Removed Laptop Screen, WiFi Is disabled now. WLAN card was connected to screen.

raksrules

Elite
I have a lenovo laptop whose screen went bad and since it is a 2 in 1, I was planning to just put the laptop in tablet mode and then use it with external monitor.
When putting in tablet mode, the keyboard and track pad is disabled. To fix this, I decided to remove the laptop screen Completely. This is how my laptops looks now..
Adjustments.jpg

I can connect the laptop to my tv via hdmi and it works. But now laptop's wifi is completely disabled. I found that the screen has 2 wires coming out which are attached the WLAN card on laptop's motherboard. I unattached them thinking it was probably do that laptop would turn off wifi when lid was closed. But seems that caused the wifi to be completely disabled.
Here is the screen how it looks now after it ass separated from laptop with the pic of those 2 wires which were connected to the WLAN card.
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Now I know I could buy a usb wifi card to restore wifi functionally but want to check if I can continue using the inbuilt card.

Not sure if I should say disabled or something else. I get this globe sign in Taskbar bottom right and this is what my network connections show now.
View attachment 85469View attachment 85468

Is It like those 2 wires were active as antennas? Seems weird.

Last edited:
These look like standard wifi antennas. You should be able to get replacements and connect them to your wifi card. Cable routing could be an issue though.

These look like standard wifi antennas. You should be able to get replacements and connect them to your wifi card. Cable routing could be an issue though.

Replacement of what? I don't intend to replace screen as it is too expensive and I am not sure if screen or motherboard has issue with display. I want to use the laptop like this only connected to external monitor.

Fixed it. I salvaged the antennas from the screen (screen is useless anyways) and runs connected back to the WLAN card and taped the wires inside the chassis. Now WiFi works.

Fixed it. I salvaged the antennas from the screen (screen is useless anyways) and runs connected back to the WLAN card and taped the wires inside the chassis. Now WiFi works.
Yes, that is what i meant i.e. replacing the antennas (not talking about the screen).

I'm assuming the laptop is not old, a screen assembly from eBay shouldn't be very expensive. Recently fixed an elite book screen, not very difficult.
If you can source a cheap assembly, give it a try

I'm assuming the laptop is not old, a screen assembly from eBay shouldn't be very expensive. Recently fixed an elite book screen, not very difficult.
If you can source a cheap assembly, give it a try

Problem Is I am not sure if the screen is bad or there is problems with pins on motherboard that connect to screen. Have showed to few shops but they are unable to fix. I did check screen cost and it was $150 and it is not a sure shot fix so not keen on going that route.

Back