frequently.

Thank you in advance for your insights and advice

Hello @Wittycomment !

1) For traveling from the airport it shouldn't be an issue as there are BMTC buses for that. These buses run from the airport to every corner of the city at intervals of 15 minutes or so. Please plan your accommodation accordingly. Also, do not forget carry an umbrella as it could rain at any point

2) You could consider options like Zolo, Oyo, Colive, etc. These are usually maintained and albeit expensive that the local options. The rooms in the local PGs are usually very small. There could be exceptions and hence, it'd be better to visit and then finalize.

3) If you cannot avail corporate accomodation, try Oyo or Airbnb for a week or so where you'd get time to finalize a place. There are places where you'd be able to get temporary accommodation but then you'd have to do some research to find such.
Indiranagar and the surrounding area gets very crowded and hence it'd be a good idea to stay somewhere close. If your office is somewhere near to the Metro station you could consider staying somewhere around 2/3 stops away as well. Metros could get crowded but it's manageable.

4) Like I mentioned, Metro would be a better option. By road it's gonna be quite difficult given the traffic in that area. You could consider getting a two wheeler later on which should make things easier to travel to the other areas. BMTC transport is also another option but having your own vehicle is always better.

Welcome to Bengaluru!

1. If you are alone. Use BMTC, they are nearly 24/7. Check the timings from the airport to Indranagara here. These buses have fixed times, if you arrive early or late, you have to wait it out.

2. Colive and Oyo are good options to start with, you can explore Domlur 1st stage which offers multiple options for service apartments and PGs. You can try https://www.nestaway.com/ however, I have seen mixed feedback about this site. You can use it to gauge prices.

3. Get a used scooter or a lightweight-comfortable-commuter bike + a rain jacket. Ola/Uber are unreliable at peak hours. BMTC buses/Metro can get crowded.

Keep in mind, the traffic starts ~7 and can last till 9/10. If you travel after 10 but before 12, the journey is usually smooth. Same for leaving, traffic after 5 is very hectic, usually up until 9/10. This is from my experience staying in Bannerghatta Road (Near Decathlon) and communting to Jayanagar in 2 wheeler (Office was ~8 km away, but travel times ranged from 20 minutes to 45 minutes on 2 wheeler, 30 minutes to 1 hour via bus).

You can rent a scooter / bike for a month, but the cost usually comes up to 1 month EMI for a 2-wheeler anyways, so if you want to stay in bangalore / karnataka for longer duration, buying a two wheeler would be a good option. Metro card is also a good option, and if used occasionally can save you little money.

When shifting, do look if the place has water heater / geyser and power backup. Winters here can be relatively cold and hot water at that time is a bliss. Make sure there aren't any signs of water leakage.

There are usually shortcuts or inner roads which might not show up in google maps (The roads might appear broken and not connected) so its worth exploring areas near your office to have alternate routes in case there is traffic in one route.

Hello @Wittycomment !

1) For traveling from the airport it shouldn't be an issue as there are BMTC buses for that. These buses run from the airport to every corner of the city at intervals of 15 minutes or so. Please plan your accommodation accordingly. Also, do not forget carry an umbrella as it could rain at any point

2) You could consider options like Zolo, Oyo, Colive, etc. These are usually maintained and albeit expensive that the local options. The rooms in the local PGs are usually very small. There could be exceptions and hence, it'd be better to visit and then finalize.

3) If you cannot avail corporate accomodation, try Oyo or Airbnb for a week or so where you'd get time to finalize a place. There are places where you'd be able to get temporary accommodation but then you'd have to do some research to find such.
Indiranagar and the surrounding area gets very crowded and hence it'd be a good idea to stay somewhere close. If your office is somewhere near to the Metro station you could consider staying somewhere around 2/3 stops away as well. Metros could get crowded but it's manageable.

4) Like I mentioned, Metro would be a better option. By road it's gonna be quite difficult given the traffic in that area. You could consider getting a two wheeler later on which should make things easier to travel to the other areas. BMTC transport is also another option but having your own vehicle is always better.
Thanks man for all the information. I will definitely get an umbrella or rain-wear as many people have mentioned.
Welcome to Bengaluru!

1. If you are alone. Use BMTC, they are nearly 24/7. Check the timings from the airport to Indranagara here. These buses have fixed times, if you arrive early or late, you have to wait it out.

2. Colive and Oyo are good options to start with, you can explore Domlur 1st stage which offers multiple options for service apartments and PGs. You can try https://www.nestaway.com/ however, I have seen mixed feedback about this site. You can use it to gauge prices.

3. Get a used scooter or a lightweight-comfortable-commuter bike + a rain jacket. Ola/Uber are unreliable at peak hours. BMTC buses/Metro can get crowded.
Thanks, i have looked at nest away. I was looking for some low deposit or no deposit accommodation for the time being.
Keep in mind, the traffic starts ~7 and can last till 9/10. If you travel after 10 but before 12, the journey is usually smooth. Same for leaving, traffic after 5 is very hectic, usually up until 9/10. This is from my experience staying in Bannerghatta Road (Near Decathlon) and communting to Jayanagar in 2 wheeler (Office was ~8 km away, but travel times ranged from 20 minutes to 45 minutes on 2 wheeler, 30 minutes to 1 hour via bus).

You can rent a scooter / bike for a month, but the cost usually comes up to 1 month EMI for a 2-wheeler anyways, so if you want to stay in bangalore / karnataka for longer duration, buying a two wheeler would be a good option. Metro card is also a good option, and if used occasionally can save you little money.

When shifting, do look if the place has water heater / geyser and power backup. Winters here can be relatively cold and hot water at that time is a bliss. Make sure there aren't any signs of water leakage.

There are usually shortcuts or inner roads which might not show up in google maps (The roads might appear broken and not connected) so its worth exploring areas near your office to have alternate routes in case there is traffic in one route.
Thanks for the info. Keep all these things in mind.

Back