Budget 0-20k Request for a suggestion to GPU upgrade!

sriharsha

Disciple
Dear All,

Greetings from Mysuru!. With the help of TEians, I had my first PC built in 2016. Now, I want to retain all the configuration and upgrade only the GPU and later add 8 gigs of RAM. I would like to play recent PC games at 1080p without any bottle neck issues at least for next 4 - 5 years. Currently, my son and myself are using the gig. Kindly give your best and VFM options.
Best Regards

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel I5 - 4444
    • Motherboard – MSI B85M
    • GPU – GTX 970
    • RAM – G.SKill 2X4GB
    • Monitor – Sony 24 inches (1080P)
    • PSU – Seasonic 620W
    • Normal Keyboard and Mouse
    • Storage – 1 TB HDD and 256 gb SSD
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Everything except GPU
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • GPU
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • RAM – another 8GB(?)
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore and/ or Mysuru
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None. After sale services should be good.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Any AAA titles for next 5 years at 1080p at possible high settings.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  1. Gaming – 1080p
  2. Desktop - 1080p
  1. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  2. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit
Thank you.

The best you can get in your budget is a used 3060. I would recommend an AMD card, but I hardly see any used AMD cards. And in your budget, you'll not get a new card capable of 1080 ultra in new games.

My suggestion would be see if you can grab a 3060Ti. If it's less than 2 years old, you should be good for another 4-5 years and it should cost you 25-28k.

However, I doubt that processor can carry you for another 4-5 years. It will bottleneck your new GPU to an extent. You can think of upgrading the GPU now and other components by the end of the year.

You could have got a intel arc 750. But I doubt it will support your processor. Next is RX6600. Anyways you will have to extend budget till 25k.

You will easily get 3060ti in your budget. Have seen lot of seller's on FB and whatsapp groups selling for that price.
Even 6700xt will be available for that price afaik

The best you can get in your budget is a used 3060. I would recommend an AMD card, but I hardly see any used AMD cards. And in your budget, you'll not get a new card capable of 1080 ultra in new games.

My suggestion would be see if you can grab a 3060Ti. If it's less than 2 years old, you should be good for another 4-5 years and it should cost you 25-28k.

However, I doubt that processor can carry you for another 4-5 years. It will bottleneck your new GPU to an extent. You can think of upgrading the GPU now and other components by the end of the year.
Thank you for the response. I am considering a 2060, second hand one!. What would you say??
You could have got a intel arc 750. But I doubt it will support your processor. Next is RX6600. Anyways you will have to extend budget till 25k.
Yep. Arc has PCI 4.0, by my mother board's PCI is 3.0.
You will easily get 3060ti in your budget. Have seen lot of seller's on FB and whatsapp groups selling for that price.
Even 6700xt will be available for that price afaik
Thank you. I am just checking at out TE. how is 2060 (second hand)?

(Slightly overpriced) https://techenclave.com/threads/msi-gaming-x-3060-12-gb.212295/

Will recommend a used Rtx3060 or Rx6600. CPU will be the bottleneck for a more powerful GPU, unless playing at a higher resolution than 1080p.

As a fellow 970 user I have a query. These 3060 series cards, ti or standard, do they consume more power? If not, which models are power efficient and still be considered a significant enough upgrade?

These 3060 series cards, ti or standard, do they consume more power?
More as compared to what? 970? Mostly yes. But 3060 is a reasonably efficient card. I have a 3060 Twin Edge OC. I monitor power consumption using Open hardware monitor, which is reasonably accurate. And I rarely see the card drawing over 170 watts. I play at 1080p High settings, where the card consumes 90-100w most of the time in well optimized games. The card can do 1440 high or even ultra in slightly older titles, but I'm fine with 1080p high, keeps temps and power consumption under control.

If you want to keep power draw low, your best bet is to just keep the settings a bit lower than the max the card can support. You get about 80% of the card's performance for around 50% of the power draw. The final 20% of the performance is the most expensive in terms of power consumption.

More as compared to what? 970? Mostly yes. But 3060 is a reasonably efficient card. I have a 3060 Twin Edge OC. I monitor power consumption using Open hardware monitor, which is reasonably accurate. And I rarely see the card drawing over 170 watts. I play at 1080p High settings, where the card consumes 90-100w most of the time in well optimized games. The card can do 1440 high or even ultra in slightly older titles, but I'm fine with 1080p high, keeps temps and power consumption under control.

If you want to keep power draw low, your best bet is to just keep the settings a bit lower than the max the card can support. You get about 80% of the card's performance for around 50% of the power draw. The final 20% of the performance is the most expensive in terms of power consumption.
Yes, in comparison with 970 obviously. Thanks for the detailed reply. When I upgrade after many years one of my first goal is to look for things which are power efficient – I am not sure whether this is.

Back