Storage Solutions Request quick help for choosing HDD for laptop

articles2004

Disciple
Hi Guys,

Some of you might have seen me in the pc building guide a few days back. Well, I built a nice pc supporting amazing gaming & blah blah...
What to say, I was on cloud nine...

After all that, last weekend I boot my laptop to post reply on TE, I get an error which reads something like this,
'A SMART error has been reported by your hard drive. Get it changed'. :scared14:

As usual, I googled the error. And, I get a frightening warning that the disk can last anywhere between a week to couple of years. Iam not one to take too many risks. I spoke to a dell reseller & he has quoted me 10k for an original dell part 500GB HDD. But when I searched in flipkart with this 'laptop internal hard drive' I get so many results way below 6k. Wonder why it costs so much for the reseller... :23:

Can someone pls guide me whether my laptop and HDD (that I plan to buy) will be in sync or should I just buy it from dell reseller?
I know Iam not yet literate enuff, sorry guys.

Laptop : Studio 1735, core 2 duo, 3GB internal RAM, currently have 320GB HDD with vista

HDD I plan to buy:
1) 500GB : WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD for 3.7k
WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD5000LPVT): Flipkart.com

2) 1TB: WD 1 TB HDD for 5.8k
WD 1 TB Laptop Internal Hard Drive (WD10JPVT): Flipkart.com

Tks all for your views & responses, really helps. Appreciate if you can respond early, bcz I dont know when my old HDD might crash :signthankspin:

Rgds

If your laptop is not under warranty, then there's no point buying it from a Dell reseller.

Any 2.5" SATA drive will do (both the ones you picked above are fine). Pick whatever size you need, will work fine. You can look through your manual for instructions on removing your HDD caddy to replace the drive.

In the meantime you can use apps like HD Sentinel or Crystal Disk Info to give you real-time updates on your drive's SMART status which will give you an idea on how much life is left in them.

Oh, thats nice. Tks for that Crazy_Eddy.

Few months back I had to replace a Dell battery bought two third-party batteries which never worked with the laptop.
Finally I had to order an original battery from Dell & thus ended up paying double the cost.

Since then on Iam so afraid about dell spares. Better to get clarity from the experts. So, tks again - will order rightaway at FK.

Back