Requirement for wireless network and media center for streaming wirelessly

utkarsh86

Disciple
I have a house which is about 1500 sq feet, 3 bed rooms, and a living room, basically i need a router which can give me a strong signal in all the rooms.

1.ISP :Local Cable Provider using the cable connection via a cable modem

2.Plan : 15 Mbps

3.Connection Type: Cable internet!

4. Budget is 8 - 10K

All the bedrooms are wired with Cat 5 ethernet, so my idea is to setup a media center using the router and stream media wirelessly/ wired to my smart television/ laptop/ gaming console. I am a little ignorant when it comes to this. I was looking at routers that allow you to plug in a USB drive to stream content.

If there are options like a media center also please let me know.

I was considering the following

Asus RT-AC66U / Asus RT-AC56U / RT 68U
Linksys E4200/ E3200
Netgear R6300 / Netgear’s R7000 / Netgear R6250.

All help is appreciated

Last edited:
^ac66u or 68u if budget permits... Currently I use 56u and kept in one corner of the house, the signal doesn't reach well to the another corner of the house because of internal antenna

^ac66u or 68u if budget permits... Currently I use 56u and kept in one corner of the house, the signal doesn't reach well to the another corner of the house because of internal antenna
My budget is 10k at the most, i cant find 66 for cheaper than 12K. Is there any other you can suggest

^I've no idea on routers generally... I was like your situation and decided on 68u, but found out my budget can fetch only 56u :( . Except range issue, I don't have any other complaint against 56u.

I have the RT-N66U and it doesn't have enough range to reach the other end of my house (~1800 sqft). I'm currently using a mixture of a couple of powerline adapters, a DSL router and an Asus RT-N66u.

Router placement is very important. If you can place it in a central location then it should suffice.

Cheaper option would be to use homeplugs... Uses your house wiring for networking and quite stable connection. I have a AC68U and a gigabit connection but I prefer the simplicity of home plugs for maintaining a network connection.

Back