Relocating to Mumbai from Bangalore: Some queries about Mumbai

I am relocating from Bangalore to Mumbai. I have few queries about Mumbai which are below:

1. My office is in Airoli. I want to live in Powai area. I would be using public transportation. So I wanted to know if it's feasible or not? How much time will it take to reach Airoli from Powai?

2. How to find a good flat for rent in Mumbai? I would prefer 1 room kitchen or 1BHK flat. I have seen he average price for this kind of flats is 8-10k. Is there any cheap area near Powai/Airoli?

Please answer my queries? :)

Konquerror said:
I am relocating from Bangalore to Mumbai. I have few queries about Mumbai which are below:

1. My office is in Airoli. I want to live in Powai area. I would be using public transportation. So I wanted to know if it's feasible or not? How much time will it take to reach Airoli from Powai?

2. How to find a good flat for rent in Mumbai? I would prefer 1 room kitchen or 1BHK flat. I have seen he average price for this kind of flats is 8-10k. Is there any cheap area near Powai/Airoli?

1) Powai would be very expensive(overall) and time consuming. I'd say not feasible

You can consider Thane or vashi also for accommodation. vashi for its proximity to Airoli and Thane for is connectivity to various parts of mumbai.

Thane has a lot of PG/rental options due to many IT companies employees staying there.

2) Mostly thru Brokers. Do you have any colleagues in mumbai office? you can get in touch with them.

If your office is in Airoli, don't go for Powai. It will be expensive and Powai is a traffic nightmare.

Best option is to find a place in Airoli itself which will be cheapest. You can try Thane, Mulund or Koparkhairane as well. Mulund would be slightly expensive than other 2.

Either live in airoli...it is far from anything fun but office commute will be short

OR live in Mulund, airoli is only a bridge away

You will need to change buses atleast once if going to airoli from powai and the roads in front of IIT are always jampacked.

That is unless you have transport of your own

Powai to Airoli on a cycle takes 30 mins and ~10-15mins on a bike

Area's surrounding Powai like opposite-IIT/chandivali/rambaug are good for budget accomodations (but iit traffic will be in between)

Near EE like kanjurmarg/bhandup are more feasible if you want to live within half hour of both airoli and powai

Konquerror said:

try manpada, thane...2 bhk rent is 10-12k..dunno abt 1bhk...area is good and near to airoli....

@OP,
is there any particular reason why you want to stay at Powai?
as many ppl have already pointed out, since you are going to work at Airoli, there are much cheaper/closer alternatives.

nukeu666 said:
Near EE like kanjurmarg/bhandup are more feasible if you want to live within half hour of both airoli and powai
+1 to this if you can compromise.

Learning marathi is not a necessity but will help while dealing with many shopkeepers/vendors/bus conductors etc. Hindi will be more than enough for survival.

btw welcome to Mumbai.

as already said above, powai to airoli everyday 2 ways will be a nightmare....

welcome to mumbai....

if u aint used to the following, u soon will:

-pot holes..

-mumbai rains...

-traffic...

-etc n other things u might not like and find here...

-and above all, the spirit of mumbai :)

Any particular reason for staying in Powai ? I stayed at Airoli & my office was in Powai.
So , if you believe me the connectivity is good between Airoli & Powai. It will take around 20-25 mins through Highway.
There are so many buses which ply between powai & airoli & some of them use highway. So ,commutation is not a problem.
It will take around 1-1.5 hour in your two way journey. I have commuted for 2.5 years on the same route & I always took the buses plying via highway.

If you change your mind & decide to stay in Airoli, Sector - 6,7,8 are best with all amenities. Also, you can consider Ghansoli or Koparkhairne - they are 10-15 mins from Airoli.
Btw are you joining Capgemini or Patni?

For any query related to Airoli you can PM me.
I loved my stay at Airoli but currently I am at Thane.

Thanks a lot guys for reply. Well I am planning to stay in Powai because my friends are there in Powai. I am joining Capgemini :).

I was thinking of getting a flat near IIT Gate itself...I saw the distance on google maps and it comes around 12kms. The route which I am seeing is Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road - Eastern Express Higway - Airoli Bridge - Capgemini.

Well is transportation really an issue? If it is so then I would prefer Airoli itself. I will search in areas suggested by you guys.

I just wanted to know that my company is providing accommodation for 7 days...are 7 days enough to find a flat in Mumbai?

Well for me its the other way round. I stay in Airoli and my office is in Powai. :p
Travel time would take around half an hour, but with public transport it would be atleast 45 minutes (minimum).
You do get buses from Airoli to Powai. Local bus transportaion is not a problem, but the traffic is.

About getting a flat in 7 days: You will have to check out with a broker. But mind you, the broker will charge you atleast 1 or 1.5 times the rent. So kindly check out with your friends/colleagues who are already in Mumbai.

I just rented 1BHK for 14k in Chembur... and I visited quite a few flats and talked to quite a few brokers..So in the end I believe I got a good deal..

Powai must be having same rates if not more..

Well if you want to balance well between your friends and office, then Kanjurmarg, Bhandup or Mulund are your best options. Staying in those areas will give you easy access to Highway (thus less time in traffic) to Airoli, as well as visiting Powai to catch up with your friends on weekends. :)

Welcome to Mumbai. :hap2:

Welcome to Mumbai. As I am not an expert on the areas being discussed I would go with the recommendations of the others as they seem logical. Mulund perhaps would be to your advantage.

Well on searching on sulekha.com, I'm seeing many 1BHK flats for rent in Sector 20, near patni computers...is it okay to rent a flat in sector 20?

Well is learning Marathi is such a big deal? I'm a North Indian...and am living in Bangalore for past 2 years without learning Kannada...can't I survive Mumbai without Marathi at all?

Konquerror said:
Well on searching on sulekha.com, I'm seeing many 1BHK flats for rent in Sector 20, near patni computers...is it okay to rent a flat in sector 20?
Not a good option.. Try for sector 6 or 7.. on main road...

Back